Dallas Cowboys Bleacher Report: 2013 Nfl 7 Round Mock Draft

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4899154 said:
Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and Kris Jenkins.

And if you want to be technical, Haloti Ngata plays the role of a NT.

Kris Jenkins was a NT for what 2 years at the end of his career and was picked in the 2nd
Ngata is a DE, say what you want but he plays DE.

Majority of the NTs can be found in the middle rounds.
So really you have Hampton and wilfork and thata it over 10 years of drafts.
NT is not a game changing position that you have to take first round.
I want a difference make/game changer with my 1st round pick and I don't see any NT in this draft that will be available for Dallas.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
supercowboy8;4899032 said:
NT isn't a impact position. Tell me 3 NTs that were drafted in the 1st that are impace different makers.

I tend to agree with this statement. In the modern pass-happy NFL, the impact DLinemen are pass-rushers.

If I had the choice between the greatest NT that ever lived or J.J.Watt, I would go with Watt.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4899289 said:
Kris Jenkins was a NT for what 2 years at the end of his career and was picked in the 2nd

I want a difference make/game changer with my 1st round pick and I don't see any NT in this draft that will be available for Dallas.

I agree we don't need to draft a NT in the first round, but Ngata is not a DE. He's listed as a DT on their team's website. They put him outside in some packages, but he's mainly in the middle the majority of the time.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
NT isn't a impact position. Tell me 3 NTs that were drafted in the 1st that are impace different makers.

Off the top of my head you have Wilfolk, Ngata, and Suh who could easily play NT. Then there's Raji who was drafted in the second though.

DTs are a risk as they have to be taken high and they don't always pan out. The bust rate is pretty high.

0​

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Rack Bauer;4899386 said:
I agree we don't need to draft a NT in the first round, but Ngata is not a DE. He's listed as a DT on their team's website. They put him outside in some packages, but he's mainly in the middle the majority of the time.

Thats more this year than the past. After he was drafted he was a DE.
Most NTs drafted in the 1st turn out as just good players and not a big difference maker.
Raji was great only one year. I don't understand drafting DTs in the top half of the 1st.
Suh, Mccoy, and Darius are all great playera but pass rushers and shut down corners make a bigger difference IMO.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
jobberone;4899400 said:
Off the top of my head you have Wilfolk, Ngata, and Suh who could easily play NT. Then there's Raji who was drafted in the second though.

DTs are a risk as they have to be taken high and they don't always pan out. The bust rate is pretty high.

I don't know if Suh could, I think he could be a DE in a 34 but I'm mot so sure a NT. But what you said is the point I'm making.

I don't think there is a clear cut great Wilfork like NT in this draft

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
mrmason67;4898879 said:
The best mock draft I've found.

I dunno, I dock it some points for the 7th round pick, when the Boys don't have one of them...

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

For the argument you are making, him playing DE is irrelevant unless you are only interested in arguing schematics.

What he does play in and play out, is what NT's typically do. If anything, 3-4 DEs are usually taken later than NTs, so if your point is NTs aren't game changers, then he's very relevant.

And the same argument could be made for guards, yet you seem to be okay with that position in round 1.

For me, I'm not taking either position off the table in round 1.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4903320 said:
For the argument you are making, him playing DE is irrelevant unless you are only interested in arguing schematics.

What he does play in and play out, is what NT's typically do. If anything, 3-4 DEs are usually taken later than NTs, so if your point is NTs aren't game changers, then he's very relevant.

And the same argument could be made for guards, yet you seem to be okay with that position in round 1.

For me, I'm not taking either position off the table in round 1.

Sorry but your wrong with everything just said.
Also im not for drafting a OG early in round one, I want a game changer. If one isnt there then trade back. I would take a NT in a trade back but not where we are picking. Also a top OG can make a bigger difference for this team than a NT where we are picking or in a trade back.

All I'm saying is, if you cant get a for sure great NT then you can get a top OG.
Look at the history of the draft. NTs have a much bigger bust rating over OGs do.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Manwiththeplan;4903320 said:

I would feel better about an OG in the 1st over a pure NT. Offensive linemen normally play 100% of the offensive snaps; whereas, NTs often come off the field in the nickel defense and are often in a rotation in the regular 3-4 defense.

A special talent like Star Lotulelei could probably play the nickel; however, he has shown limited stamina in college and would need to be in a rotation to be most effective.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4903592 said:
Sorry but your wrong with everything just said.

What exactly was wrong? That Baltimore uses Ngata like a NT? That 3-4 DEs are usually taken later than NTs? Or the same argument against NTs could be made against guards, because all 3 of those are true

Also im not for drafting a OG early in round one, I want a game changer.

Considering that we would pick 20th if the dratf order was set today, I don't think we'll be picking anyone early in round 1 unless we trade up.

If one isnt there then trade back. I would take a NT in a trade back but not where we are picking.

Getting cute and trading back would be a mistake. Whether we want a NT, G or some other position, as long as the value matches, take them.

Also a top OG can make a bigger difference for this team than a NT where we are picking or in a trade back.

Based on what? A top NT would completely change the way RRyan calls this defense almost ithout any other additions. It would free up Lee & Carter a lot more as well as force more 3rd and Longs where we could actually rush more than 3 guys. A top guard doesn't change as much considering we still need a new center and right tackle.

All I'm saying is, if you cant get a for sure great NT then you can get a top OG.

I'm for taking the best available guy at a number of positions, NT, G, T, DE, S, doesn't matter (although safety is a long shot). If they are #1 take them. However this draft has many quality NTs and Gs, so based on numbers I think it will be one or the other.

Look at the history of the draft. NTs have a much bigger bust rating over OGs do.

Yea, G is a safe pick, like I bet FB is too. Kickers and Punters that go in round 1 have a very low bust rate too.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Manwithplan, no way I can answer all that on a forum.
All Im saying is I don't see a wilfork in this draft and dont see a NT worth taking in the first
If there was a top wilfork type then I would be all for it but in this draft NT isn't even top 5 positions for 1st round for me. But to each his own.

burmafrd

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4899036 said:
I don't understand why people think jerry won't pick a OG in the 1st. He wanted Iupati just a gew years ago.

judging from his actual draft record since 1989 I think that was after the draft drivel from jerruh.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
iowast8rs;4898877 said:
rather have a NT with my first round pick.

How about Star Lotulelei? Too bad he will be long gone before we draft.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score

Haloti Ngata
Casey Hampton
Vince Wilfork

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
jobberone;4899400 said:

Suh is a DT not a NT

ghst187

Reaction score
Aren't we likely to get two 4th round comp picks for letting Jenkins and Jones walk in FA this offseason?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ghst187;4908509 said:
Aren't we likely to get two 4th round comp picks for letting Jenkins and Jones walk in FA this offseason?

Only if the Cowboys don't sign any significant Free Agents. Signing FAs offsets loosing FAs in terms of comp picks.