Dallas baby dies after pit bull mauling, police say

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
A newborn boy died Monday night after being mauled by the family pit bull while police were responding to a domestic violence call at the home, MyFoxDFW.com reported.
The baby's father, Barnett Bruce, began arguing with the child's mother, Jessica Oxford, shortly after Oxford brought the child over, police said.
Three-month-old Rayden Bruce's grandfather was holding the infant while the parents argued. Police were called after the argument escalated into pushing. When police arrived, one officer took the mother's statement outside while another spoke to the father inside.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/2...ing-police-say/?test=latestnews#ixzz27V8J7b2U

Never have been a fan of this breed. Strange how they are always in the headlines for attacking and or killing someone or some child.

Sad

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy.

I've never owned a pit bull but have had lot of dogs, large size dogs and I've never, ever left my infant alone with dogs or dogs can get to my infants. If baby was asleep, door will be closed, while I trusted my dogs, never wanted to take any chance with my infants.

Ren

Reaction score
Problem isn't so much the breed as it is over breeding, irresponsible breeders mating the most aggressive dogs and stupid owners. If people where doing the same thing with German shepherds are they are with Pitbulls that breed would be a problem too.

BBQ101

Reaction score
Dallas;4752026 said:
Never have been a fan of this breed. Strange how they are always in the headlines for attacking and or killing someone or some child.

Sad

I have owned one pit bull in my life and she was a damn good dog. My mom grew up with them and was even saved by one. They are like any other dog, if you bring them up well, they are a good and faithful companion. If you socialize them, they are fine with other people and animals.

Just like any other breed however, if you treat them like ****, hide them away from other people, teach them to be mean...etc they will turn out bad.

They show up on the news because they are the ones that have the ability to maim and kill. There is a reason they are used as fighting dogs. They have an incredibly strong frame and jaws, and a very high tolerance for pain. It is very hard to stop a pitbull once one gets a hold of something. Plus, most people fear them for their reputation. Sells news better.

BBQ

CashMan

Reaction score
BBQ101;4752299 said:
I have owned one pit bull in my life and she was a damn good dog. My mom grew up with them and was even saved by one. They are like any other dog, if you bring them up well, they are a good and faithful companion. If you socialize them, they are fine with other people and animals.

Just like any other breed however, if you treat them like ****, hide them away from other people, teach them to be mean...etc they will turn out bad.

They show up on the news because they are the ones that have the ability to maim and kill. There is a reason they are used as fighting dogs. They have an incredibly strong frame and jaws, and a very high tolerance for pain. It is very hard to stop a pitbull once one gets a hold of something. Plus, most people fear them for their reputation. Sells news better.

BBQ

Typical response from a pit bull owner. They have personality, they wouldn't hurt a fly. Look at the statistics.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
pitbulls are the juice heads of the dog world....

pitbull.jpg

I love dogs more than anything but that is one breed I would not want to own. I don't frighten easily but if I'm around a pit bull I am always hyper aware and ready for the worst. I don't trust that dog one bit.

Ren

Reaction score
CashMan;4752457 said:
Typical response from a pit bull owner. They have personality, they wouldn't hurt a fly. Look at the statistics.

Statistics say you are far more likely to be attacked by a chihuahua or some other small dog then you are a pitbull.

The difference is when the Pitbull attacks you it has to potential to kill or seriously injure when a chihuahua attacks you it's just cute. People don't bother to put as much effort into training them properly cause they are small and harmless when the same kind of attitude mixes with a pitbull or a rottweiler you get a very dangerous dog

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
a_minimalist;4752466 said:

pitbull.jpg

I love dogs more than anything but that is one breed I would not want to own. I don't frighten easily but if I'm around a pit bull I am always hyper aware and ready for the worst. I don't trust that dog one bit.
Those dogs do have pre-determined genetics that make them lethal. Of course, it is possible to raise them right and for the most part, they can turn out to be a good dog. But there is always that factor that can make them snap at any time, it is in their blood.

Responsible owners play a large role in their behavior but that type of breed (interbreeding from old english terrier and english bulldog) are used to hunt and herd, it is part of their nature.

My neighbor has a white pit-bull and it is gorgeous, strong in stature. He has a teddy bear nature and loves my wife's 5 lb chihuahua, he will curl up in his belly and sleep there. A stranger can walk up and scare that big dog and nothing will happen.

For the most part, those dogs are dangerous and can't be trusted, but there is always the exception. Some may seem like a non-threat but there is always that chance that they will snap out of nowhere and without warning. I would never own one even if I had kids or not, just too risky.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ren;4752484 said:
Statistics say you are far more likely to be attacked by a chihuahua or some other small dog then you are a pitbull.

The difference is when the Pitbull attacks you it has to potential to kill or seriously injure when a chihuahua attacks you it's just cute. People don't bother to put as much effort into training them properly cause they are small and harmless when the same kind of attitude mixes with a pitbull or a rottweiler you get a very dangerous dog
LOL, my wifes can bite the best of ankle's. He doesn't bite, but snaps while trying to intimidate. He does not do that often though, usually when my little girl is with us, he thinks he is a bodyguard.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Ren;4752231 said:
Problem isn't so much the breed as it is over breeding, irresponsible breeders mating the most aggressive dogs and stupid owners. If people where doing the same thing with German shepherds are they are with Pitbulls that breed would be a problem too.

This.

Pit bulls can be among the best family dogs out....it's the gangster-wannabies out there that are ruining the breed.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
dexternjack;4752490 said:
But there is always that factor that can make them snap at any time, it is in their blood.

This is why I am the way I am. Don't get me wrong though, they are an awesome specimen to look at. If they weren't prone to just losing their mind and attacking I would think about owning one. The fact that they can't be trusted and even the friendliest dogs have snapped doesn't sit well with me. I also don't trust a lot of people to train them properly. The majority I see who own one aren't the most intelligent human beings.

BBQ101

Reaction score
CashMan;4752457 said:

Try reading what I wrote in your quote. I certainly didn't say anything about not hurting a fly.

I don't own a pitbull at present. Instead I have a 30 pound terrier mix. Still, that 30 pound dog could kill an infant just as easily as the pitbull in the story. The difference isn't the dog, it is the dog owner.

But keep on with your stereotypical nonsense about a breed you apparently only know through sensational news stories.

BBQ

Ren

Reaction score
dexternjack;4752495 said:
LOL, my wifes can bite the best of ankle's. He doesn't bite, but snaps while trying to intimidate. He does not do that often though, usually when my little girl is with us, he thinks he is a bodyguard.

There's a Yorkshire terrier in my building that tries to fight every one and everything, it's half the size of a cat :laugh2:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4752466 said:

pitbull.jpg

I have to agree w/ you. I don't let my son around friends w/ pit-bulls in the home. I just can't take that chance. He totally understands why and has never questioned why we do this. The breed scares him and he has never had an issue w/ them being overly aggressive, and he loves all dogs.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
tomson75;4752504 said:
This.

Pit bulls can be among the best family dogs out....it's the gangster-wannabies out there that are ruining the breed.

tomson. Good to see you bro. I always like when you post. So, this family doesn't appear to be a gangster-wannabe family.

What could have provoked that dog to attack a sleeping baby while nobody was in the room?

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
My wieners are very dangerous and unpredictable! Here they teach neighbor Phil what happens when you attempt to steal leftover tuna noodle casserole.

[youtube]ZoTPcwPfVzM[/youtube]

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;4752571 said:
My wieners are very dangerous and unpredictable! Here they teach neighbor Phil what happens when you attempt to steal leftover tuna noodle casserole.

[youtube]ZoTPcwPfVzM[/youtube]

Lol. I have always have liked those little runts of yours. Thanks for posting DC.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Dallas;4752588 said:
Lol. I have always have liked those little runts of yours. Thanks for posting DC.

You better keep a low profile bro...They nearly ripped the anklet-socks off my buddy Stan the Okie! :p: