Dallas Cowboys are short changing their best corner

links18

Reaction score
The team doesn't exist doesn't for the benefit of its players, its the other way around--supposedly.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Crabtree didn't "do" Chido. Awuzie broke up passes. It was Lewis who committed the killer DPI on 4th & long that almost cost us the game.

Jeez, do some of you morons ever even watch the games or just pull s*** stories out of your bunghole like that? This is ridiculous.
Who did Crabtree score his TD on?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Crabtree didn't "do" Chido. Awuzie broke up passes. It was Lewis who committed the killer DPI on 4th & long that almost cost us the game.

Jeez, do some of you morons ever even watch the games or just pull s*** stories out of your bunghole like that? This is ridiculous.
Oh yeah, and that moron talk is cute. If you in the DFW you can see me tho, for real! All I need is a address lil bia.

johnmeuir

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm concerned. Could be nothing, just moving guys around in the offseason, but it could also mean this guy really believes he's reinvented the wheel and great length is the only way to go at cornerback.

As I said before. If Lewis is a backup when the season starts, meaning not one of the top 3 corners on the depth chart, you can have Kris Richard. At that point I would have already seen enough to know he was a terrible hire.
I would have to agree.

Hopefully he's just fanning the flames a little bit with him.

DiResta

Reaction score
couple of thoughts , well 3

loved the Jourdan pick from day 1

Chido has been getting lots of praise so far
all the stuff his coach said seems legit
“He’s got it all. He’s mentally tough. He’s got great explosive speed, good hands, good eyes, very smart, knock your head off, can play the corner, can press, can play off, can play the safety, can play the nickel, very personal, will be great playing special teams. He’s real. He’s a football player. He’s just a football player.”

if you hate Byron, prepare for a long season because again Richard is gushing over him

i get why people are worried about Kris being close minded if a guy lacks the measurables but i believe its way too soon to worry
keep in mind he watched what was widely considered the best corner (and best safeties) everyday
watched them when tired or when beat, watched them study film, maybe it isnt that he doesnt like certain guys but that he only has a few opportunities to watch guys get reps vs starters and some of those outside guys like Marquez White might have more potential if they take to his teaching

in TC the starters will be getting the most reps
nows a good time to see what you have and prepares to churn the roster

DiResta

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm concerned. Could be nothing, just moving guys around in the offseason, but it could also mean this guy really believes he's reinvented the wheel and great length is the only way to go at cornerback.

As I said before. If Lewis is a backup when the season starts, meaning not one of the top 3 corners on the depth chart, you can have Kris Richard. At that point I would have already seen enough to know he was a terrible hire.
cant say i disagree because Lewis is one of my favorite players, but
what if he takes a guy like Brown who looked like the best corner his rookie year and coaches him out of some of those bad techniques (and makes him a very good corner? because he was looking the part at one point)
Anthony Brown doesnt have the skill of Jourdan but he is far more athletic. he ran a 4.35 and his nfl comparison was A.J. Bouye
just sayin
theres something there and a good coach could get it out of him

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Richard is just finding out what he has and laying down new fundamentals. If Lewis is good as last year no one is keeping him off the field.

817Gill

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys seek to boost coverage under former Seattle Seahawks’ secondary guru Kris Richard. Demoting his best cover corner is not a good start.
Dallas Cowboys minicamps often include experimentation so depth chart moves at this point should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said, one can only judge off past or present roster decisions.

The current backseat usage of corner Jourdan Lewis is every bit worthy of critique and then some. The team’s most talented cover corner is no longer starting outside.

Instead Lewis is being limited to starting slot snaps while a converted safety and fellow 2017 draftee man the outside. Slot coverage is important but this setup is reducing the snaps of a player the defense needs to get the most from.

New secondary coach Kris Richard has vocally stated his preference for big corners. Apparently Lewis (5’10, 195) is being slighted for not fitting the height mold.

I guess these current NFL corners aren’t worthy of starting outside…Casey Hayward (2016 / 2017 Pro Bowl), Kyle Fuller (NFL All-Rookie Team), Adam Jones (2014 All-Pro, 2015 Pro Bowl), Brent Grimes (4-time Pro Bowler). None of those are over 5’11, 192.

Shouldn’t the master of Seattle’s infamous Legion of of Boom secondary know best?

https://thelandryhat.com/2018/06/14/dallas-cowboys-short-changing-best-corner/

He's not getting starting slot responsibilities he's actually rotating between the slot and outside for the second team. And I do agree with Richard and most of the NFL scouts who believe Jourdan Lewis is a slot corner and a potential all-pro at that. He can play outside if needed and uses his aggressiveness and ball tracking skills to make up for his lack of height or elite athleticism, but is a natural and potentially elite slot corner. The Cowboys selected him as their next Orlando Scandrick and he is already showing he will be much better.

He should be the starting slot corner with the first team and a reserve outside corner. I do not like the fact that he is not getting starting slot snaps as I don't see how solely having one inch of height makes Anthony Brown the better option when Jourdan Lewis is a significantly better all-around corner.

I read from another members' thread highlighting minicamp that coaches did not praise Jourdan Lewis when he made good plays as they did the other players and seemed to be mum on him throughout. They really seemed to be cooling on him and I have no idea why. If Richard really came in and made that much of an impression to which the coaches are blindly following him then we might be looking at our future head coach. I like a lot of the things he's doing, this isn't one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not getting starting slot responsibilities he's actually rotating between the slot and outside for the second team. And I do agree with Richard and most of the NFL scouts who believe Jourdan Lewis is a slot corner and a potential all-pro at that. He can play outside if needed and uses his aggressiveness and ball tracking skills to make up for his lack of height or elite athleticism, but is a natural and potentially elite slot corner. The Cowboys selected him as their next Orlando Scandrick and he is already showing he will be much better.

He should be the starting slot corner with the first team and a reserve outside corner. I do not like the fact that he is not getting starting slot snaps as I don't see how solely having one inch of height makes Anthony Brown the better option when Jourdan Lewis is a significantly better all-around corner.

I read from another members' thread highlighting minicamp that coaches did not praise Jourdan Lewis when he made good plays as they did the other players and seemed to be mum on him throughout. They really seemed to be cooling on him and I have no idea why. If Richard really came in and made that much of an impression to which the coaches are blindly following him then we might be looking at our future head coach. I like a lot of the things he's doing, this isn't one.

Lewis has practiced on the 2nd team at both outside and slot but more outside outside.

There is a high probability that the #3 CB on a team practices more outside than in the slot with regards to the offseason.

Closer to the season and during the season the 1st string slot CB in practice is likely the 1st string slot CB in real games but as of right now the #3 CB likely practices outside more than in the slot. Obviously the top backup outside player is by definition on the 2nd string.

Since Lewis is already with the 2nd team group it's more convenient to keep him there even when he plays the slot position.

It would be worse for Lewis if they had him practicing exclusively in the slot. That would mean they've pigeonholed him.