Dallas Cowboys Are Treating Trey Lance as 'De Facto' Quarterback Pick

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
For me, Its worth the gamble.. Any qb taken on day 3 is a project.
the thing for me is this, if Trey hits the field and has any success (makes the playoffs) he will demand a nice contract ..if a rookie QB did the same you have 3 more years to spend on talent around him to further that success...now obviously the big factor is what are the odds a rookie can perform as well as Trey..can anyone really say they know the answer to this?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts.

4-5 years is not equal to 1 year.
Thats what i was saying also its not about wether Trey is a bad trade...its about the Trey trade against using the same pick on a rookie QB that isnt due a second contract next year...is that a better Gamble vs the payoff. I have no idea what Trey Lance can do (neither does anyone else) but is it a better use of that pick for the gamble vs a rookie 4th round pick and that gamble with a rookie contract...its a valid argument to me.

Brax

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson valued the position so much that he brought in Steve Walsh just after taking Aikman with the #1 pick......this FO is polar opposite to that
You can’t put a threat to Dak on the team, they haven’t done that since Dak was here and they cut the guy who who might have damaged his fragile psyche, it’s all about protecting Dak.

Motorola

Reaction score

Trey Lance serves as the Cowboys quarterback pick

JAMES BRIZUELA
APR 24, 2024

Trey Lance was supposed to be the quarterback of the future for the San Francisco 49ers, who traded up with the Miami Dolphins and gave up three first-round picks to get him in the 2021 NFL Draft. Sadly, things did not work out for Lance, and he has since landed with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cowboys ended up trading only a fourth-round pick to the 49ers to acquire Lance, who was then listed as the team's third-string quarterback. Whether or not it was evident at the time, the feeling was that owner Jerry Jones was going to use Lance as the eventual successor to Dak Prescott.

Lance was meant to be a franchise quarterback, but he never quite got that chance with the 49ers. It could be that Jones is playing the waiting game to see how he develops through OTAs, training camp, and preseason to see if he does possess the right skills to eventually step into the role of the starter.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/dallas-cowboys-treating-trey-lance-as-de-facto-quarterback-pick

01hw6vn1extraa82epxv
"Lance was meant to be a franchise quarterback, but he never quite got that chance with the 49ers."
Blatantly untruthful statement by this 'Fan Nation\Cowboys Country' "contributor".
Lance was the 49ers' starting QB for the 2022. He suffered an injury in the second game that ened his season.
2nd string Jimmy Garoppolo took over, then he was injured about halfway through the season. 3rd stringer Brock Purdy took over, and after 3-4 start, the team won their remaining games to finish 13-4 and won the NFC West.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
"Lance was meant to be a franchise quarterback, but he never quite got that chance with the 49ers."
Blatantly untruthful statement by this 'Fan Nation\Cowboys Country' "contributor".
Lance was the 49ers' starting QB for the 2022. He suffered an injury in the second game that ened his season.
2nd string Jimmy Garoppolo took over, then he was injured about halfway through the season. 3rd stringer Brock Purdy took over, and after 3-4 start, the team won their remaining games to finish 13-4 and won the NFC West.
By all facts Trey couldn't get the job back..there is literally no reason that SF would move him if he was the better QB....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This shouldnt preclude us from selecting another project on day 3. It didn't prevent the niners from drafting Mr Irrelevant.
Good point. It should not prevent Jones in investing in a fifth through seventh round pick. He has a history of signing off on third day selections for the position.

However, this draft is unique in the way that he proactively sought and acquired a quarterback--who is essentially still a prospect like any draftee--for his roster before a draft. In all likelihood, Jones' type of mindset has already concluded he can get better value devoting picks for other positions than quarterback since that need has been 'completely' filled.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the thing for me is this, if Trey hits the field and has any success (makes the playoffs) he will demand a nice contract ..if a rookie QB did the same you have 3 more years to spend on talent around him to further that success...now obviously the big factor is what are the odds a rookie can perform as well as Trey..can anyone really say they know the answer to this?
And WE should give him that nice contract!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We did in 2016.

I know I know...broken back Tony. Whatever.
we did what in 2016? How is that remotley the same? Tony was the Proven Franchise QB..then wasnt in camp the next year, he didnt even compete for the job...Trey did...against a QB the HC was on record saying he didnt like in Jimmy G

Chasing6

Reaction score

Trey Lance serves as the Cowboys quarterback pick

JAMES BRIZUELA
APR 24, 2024

Trey Lance was supposed to be the quarterback of the future for the San Francisco 49ers, who traded up with the Miami Dolphins and gave up three first-round picks to get him in the 2021 NFL Draft. Sadly, things did not work out for Lance, and he has since landed with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cowboys ended up trading only a fourth-round pick to the 49ers to acquire Lance, who was then listed as the team's third-string quarterback. Whether or not it was evident at the time, the feeling was that owner Jerry Jones was going to use Lance as the eventual successor to Dak Prescott.

Lance was meant to be a franchise quarterback, but he never quite got that chance with the 49ers. It could be that Jones is playing the waiting game to see how he develops through OTAs, training camp, and preseason to see if he does possess the right skills to eventually step into the role of the starter.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/dallas-cowboys-treating-trey-lance-as-de-facto-quarterback-pick

01hw6vn1extraa82epxv
A1 year $5M 4th round pick.