Twitter: Dak's stock keeps rising

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I remember in Dak's rookie year, when he made less in one full season than Stafford made in 1 quarter playing against Dak on Monday Night Football, people like Catch yelled and screamed that Stafford should've been named to the pro bowl over Dak that year...and how Stafford (who is from Texas) was going to show up Dak on National T.V.

Dak then proceeded to own Stafford and had probably the best game a rookie QB has had on MNF.

Yeah imagine dissin the QB who has only one playoff win in 4 years in favor of a QB who has 0 playoff wins in 12 years.. Stafford, like Dalton is allegedly a better passer than Dak even though the numbers say different. Dak has a higher passer rating, a higher QBR a higher completion percentage and a better TD/INT ratio.. But stats don't matter unless they lead to wins.. But wait.. Dak has a better won/loss record too. But let's put all that aside in favor of "the eye test." We like the way Stafford looks better.. so that's who we would prefer at QB. Yeah.. that's the ticket..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Burrows looks amazing as well. Both studs. Both will get 40 million plus in 4 years.

5.. both their teams will use that 5th year option.. so they won't have to fork over the mega money until 2025. By then the going rate might be 50.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
yep...these clown were complaining that dak was just a bus driver and could never carry a team.

they have been proven wrong 10 times over. They can’t live with the shame so now they don’t want to pay him. Lol

When did Dak carry us? Define carried us please.

Flamma

Reaction score
Here is the Cowboys list of problems currently:

OT
CB
S
LB
DT

Here the Cowboys list of problems if they don't sign their QB

OT
CB
S
LB
DT
QB.

You don't solve your problems by creating new ones.

Ok so you like plan B. We'll see what direction the Cowboys go come next draft.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Herbert is having a really nice rookie season. But he went to a much better situation than Burrow.. He has two really good receivers and a solid running game. Not having as good a senior season as expected probably saved him from years of misery. Ironically Cincy has the better record by a half game thanks to the Eagles.. I think the Chargers are closer to being a competitive team than the Bengals.. but we'll have to wait and see. I love what both the kids are doing.. but for all their flowery numbers they have a combined record of 3-11-1. As we are reminded every day on this board.. If your stats don't lead to wins then they are of no value. And they both have the benefit of playing opposite a better defense than the one we have here in Dallas.
agreed that what we are discussing. Choices take QB or pay one and build defense..hard choice picking in the top 5 with Daks deal looming..

I have no issues as seen in my hypothetical thread i started ,
Paying dak as long as its not even more insane that last years demands and trading from the top 3-4 to say 7th-10th and still get ours Target defenders with more high draft picks..

the extra high picks with trading down 3-4 positions seems very tempting, might be the quickest way to have next years defense not so lopsided from our offense..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ok so you like plan B. We'll see what direction the Cowboys go come next draft.

Yes I do.. The thing about QB is we have all seen that there is no such thing as a sure thing when you draft one. For every one that has succeeded 10 more have fallen flat on their face. The Rams, Eagles and 49ers are already finding out that their golden boy QBs who were miles ahead of Dak coming into the league have hit their celing and really started crashing back to Earth while Dak is still ascending. It's the hardest problem to solve BY FAR yet some want to roll the dice on it. I have never been much of a gambler. If I have 100 bucks in my pocket I'm not handing it to the blackjack dealer in hopes of turning it into 120. Especially since I know if I do the right things with it it will turn into 120 on its own.. That's what this situation reminds me of more than anything. Dak is a 100 dollar bill in the Cowboys' pocket. The college kids MIGHT turn into $120 or $130 down the line.. but before they do they are probably doing to play more like a 20 dollar bill or if they're good a 50 spot. Or hell let's say one of them pulls a Dak and steps right in and is a hundo. Because that happens all the time right? Problem is.. they won't come in behind the best line in football .. If Tyron and La'el don't make it back from their surgeries they might come in behind one of the worst, he won't have the benefit of rookie Zeke whom we are reminded daily is a shell of himself now and just for good measure he will have to carry the worst defense in football.. So the chances that this savior kid folks keep hyping up is going to come in and lead this team to 12 wins next year is a pipe dream. Just by drafting him and ignoring the bigger need on defense we will already have erred. And all this ignores the fact that Dak was already trending toward the $120 level .. It could easily be argued that he was already there. You know the whole 500 yards and 35 points per game thing..

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes I do.. The thing about QB is we have all seen that there is no such thing as a sure thing when you draft one. For every one that has succeeded 10 more have fallen flat on their face. The Rams, Eagles and 49ers are already finding out that their golden boy QBs who were miles ahead of Dak coming into the league have hit their celing and really started crashing back to Earth while Dak is still ascending. It's the hardest problem to solve BY FAR yet some want to roll the dice on it. I have never been much of a gambler. If I have 100 bucks in my pocket I'm not handing it to the blackjack dealer in hopes of turning it into 120. Especially since I know if I do the right things with it it will turn into 120 on its own.. That's what this situation reminds me of more than anything. Dak is a 100 dollar bill in the Cowboys' pocket. The college kids MIGHT turn into $120 or $130 down the line.. but before they do they are probably doing to play more like a 20 dollar bill or if they're good a 50 spot. Or hell let's say one of them pulls a Dak and steps right in and is a hundo. Because that happens all the time right? Problem is.. they won't come in behind the best line in football .. If Tyron and La'el don't make it back from their surgeries they might come in behind one of the worst, he won't have the benefit of rookie Zeke whom we are reminded daily is a shell of himself now and just for good measure he will have to carry the worst defense in football.. So the chances that this savior kid folks keep hyping up is going to come in and lead this team to 12 wins next year is a pipe dream. Just by drafting him and ignoring the bigger need on defense we will already have erred. And all this ignores the fact that Dak was already trending toward the $120 level .. It could easily be argued that he was already there. You know the whole 500 yards and 35 points per game thing..

When he puts those stats up before we're down 3 touchdowns, then we'll know he's there. None of this is up to you and me. But fear not. If Dallas doesn't get the top two picks in the draft, they're probably not going quarterback.

Adreme

Reaction score
5.. both their teams will use that 5th year option.. so they won't have to fork over the mega money until 2025. By then the going rate might be 50.

I believe they changed how the 5th year option works in this CBA for players starting in 2018 which means it will be mega money starting in 2024.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I wish Dak was still the quarterback. Seems like it was just last year he was choking and costing us the division title.Yeah, that was Dak.
Agree! It had absolutely nothing to do w/Moore' play-calling on 4th & goal benching our #1 & #2 receivers when the game/division was literally on the line & decided to run the ball. Yup! Dang Dak choked.

Go cheer for those other two "elite" money stealing 2016 drafts! :rolleyes:

leeblair

Reaction score
Agree! It had absolutely nothing to do w/Moore' play-calling on 4th & goal benching our #1 & #2 receivers when the game/division was literally on the line & decided to run the ball. Yup! Dang Dak choked.

Go cheer for those other two "elite" money stealing 2016 drafts! :rolleyes:
Some posts just don't deserve an answer. This is one of those.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Dak had a terriffic record before he was injured. 2 WINS (Atlanta Falcons and NY Giants), 3 Losses

Regular Season

WK Game Date OPP RESULT
1 09/14/2020 @Rams L 17 - 20
2 09/20/2020 Falcons W 40 - 39
3 09/27/2020 @Seahawks L 31 - 38
4 10/04/2020 Browns L 38 - 49
5 10/11/2020 Giants W 37 - 34

RonnieT24

Reaction score
When he puts those stats up before we're down 3 touchdowns, then we'll know he's there. None of this is up to you and me. But fear not. If Dallas doesn't get the top two picks in the draft, they're probably not going quarterback.

They were never down 3 touchdowns at Seattle.. but somehow managed to put up 450 yards..In fact his going off passing got us the lead in that game.. If only he could have then jumped in and played safety for us and kept the Seahawks from marching right back down the field to retake the lead..

He had 180 yards and 2 TDs in the first quarter against Cleveland and had a lead (there's that word again) until the fumbles derailed us and allowed Cleveland to find its mojo.

He was down 20 against the Falcons and actually brought the team back to a win..

He was down 14 against the Giants and took less than 8 minutes to erase that deficit and take the lead..

So that's 4 of his 5 starts where he staked us to a lead that the defense failed to hold. But in the minds of people like you Dak only produced when we were "down 3 touchdowns." Ignoring the fact that we were only down 3 touchdowns once while he was starting.. And that was against Cleveland. The biggest deficit other than that was 20 against ATL which he erased.

People keep trotting out this absurd false narrative that Dak and the offense were "doing nothing until late in games." The offense was averaging 15.4 points in the first half with Dak at the helm.. Or about 8 points more PER GAME than it has averaged without him. I honestly don't know how people watch the games and then come back to this board with made up "facts" about how it went down. Still in all I agree that Dak is still developing as a quarterback. That's what's so exciting.. The guy is breaking all time records but still has room to grow and the work ethic and smarts to get it done..

I guess the most puzzling thing is that fans don't seem to realize that having Dak Prescott develop into a full grown Jedi at the QB position is the best possible outcome for the Cowboys .. As we have seen he was able to cover up a TON of warts this team had.. Imagine what he could do if we removed some of them? How good would this team be with the 2016 line.. Or with a top 10 defense.. and at least competent special teams? Dak Prescott enabled us to remain competitive despite having the worst defense in the league and one of the worst offensive lines in the league and a special teams unit that had botched two fake punts and downed a ball inside our own 1 yard line. How do I know it was him that made the difference? Because I have watched the guys who replaced him play..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I believe they changed how the 5th year option works in this CBA for players starting in 2018 which means it will be mega money starting in 2024.

Really? I did not know that.. Is that also going to be the uncapped year?

Adreme

Reaction score
Really? I did not know that.. Is that also going to be the uncapped year?

No its just a weird and complex rework. Its really complicated to explain but the simple version is if you make 2 Pro Bowls in your first 4 seasons that 5th year options pays as much as a franchise tag for your position. If you make 1 (or I believe are in the first 10 picks) then the 5th year option is the same as the transition tag (average of top 10 salaries). In both cases it is a pretty sizable boost to the amount you would be paying a player under the 5th-year option especially for QBs.

Flamma

Reaction score
No its just a weird and complex rework. Its really complicated to explain but the simple version is if you make 2 Pro Bowls in your first 4 seasons that 5th year options pays as much as a franchise tag for your position. If you make 1 (or I believe are in the first 10 picks) then the 5th year option is the same as the transition tag (average of top 10 salaries). In both cases it is a pretty sizable boost to the amount you would be paying a player under the 5th-year option especially for QBs.

You summed it up pretty well. But the only big difference in dollar amounts is the franchise tag portion of it. Which I'm not sure how they'll handle.

It used to be players picked 1st through 10th in the draft make Transition tag money. Players drafted 11th through 32nd make the average of 3rd to 25th at their position.

Now there are 4 scenarios, and it doesn't matter where in the first round you were picked.

Average of 3rd to 25th at your position.
Average of 3rd to 20th at your position.
Transition tag money if you make a pro bowl.
Franchise tag money if you make multiple pro bowls.

I found the last one odd. What if a team doesn't want to pay franchise tag money and would like to extend the players contract? They are still forced to pay that player for his 5th year. That is if they want the player.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Dak needs Garrett to teach him how to step up in the pocket and make plays.