News: Dallas Cowboys Cornerbacks

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think the two with the most talent are jones and awuzie
You can’t keep all of them and I think they sign jones now and awauzie next year
I think they let the rest play out and leave
I love all 4 but it’s not likely you can keep them and the guts on the other side of the ball a Jaylon
Hopefully we can plug in their talent through the draft as they go

Fair, but home grown talent gets the nod and experience in depth means a lot as the secondary goes. How long has it been since the Defensive Backs Coach and players owned up?

...I’d like to see the Cowboys go after a “big fish” on defense. It doesn’t have to be Earl Thomas, either. I feel like this defense is one “big fish” away from being totally lethal. The Cowboys have the cash to do it, too. I know Stephen Jones is saying it’s unlikely, but we’ll see...

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...fensive-staff-search-we-name-names-128038325/

That is one present need...safety and a playmaker.

Irving is a door bump away from gone. He was a major piece in last season's plans...now, there exists a defensive tackle deficit.

Can't afford things?

conner01

Reaction score
Fair, but home grown talent gets the nod and experience in depth means a lot as the secondary goes. How long has it been since the Defensive Backs Coach and players owned up?
I’d like to keep the experience but don’t think it’s possible
You got Dak, Zeke, l Collins, j smith and the list grows every year
Over the next few years we will loose guys and our ability to replace them is going to be huge

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’d like to keep the experience but don’t think it’s possible
You got Dak, Zeke, l Collins, j smith and the list grows every year
Over the next few years we will loose guys and our ability to replace them is going to be huge

Keep up with the cap...$50+ available in the Cap from this upcoming season, and the perennial contract increase through TV revenues. Then one negotiates and approaches change. Depth still has to be maintained, and cornerback isn't the strongest of current difference makers for the draft.

We shall see...

conner01

Reaction score
Keep up with the cap...$50+ available in the Cap from this upcoming season, and the perennial contract increase through TV revenues. Then one negotiates and approaches change. Depth still has to be maintained, and cornerback isn't the strongest of current difference makers for the draft.

We shall see...
We got mighty lucky to hit on so many and keeping them would be great
Hopefully we can but I don’t see it being likely
We need our players to want to win together and stay together because we gonna need some home town discounts

CCBoy

Reaction score
We got mighty lucky to hit on so many and keeping them would be great
Hopefully we can but I don’t see it being likely
We need our players to want to win together and stay together because we gonna need some home town discounts

That is where team loyalty comes in, and not foolish gambles. After a Championship, then salaries do escalate...as the market dictates.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I really like Chidobe and Jourdan Lewis.
hope we can keep Byron Jones but not at the expense of others.
I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a tall CB...Isaiah Johnson,Houston comes to mind...but as a whole I thought this group played well and got better as the season rolled on.
Awuzie I still believe is gonna be a good'n for a LONG time.

Last edited:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
This is the first time I've liked our DBs since I can remember. I couldn't stand that last group we had. Those guys reminded me of when we had Michael Downs and Ron Fellows participating in the bird box challenge way back when.

Only thing is these guys don't get nearly the TO's as that group of DB's.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys' Jourdan Lewis: Reduced role in 2018
Rotowire 12H ago
Lewis had 12 tackles (10 solo) and one interception in 15 games this season.

Lewis had a heavy workload during his rookie campaign in 2017, but he saw double-digit defensive snaps in only three games this season. The 23-year-old was entrenched as the Cowboys' No. 4 cornerback and worked mostly in dime packages. Lewis is likely to begin 2019 in a similar role with Chidobe Awuzie, Byron Jones and Anthony Brown all under contract next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/DAL/dallas-cowboys/

People assume that Richard does not play Lewis because of his size; however, Lewis played a style in college that is opposite of the Kris Richard style and Lewis appears to continue that style when he does play.

The over simplified explanation is that Richard wants the CBs to be "over" the receivers meaning the CB stays deeper than the receiver.

Lewis plays a trail technique and played it to somewhat of an extreme in college. If the CB plays trail, it puts a bigger burden on the Safeties to be a deep Safety net.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
So you are implying that a four year limitation applies to positional groups...and then either a grand salary or departure?

This a young group here...
You said the next 5 years. there is 0 chance we resign all 4 corners. 0 chance!

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Thanks for some directed conversation, guy...we all probably would. Ask someone at the Cowboys' home site to provide a clue...and share it.

im trying on the answer part. and id rather chat with you and have a conversation than just force my opinion. we dont have to always agree but at least we are civil

CCBoy

Reaction score
You said the next 5 years. there is 0 chance we resign all 4 corners. 0 chance!
That's a perspective..and we all have one. In a conversation, develop it out with why's and why not's, and we then have a discussion.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Do these players carry the secondary for the next five seasons?:
Byron Jones
Anthony Brown
Jourdan Lewis
Chidobe Awuzie

It will be interesting to see how we decide to spend money. Lots of young guys coming off their rookie contracts. Can't sign them all.

I'd be very encouraged if we *didn't* extend the corners, and looked to spend money elsewhere.

Cmac

Reaction score
Chidobe is the only one staying longterm. Jones is gonna be too pricey for what he is, Brown will want big $$ as well. Don't think Lewis fits what Richard wants in a cb.
Brown will want OScan 2.0 money.