Dallas Cowboys are short changing their best corner

Hayseed

Reaction score
Not a doubt in my mind that game one the starters will be Jones and Cheeto on the outside and Lewis in the slot. Much worry over nothing.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys seek to boost coverage under former Seattle Seahawks’ secondary guru Kris Richard. Demoting his best cover corner is not a good start.
Dallas Cowboys minicamps often include experimentation so depth chart moves at this point should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said, one can only judge off past or present roster decisions.

The current backseat usage of corner Jourdan Lewis is every bit worthy of critique and then some. The team’s most talented cover corner is no longer starting outside.

Instead Lewis is being limited to starting slot snaps while a converted safety and fellow 2017 draftee man the outside. Slot coverage is important but this setup is reducing the snaps of a player the defense needs to get the most from.

New secondary coach Kris Richard has vocally stated his preference for big corners. Apparently Lewis (5’10, 195) is being slighted for not fitting the height mold.

I guess these current NFL corners aren’t worthy of starting outside…Casey Hayward (2016 / 2017 Pro Bowl), Kyle Fuller (NFL All-Rookie Team), Adam Jones (2014 All-Pro, 2015 Pro Bowl), Brent Grimes (4-time Pro Bowler). None of those are over 5’11, 192.

Shouldn’t the master of Seattle’s infamous Legion of of Boom secondary know best?

https://thelandryhat.com/2018/06/14/dallas-cowboys-short-changing-best-corner/

Im a huge Lewis fan, but the guy was a walking PI on the outside with bigger stronger WRs. Playing him inside against smaller quicker Wrs is really smart. Because this is where Dallas gets eaten up. Fans need to stop looking at everything as a negative and actually try and let the coaches coach. Playing Lewis in the slot is where he needs to be played. And its not like he wont be in most of the game anyways as the league is a pass first league now.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Chido was the best corner when healthy last season. Lewis showed some flashes, sure, but his play was pretty uneven. Not a knock on the rookie, just a fact. I expect him to grow, but have realistic expectations for the guy. He's unlikely to be a shutdown corner with his physical limitations. But he can still be incredibly useful.

mmohican29

Reaction score
He was their best Corner last year.
It's laughable to think that he wouldn't be one
of the starters this year.

Ermmm... he was good for a rookie, but let's not act like he made every play possible.

Getting beat for GW TD vs GB
Grabbing on 4th and Forever vs Oak

He had ups and downs. To my eye- Awuzie is the CB to watch. I thought he flashed nothing but upside after he came back from injury.

Let Richard coach. We owe Jourdan Lewis nothing to date imo.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lewis played like 8 games last year as a rookie and was a 3rd round pick. Im not sure we can call a guy like that our best cover corner. Im not we can call anyone in our secondary great at anything to be honest. All potential, bust, or backups out there at this point.
If you watched him play you can.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lewis played like 8 games last year as a rookie and was a 3rd round pick. Im not sure we can call a guy like that our best cover corner. Im not we can call anyone in our secondary great at anything to be honest. All potential, bust, or backups out there at this point.
Lewis played 15 games last year and was by far our best cover corner.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This is dumb!! No one is short changing anyone. Lewis has plenty of time to prove he is one of the top corners. He was pretty good last year, but he didn’t dominate. Competition is a good thing! Make him work for a position.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Ermmm... he was good for a rookie, but let's not act like he made every play possible.

Getting beat for GW TD vs GB
Grabbing on 4th and Forever vs Oak

He had ups and downs. To my eye- Awuzie is the CB to watch. I thought he flashed nothing but upside after he came back from injury.

Let Richard coach. We owe Jourdan Lewis nothing to date imo.
Are young corners all have good potential, but they are all works in progress. They all need to continue to improve and get better. You mention Lewis getting beat because it fits your narrative, but you don’t mention Awuzie getting spun around like a top vs Seattle. Awuzie looked terrible giving up a TD on that play.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Or..... you could say: "Dallas Cowboys are changing their best short corner".

......to a backup

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Lewis is awesome, both in coverage and tackling, but the OP is ridiculous.

Awuzie is far and away our best corner and has the opportunity to cement himself as one of the best in the NFL this year.

Lewis will be playing the Thurmond/Coleman/Scandrick slot which is pretty much an every down player unless the other team uses a fullback. He's perfect for the slot in Richard's scheme.