Dak's Value and Russel Wilson's 1st Extension

glimmerman

Reaction score
All you folks calling for 22 mill or 18 mill are year need your heads checked. When Garrapalo gets 27.5 per year with very few starts under his belt, you've gotta see that as the lowball initial offer.
That’s where I think they meet. 27.5. Maybe 28. It’s just the way the scale is now. I think SJ opens with 22-25. His agent is going to ask 30 or 35.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He won't get paid anything near what Russ got paid. But he'll get his. I still think it'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 to 20 mil per. 40 something guaranteed.
4 year. 80 mil. 45 guaranteed. That's my call.

A fair contract that rewards early success and gives him something to shoot for in that next contract. Sounds appropriate to me.

Lastly, while Dak wants his and is definitely confident in himself, he knows he is nowhere near Russ in terms of talent. Still a ways to go... But he can get there if he puts his head down & works.

#Truth
If he gets 18 million his agent will be fired. No agent is settling for 18 million a year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Garapolo and Dak are probably the same caliber of qb right now but he doesn’t have nearly the resume he has. If he got 27 million.....Dak has to see around 30.
Anything under 30 is a win for the FO. Everyone has to realize that it’s not what we think about him being worth it or not, just like D-Law. The FO believes in him and are going to pay him.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
If he gets 18 million his agent will be fired. No agent is settling for 18 million a year.
20 per. The magic will be in the guaranteed money. 45-50 mil guaranteed. I can even see a few performance escalators built into the contract to get him up to 25 mil per (based upon performance). That's my call. We shall see.

Love the avatar btw. I considered changing mine too to honor Nip but Ines wouldn't let me.

glimmerman

Reaction score
20 per. The magic will be in the guaranteed money. 45-50 mil guaranteed. I can even see a few performance escalators built into the contract to get him up to 25 mil per (based upon performance). That's my call. We shall see.

Love the avatar btw. I considered changing mine too to honor Nip but Ines wouldn't let me.
I would put escalators in there that could put him over 30 million. Incentives could drive him and only work in the teams favor.

aikemirv

Reaction score
He will get around 30 million and it will seal our fate for the next 5-7 years.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

20 would be 17th highest in the league for a QB. Nearly bottom of the league when you take out guys on rookie deals and backups. Higher than Dalton and Brady (who takes less because he's married to someone who earns about 10 times what he does).

Yeah. Dak is going to go for a new deal that slots him so low.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Yeah Nipsey passing...and how he passes just feels wrong. Sucks. I’m hoping his passing wasn’t in vein though.

I hope that’s the deal he takes but who knows. He’s been the worst paid player in the league and is probably about to become the highest paid.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The amount any QB will get paid is dependent on his value to his team to keep him. In 3 seasons, Prescott has taken his team to 2 division titles and has an overall record of 33-17, a 66% win average. His value is to the Cowboys and not what another QB gets paid or his stats, which are not comparable because of variables. It's more the going rate of a QB a team wants to keep as their franchise QB. Sure, the comps are measured but so should the "who else is available" and we can argue one QB is more important to his team than another because of his skillset but there's this intangible measurement of "fit".

"Fit" is what he is. Didn't get the feeling that Cousins was a fit in WAS or MIN but Wilson is most definitely a "fit" in SEA and Dak is every bit as much of a "fit" in DAL. Ryan is a "fit" in ATL but I believe Stafford no longer "fits" in DET. Newton, while I do not consider him a great QB is a "fit" in CAR but I have doubts about Winston in TB.

His entire career, since HS, the man has been measured and found lacking against the QB1's, until he gets their job and doesn't give it back. We can debate consistency with his accuracy, pocket awareness and timed release all day, every day as we seem to do but there is one thing that in my mind is not debatable about this player and that is the one thing that overrides any hesitancies I have about how much they're going to pay him, he just "fits". "Fit" is that most elusive intangible that is hard to define except with you'll know it when you see it. I see it, he's not a Tier 1 QB with his skill set but when it comes to "fit", he's as good as any of them. Would I like one of those bullet boys that can thread the needle? Sure but that might not be a "fit".

Don't know about y'all but I am overdone on these damned Dak threads and how much to pay him and just want them to get it done and let's celebrate and commiserate and then move on because we've got more things to discuss like the value of Cooper, Elliott, Jones and Smith. But just like all of the Lawrence threads, this too shall pass but we're running out of things to say about Prescott and his contract.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm, starting to think this is going to be in the 28-31/year range.
Big guaranteed $ too

Do I think he's worth it? That's really irrelevant. The man is getting paid either way.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yeah god forbid we make the playoffs every year with him.....lol.

Well, one could argue that 30 million for the QB versus 15-20 million value added would make it so your team was much less competitive.

On the Dak supporter side, if you believe in him, then you believe your fate is sealed in that he alone can carry you-

I just don't think he can!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, one could argue that 30 million for the QB versus 15-20 million value added would make it so your team was much less competitive.

On the Dak supporter side, if you believe in him, then you believe your fate is sealed in that he alone can carry you-

I just don't think he can!
How good you are is determined by how you draft. If you don’t draft well it’s all for nothing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm, starting to think this is going to be in the 28-31/year range.
Big guaranteed $ too

Do I think he's worth it? That's really irrelevant. The man is getting paid either way.
It is no longer about how much they pay Prescott, it's going to be how much they pay the other players coming up and at what point do they reach the "we're out of cap but still need players" point? Some seem to feel they won't but I disagree, they will repeat history. All we can hope is that they accomplish more than they have the other times they landed in cap hell.

When I see how much better some feel they are at managing the cap and team building, I look at the "luck factor". They've been lucky and luck has a way of running out.

I will not fault them whatever they pay the QB, that's the cost of doing business and they have little choice but to pay him now or a little more later but the others like Cooper and Elliott, those could be the backbreakers.

How many players to reach the 50% of the cap committed point? Less than 10 and they're in danger because every one of those players must stay healthy or the team is done. This brain trust isn't great at building an entire team, they're just better at some of the starting positions.

aikemirv

Reaction score
How good you are is determined by how you draft. If you don’t draft well it’s all for nothing.
Well, you have to be able to afford to keep the ones who deserve it. Or have a QB who can carry you......

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, because every team overpays certain positions, can't really avoid that. It's that balance that is such a challenge for most to achieve.

If you look at every team that's accomplished a lot since FA came into being, it's not just their stars that shine. When PHL won their ring, look at the contributors on that team. Their GM is anal about every position, not just the starters and that has paid off.

Look at Belichick's team, same thing. It's about the entire team, including ST. No position is unimportant, no detail left unturned. Belichick didn't beat KC or LA with just his starters, he used his entire team. That's the major difference between him and everybody else and why they all talk of emulating him, few do. And the Cowboys do not.