Dak's running may help for a bit, but it will end badly

ghst187

Reaction score
If Dak insists on staying in the pocket he becomes a super average qb. If he runs a decent amount, he vaults into the top 10ish. Same with Hurtz, Lamar, Allen, etc.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is wrong.

Dak is running 3.3 times per game this year. Staubach had 5 seasons where he rushed for that or more, including one at 4.1.

If you think Dak is running the ball a lot you aren't paying attention. Dak is no more than middle of the league for QB rushing attempts.
he tends to just make up stuff to argue. he doesn't do any research to say, yeah, here is why I think something.....he is lazy. he was an alcoholic and hopefully hasn't fallen off the wagon. then again some of the posts remind you of his past.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah, but he was able to instill Dak as the quarterback before he left, ensuring that his mediocrity continued.
who else would you have plugged in there.

I am sure I will wait at least 10 years and still not get an answer. because you never have one. you just like to complain....

leeblair

Reaction score
who else would you have plugged in there.

I am sure I will wait at least 10 years and still not get an answer. because you never have one. you just like to complain....
No, because I am just about done with the Dallas Cowboys.
However, if McCarthy can get Dak straightened out, I would be happy for Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ok, this is the 15th time you have said. Which makes you a bandwagon fan. You have rooted for titans when they were on the upswing. You became a vikings fan when they were in upswing.

And as you just admitted. You have no answers. Just complains. Complainers just want to talk and want ears and try to recruit other complainers.

leeblair

Reaction score
Ok, this is the 15th time you have said. Which makes you a bandwagon fan. You have rooted for titans when they were on the upswing. You became a vikings fan when they were in upswing.

And as you just admitted. You have no answers. Just complains. Complainers just want to talk and want ears and try to recruit other complainers.
And you're an idiot.
Just because I like watching other teams doesn't mean I quit loving the Cowboys.
But, no; you take the easy way out, hoping to win an argument.
You don't have the intelligence to comprehend common sense.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
"This just in!!! When a QB can extend a play coverages break down..its a new development in the NFL!!!" "We caught up with Pat Mahomes to get his take on this new development..he oddly looked at us like we were new to football..."

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Running quarterbacks are again a fad in the NFL.
But just like before, and just like the Ravens found out and the Eagles, and the Falcons with Vick, the NFL shied away from running quarterbacks because they eventually get hurt, and leave their team without a starter.
Dak was a running quarterback in college and his passing was bad. This is nothing new.
Like you really care about Dak whether he runs or not. Just say it. I HATE DAK.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And you're an idiot.
Just because I like watching other teams doesn't mean I quit loving the Cowboys.
But, no; you take the easy way out, hoping to win an argument.
You don't have the intelligence to comprehend common sense.
oooh, I touched a nerve given you went straight into insults. I didn't say I was done with cowboys. you did.
and you have said this in the past and as I said, interestingly you jumped on Titans and Vikins banddwagon at the time.
you have never been a true cowboys fan.
you are just a complainer.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Running quarterbacks are again a fad in the NFL.
But just like before, and just like the Ravens found out and the Eagles, and the Falcons with Vick, the NFL shied away from running quarterbacks because they eventually get hurt, and leave their team without a starter.
Dak was a running quarterback in college and his passing was bad. This is nothing new.
Not a "fad" - Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach and plenty of QBs "ran" too...so stop this naive, childish, simplified view of the NFL history of QBing.

And another thing: QBs are protected IN AND OUT of the pocket so the danger is dramatically minimized for cautious QBs like Russell Wilson who don't try to take on LBers. You can run for years and be fine.

That said, I did predict that Dak's inability to consistently operate from the pocket would cause him to revert to his Miss St days and he'll get injured. If Dak puts himself in harm's way like that...YES...he will get hurt and I do agree that he has that propensity. But the notion that Patrick Mahomes is a "fad" - he runs and makes more off-script plays than anyone - is a joke. Josh Allen puts himself in harm's way more than any other QB. Joe Burrow put his head down last week to get a first down. STOP IT.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Shouldn't count on Dak's legs, just like they should have never counted on Romo's legs. Escapability should only be out of a rare necessity.

McCarthy needs to come into the game with a solid game play built on Cowboys strengths and opponent weaknesses. And then he needs to call a good game. And Dak should execute the gameplan efficiently, making solid reads, and throwing it away when things are covered.

But I do hope for more bootlegs, and the occasional rollout, and the occasional read option (and Dak needs to keep it even if it only gains a yard or two, to keep the defense honest). Using his legs within the scheme of the play is good, but hoping that Dak "makes a play" more often than not will produce injuries and turnovers in the pocket. Dak shouldn't hold onto the ball to try make a play unless it's absolutely necessary, otherwise just step up and throw it away once the play breaks down.

Bullet22

Reaction score
Staubach scrambled, but didn't run.
He tried that and ended up with a separated shoulder, and Landry was mad.
There's a difference between scrambling and using the quarterback as a running back.
That was during preseason...didn't make it back until the playoffs....came off the bench and won the game...

leeblair

Reaction score
Not a "fad" - Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach and plenty of QBs "ran" too...so stop this naive, childish, simplified view of the NFL history of QBing.

And another thing: QBs are protected IN AND OUT of the pocket so the danger is dramatically minimized for cautious QBs like Russell Wilson who don't try to take on LBers. You can run for years and be fine.

That said, I did predict that Dak's inability to consistently operate from the pocket would cause him to revert to his Miss St days and he'll get injured. If Dak puts himself in harm's way like that...YES...he will get hurt and I do agree that he has that propensity. But the notion that Patrick Mahomes is a "fad" - he runs and makes more off-script plays than anyone - is a joke. Josh Allen puts himself in harm's way more than any other QB. Joe Burrow put his head down last week to get a first down. STOP IT.
Both Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes are scramblers, but Josh Allen is risking too much as well. His decision to call himself for a running play is a disaster waiting to happen. Sooner or later he'll get tackled the wrong way and the Bills are out of the playoffs.
Same thing with Mahomes; he calls on himself for a designed run less often, but scrambling as much as he does is still risky. But he's good; there's no doubt about that.