Dallas Cowboys, don't try to get cute and outsmart yourselves

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Funny how you ignore their starting RT was a Top 5 pick, and their two startings OGs were both 2nd round picks, one being selected 37th and the other 51st.

Good teams invest in their OL either via FA or the draft. We sat out FA so................
Blame Jerry Jones for not keeping the Cowboys early round Oline picks. He just let Biadasz leave (3rd round pick). He let Connor McGovern leave (3rd round pick). He let Connor Williams leave 2 years ago (2nd round pick). He currently has two 1st round picks on the Oline. This crap of using only 1st round draft picks for the Oline, plus allowing costly 2nd and 3rd round Oline drafted players leave via free agency, is killing us and leaving us in the position we are in.

Time to pay for bad decisions. Leave the middle rounds to address the Oline. Use those early draft picks on other positions of need.

Sydla

Reaction score
Blame Jerry Jones for not keeping the Cowboys early round Oline picks. He just let Biadasz leave (3rd round pick). He let Connor McGovern leave (3rd round pick). He let Connor Williams leave 2 years ago (2nd round pick). He currently has two 1st round picks on the Oline. This crap of using only 1st round draft picks for the Oline, plus allowing costly 2nd and 3rd round Oline drafted players leave via free agency, is killing us and leaving us in the position we are in.

Time to pay for bad decisions. Leave the middle rounds to address the Oline. Use those early draft picks on other positions of need.
So not "Game. Set and Match"?

LOL.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Between an OL and a WR, I'd take a WR. It's at least a push.

OL is a "weakest link" game, while WR is a "better man wins" game. Five linemen all need to win for your QB to stay upright, but only one receiver needs to win for your QB to have an open throw. So in a perfect world, WR is a spot where you want to be top-heavy and spend premium resources, and OL is where you want to spread the love and find a bunch of average dudes instead of starting say 2 studs and 3 scrubs. The Shanahan-tree offenses like the Rams and Dolphins are using this model, and have some very concentrated target distributions.

You could argue that LTs play a "better man wins" game within the OL game, because their reps against edge rushers are much more isolated than interior linemen face. I'd accept that. But if you buy into WAR stats, WR's a more valuable position, and even if you look at the free agency contracts being handed out, WR is a more valuable position.

With that being said, I don't love the second tier of WR talent in this class as much as some do. Worthy and Brian Thomas Jr both strike me as athletes playing football, and I don't love that at all in an early-round pick. People think fast 40 = deep threat WR, but hauling in deep catches is almost equally as much about ball skills. They're almost never just a question of just outracing the DB to some finish line... everything but the cleanest throws require adjustments to be made. Worthy's not that guy, and even on clean throws, his hands are just bad. I think he's a Marquez Valdez-Scantling type.

1942willys

Reaction score
Between an OL and a WR, I'd take a WR. It's at least a push.

OL is a "weakest link" game, while WR is a "better man wins" game. Five linemen all need to win for your QB to stay upright, but only one receiver needs to win for your QB to have an open throw. So in a perfect world, WR is a spot where you want to be top-heavy and spend premium resources, and OL is where you want to spread the love and find a bunch of average dudes instead of starting say 2 studs and 3 scrubs. The Shanahan-tree offenses like the Rams and Dolphins are using this model, and have some very concentrated target distributions.

You could argue that LTs play a "better man wins" game within the OL game, because their reps against edge rushers are much more isolated than interior linemen face. I'd accept that. But if you buy into WAR stats, WR's a more valuable position, and even if you look at the free agency contracts being handed out, WR is a more valuable position.

With that being said, I don't love the second tier of WR talent in this class as much as some do. Worthy and Brian Thomas Jr both strike me as athletes playing football, and I don't love that at all in an early-round pick. People think fast 40 = deep threat WR, but hauling in deep catches is almost equally as much about ball skills. They're almost never just a question of just outracing the DB to some finish line... everything but the cleanest throws require adjustments to be made. Worthy's not that guy, and even on clean throws, his hands are just bad. I think he's a Marquez Valdez-Scantling type.
people who harp on 40 time all too often do not look at game tape. There are athletes and then there are players; you always chose the player

1942willys

Reaction score
What good is a WR if the QB is running for his life; or the D can lay back and rush three guys and know they can get pressure?
We have two holes in the OL and we need to make sure BOTH of them are plugged and not just a finger in the dike thing either

phildadon86

Reaction score
With all of the needs on this team. WR is far from a big one.

Worthy could be great. He also could be John Ross 2.0.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You can’t pretend like 5’11 165 isn’t at least a little bit of a problem. I can see him having a DeSean Jackson type career, but comparing Worthy to any kind of Randy Moss situation is crazy.
This…

I like Worthy but I don’t like drafting outliers in the 1st.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Texas speed demon and very good WR, Xavier Worthy (4.21 NFL Combine 40 yd dash record holder), is there for the taking at the Cowboys 24th (1st round) overall pick, you'd better take him
The 2 biggest needs are running the ball and stopping the run.

Drafting a WR at 24 helps neither.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, look where their olinemen were drafted. Funny you mention Jason Kelce. Go do some homework and find out in what round he was drafted.

Game. Set and Match.

End of discussion.
Miami’s offensive line was awful and because of the speed at receiver and running back they had the best offense in the NFL. I got your back on this one.

Sydla

Reaction score
Miami’s offensive line was awful and because of the speed at receiver and running back they had the best offense in the NFL. I got your back on this one.

Let's dig deeper. They struggled offensively against most of the better opponents they faced (somewhat like us). They rolled up big numbers on bad teams but had some issues against really good teams when they played them (19 against Baltimore, 17 against Philly, 14 against the Chiefs in regular season, 6 against the Chiefs in postseason, only 14 and 20 against the Bills the two times they played. They beat us but only dropped 22 points on us.

In that playoff game, the Chiefs was all over Tua. Speedy WRs didn't help there. They also stifled the Dolphins run game. Speedy WRs couldn't overcome OL issues in some of their biggest games.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Let's dig deeper. They struggled offensively against most of the better opponents they faced (somewhat like us). They rolled up big numbers on bad teams but had some issues against really good teams when they played them (19 against Baltimore, 17 against Philly, 14 against the Chiefs in regular season, 6 against the Chiefs in postseason, only 14 and 20 against the Bills the two times they played. They beat us but only dropped 22 points on us.

In that playoff game, the Chiefs was all over Tua. Speedy WRs didn't help there. They also stifled the Dolphins run game. Speedy WRs couldn't overcome OL issues in some of their biggest games.
I hear you but I think Worthy is a better player than the 7th rated tackle or interior lineman. A Worthy and 2nd round running back would do more for a team than those linemen. Injuries to the receivers and running back cost Miami in the end.

1942willys

Reaction score
The RB does squat without an O line so this whole conversation is a joke
SAME with a WR when the QB is flat on his back or running for his life

Sydla

Reaction score
I hear you but I think Worthy is a better player than the 7th rated tackle or interior lineman. A Worthy and 2nd round running back would do more for a team than those linemen. Injuries to the receivers and running back cost Miami in the end.
Worthy is like the 4th or 5th WR.

LOL. 1st round WR, 2nd round RB.

Wonderful.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Worthy is like the 4th or 5th WR.

LOL. 1st round WR, 2nd round RB.

Wonderful.
We would be better taking the skill players over the offensive linemen. With Worthy and a top 3 running back you wouldn’t be able to key in on CeeDee and Ferguson. Cooks would be getting a 3rd cornerback, The offense would actually stress the defense. Look at the Packers. You can’t name one of their offensive linemen. They have 4 quality receivers, two exceptional tight ends, and one elite runner. We could be similar.

Sydla

Reaction score
We would be better taking the skill players over the offensive linemen. With Worthy and a top 3 running back you wouldn’t be able to key in on CeeDee and Ferguson. Cooks would be getting a 3rd cornerback, The offense would actually stress the defense. Look at the Packers. You can’t name one of their offensive linemen. They have 4 quality receivers, two exceptional tight ends, and one elite runner. We could be similar.
First of all, you glossed right over the one point. You'd rather have Worthy over the 7th rated OT but Worthy himself is like the 4th or 5th rated WR. So there is no real difference there. Two, if the best WR is not as good as say the 5th OT in any particular draft, why the hell would you take the worse player? If the #2 CB isn't as good a player as the #5 DT, why would you take the CB? Because he rated higher at his position than the other guy at his? That's a crazy way to draft.

The Cowboys were inconsistent all year in the run game, in part, due to inconsistent OL blocking. And then two of that OL left in FA and we've done nothing to improve it. Their replacements are low round/UDFA types. If you think adding a TB high in the draft solves the run game problems, LOL, good luck with that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Texas speed demon and very good WR, Xavier Worthy (4.21 NFL Combine 40 yd dash record holder), is there for the taking at the Cowboys 24th (1st round) overall pick, you'd better take him instead of passing him up or trading down your 24th pick with the hopes Worthy will be available early in the 2nd round. I guarantee you, if you pass Xavier Worthy at 24th overall, one the next and last 8 teams in the 1st round (GB, TB, ARI, BUF, DET, BAL, SF, KC) will take him and make us regret it for the next 8 - 10 years the way you passed up Randy Moss in the late 90s and regretted it badly for the next 10 years.

Here is what WR Xavier Worthy can do for our Offense, for CeeDee and for our running attack...

Highlights

You can draft Oline (OT and C) in the mid rounds, and you can draft RB or LB in the 2nd round (56th overall). If you pass up WR Xavier Worthy if he's available when your 24th pick (1st round) comes up, you're going to regret it. Don't try to get cute or outsmart yourselves. Drew Pearson had Tony Hill paired up with him. Michael Irvin had Alvin Harper. Pick WR Xavier Worthy to pair up with CeeDee Lamb and turn your WR crew into one of the best in the NFL.

Xavier Worthy
5-11, 165, 4.21 forty

Randy Moss
6-4, 210, 4.25 forty, 47" vert

baltcowboy

Reaction score
First of all, you glossed right over the one point. You'd rather have Worthy over the 7th rated OT but Worthy himself is like the 4th or 5th rated WR. So there is no real difference there. Two, if the best WR is not as good as say the 5th OT in any particular draft, why the hell would you take the worse player? If the #2 CB isn't as good a player as the #5 DT, why would you take the CB? Because he rated higher at his position than the other guy at his? That's a crazy way to draft.

The Cowboys were inconsistent all year in the run game, in part, due to inconsistent OL blocking. And then two of that OL left in FA and we've done nothing to improve it. Their replacements are low round/UDFA types. If you think adding a TB high in the draft solves the run game problems, LOL, good luck with that.
The offensive line issues was the scheme in 2022 Martin and Steele was the best run blocking tackle/guard tandem in the league. I personally think we would be ok with Bass, Richards, Hoffman, Ball, and Wikisko filing in for Tyron/Tyler B. The league has changed. They just made another rule to hurt the defense. Worthy is gonna D.Jax this league.

1942willys

Reaction score
The offensive line issues was the scheme in 2022 Martin and Steele was the best run blocking tackle/guard tandem in the league. I personally think we would be ok with Bass, Richards, Hoffman, Ball, and Wikisko filing in for Tyron/Tyler B. The league has changed. They just made another rule to hurt the defense. Worthy is gonna D.Jax this league.
Scrubs on the O line. I guess you have not been a boys fan long enough to remember 2010 and after

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Scrubs on the O line. I guess you have not been a boys fan long enough to remember 2010 and after
The game has changed. K.C., Baltimore, Green Bay, and San Francisco line was not that good. We had one of the best offensive lines in the history of the NFL from 2014-2016 and won one playoff game. You need playmakers.