CFZ Dallas Cowboys All Time Position Rankings

quickccc

Reaction score
Here it is again - My very own, annually Dallas Cowboys ALL TIME Ranking List. (Top 5 per position)

Thoughts ? ....Accurate or Way off .? ... Who am I missing ?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/lineups.htm

QUARTERBACKS:
1) Roger Staubach
2) Troy Aikman
3) Tony Romo
4) Dak Prescott
5) Danny white

RUNNING BACKS
1) Emmitt smith
2) Tony Dorsett
3) Zeke Elliott
4) Demarco Murray
5) Hershel walker

FULLBACKS
1) Daryl 'moose' Johnston
2) Don Perkins
3) Walt Garrison
4) Ron Springs
5) Robert Newhouse
WIDE RECEIVERS
1) Michael Irvin
2) Bob Hayes
3) Drew Pearson
4) Dez Bryant
5) Terrell Owens
TIGHT ENDS
1 Jason Witten
2) Jay Novacek
3) Billy joe Dupree
4) Doug Cosbie
5) Mike Ditka
OFFENSIVE TACKLES
1) Rayfield wright
2) Erik Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Pat Donovan
5) Mark Tuinei
OFFENSIVE GUARDS
1) Larry Allen
2) Zack martin
3) Nate Newton
4) John Niland
5) Herb Scott
CENTERS
1) Travis Fredrick
2) Mark Stepnoski
3) Ray Donaldson
4) Andre Gurode
5) John Fitzgerald
DEFENSIVE ENDS :
1) Charles Haley
2) Harvey martin
3) Ed Jones
4) Demarcus Lawrence
5) Jim Jeffcoat
DEFENSIVE TACKLES :
1) Bob Lilly
2) Randy white
3) Jay Ratliff
4) La Roi Glover
5) Leon Lett
MIDDLE LINEBACKERS:
1) Lee Roy Jordan
2) Sean Lee
3) Ken Norton jr.
4) Bob Breuing
5) Robert Jones
OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS:
1) Demarcus Ware
2) Micah Parson
3) Chuck Howley
4) Dexter Coakley
5) Thomas Henderson
CORNERBACKS
1) Deion Sanders
2) Mel Renfro
3) Everson walls
4) Trevon Diggs
5) Cornell Green
SAFETIES
1) Cliff Harris
2) Darren Woodson
3) Roy Williams
4) Brock Marion
5) Charlie waters
KICKERS
1) Dan Bailey
2) Rafael Septien
3) Chris Bonoi
4) Nick Folk
5) Richie Cunningham
PUNTERS
1) Matt McBriar
2) Toby Gowin
3) Chris Jones
4) John Jett
5) Mike Saxon
RETURNERS:
1) Bob Hayes
2) Deion Sanders
3) Mel Renfro
4) Reggie Swinton
5) Kevin Williams

HEAD COACHES
1) Tom Landry
2) Jimmie Johnson
3) Bill Parcells
4) Jason Garrett
5) Mike McCarthy

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
I ignore any list that does not have Parsons on it.
Great point !

Normally I place certain amount years in NFL, ..but when you have arguably the very defensive player in NFL ......enuff said

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Good list.

I have a few questions, but overall, it's a very good list. I wouldn't put Romo above Dak. They both have won the same amount of playoff games (2), but Dak has thrown for 3+ TDs in a playoff game while Romo never threw for more than 2. Plus, last season, Dak finally led the team to an away playoff victory (and breaking a 30 year drought), something Romo was not able to accomplish.

PS: Leaving Dat Nguyen out at LB doesn't make sense.

quickccc

Reaction score
Good list.

I have a few questions, but overall, it's a very good list. I wouldn't put Romo above Dak. They both have won the same amount of playoff games (2), but Dak has thrown for 3+ TDs in a playoff game while Romo never threw for more than 2. Plus, last season, Dak finally led the team to an away playoff victory (and breaking a 30 year drought), something Romo was not able to accomplish.

What was Dat Nyguen's accomplishment ?

When did he ever have a Pro Bowl or All pro year during his Cowboys career ? None.

I would have even placed Eugene Lockhart ahead of Dat Nyguen .

Dat was a high IQ player with a knack for coverages and INTs, but and had major durability issues ..he played well in spots, imo

quickccc

Reaction score
It’s a solid list except Dak is better than Romo and TO IMO, is one of the best of all time. I’d have TO as #2 or #1….I have a Irvin bias though.
Are you basing Owens your ranking of his Cowboys career ... or his overall NFL career ?

- Sorry ... but Bob Hayes Olympic speed revolutionized how NFL had to play defensive coverages against him ... per Zone coverages

- I cannot recall a more extraordinary combination of both sheer dominant playmaker and emotional inspirational leader than Michael Irvin ....

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Are you basing Owens your ranking of his Cowboys career ... or his overall NFL career ?

- Sorry ... but Bob Hayes Olympic speed revolutionized how NFL had to play defensive coverages against him ... per Zone coverages

- I cannot recall a more extraordinary combination of both sheer dominant playmaker and emotional inspirational leader than Michael Irvin ....
I assumed it was their overall careers. Because to me Everson Walls had a better Cowboy career than Deion had. Harvey Martin had a better Cowboys career than Haley had as well.

And I completely missed Garrett over Mike. Yeah I got Mike way over Garrett.

quickccc

Reaction score
Good list.

The guy I actually had a tough time leaving out of the QB rankings was the late Dandy Don Meredith ...who is in the Cowboys Ring of Honor ... among all time Cowboys QB career passers.
and even had an All pro season during his time.

irishline

Reaction score
Good list.

If we are using playoffs as the only criteria, Danny White needs to be above both of them. Sure he never got us to a Superbowl but did get to 3 straight NFC Championship games.

And has three more playoff wins then either of them.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
I assumed it was their overall careers. Because to me Everson Walls had a better Cowboy career than Deion had. Harvey Martin had a better Cowboys career than Haley had as well.

Only I am not yet critiquing McCarthy based of his past GB super bowl resume , just his very short Cowboys career, (only 3 seasons, two winning) and mind you he has not yet been able to
influx his own offense here because of the Kellen Moore interference.

Actually some forget that Jason Garrett was actually once named NFL coach of the Year (2016) .

quickccc

Reaction score

Only Everson was never near the pure shutdown coverage CB guy that Prime Time was ... and he could not " bait' QBs into not only throwing his way for INTs, ..but taking it to the
house for defensive TDs ..the way Deion could.. Imo. .