Dallas Cowboys, don't try to get cute and outsmart yourselves

Sydla

Reaction score
The game has changed. K.C., Baltimore, Green Bay, and San Francisco line was not that good. We had one of the best offensive lines in the history of the NFL from 2014-2016 and won one playoff game. You need playmakers.
It wasn't from lack of playmakers in 2014-16.

I get it, every year we get the guys here who are like Jerry, love the flashy, sexy prospects - the WRs, the RBs, the CBs.

Going WR then RB in this draft would be hilarious. But honestly, so in line with the stupidity we've seen thus far in this offseason.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It wasn't from lack of playmakers in 2014-16.

I get it, every year we get the guys here who are like Jerry, love the flashy, sexy prospects - the WRs, the RBs, the CBs.

Going WR then RB in this draft would be hilarious. But honestly, so in line with the stupidity we've seen thus far in this offseason.
Jerry rarely drafts flashy players early. CeeDee was the last one since Zeke in 2016. We actually need playmakers. The rules are for players like Worthy. Let’s get him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jerry rarely drafts flashy players early. CeeDee was the last one since Zeke in 2016. We actually need playmakers. The rules are for players like Worthy. Let’s get him.
Great.

Then don't come back here next offseason lamenting how Dak couldn't get the ball to his playmakers as the OL failed to establish a consistent run game and protect Dak.

WR then RB would be epically silly but utterly predictable for a franchise that continues to spit the bit.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Great.

Then don't come back here next offseason lamenting how Dak couldn't get the ball to his playmakers as the OL failed to establish a consistent run game and protect Dak.

WR then RB would be epically silly but utterly predictable for a franchise that continues to spit the bit.
Either way there will be complaints. There is still a debate over whether Tyler was any good at left tackle in 2022. I am in the corner of more playmakers.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Between an OL and a WR, I'd take a WR. It's at least a push.

OL is a "weakest link" game, while WR is a "better man wins" game. Five linemen all need to win for your QB to stay upright, but only one receiver needs to win for your QB to have an open throw. So in a perfect world, WR is a spot where you want to be top-heavy and spend premium resources, and OL is where you want to spread the love and find a bunch of average dudes instead of starting say 2 studs and 3 scrubs. The Shanahan-tree offenses like the Rams and Dolphins are using this model, and have some very concentrated target distributions.

You could argue that LTs play a "better man wins" game within the OL game, because their reps against edge rushers are much more isolated than interior linemen face. I'd accept that. But if you buy into WAR stats, WR's a more valuable position, and even if you look at the free agency contracts being handed out, WR is a more valuable position.

With that being said, I don't love the second tier of WR talent in this class as much as some do. Worthy and Brian Thomas Jr both strike me as athletes playing football, and I don't love that at all in an early-round pick. People think fast 40 = deep threat WR, but hauling in deep catches is almost equally as much about ball skills. They're almost never just a question of just outracing the DB to some finish line... everything but the cleanest throws require adjustments to be made. Worthy's not that guy, and even on clean throws, his hands are just bad. I think he's a Marquez Valdez-Scantling type.
I’m starting to lean that way too…heard someone say if he’s picking between OL and a WR take the WR bc he scores tuddys.

The Chiefs were 20th in pass block win rate last year. Granted Mahomes is an alien but still. 49ers were also outside the top 10.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I'd be fine with Worthy. I think some of the other WRs will have a better overall career, but you can't deny the impact a prime DeSean Jackson would have on this (or any) team.

I do hope we look WR in round one or two. This is a good class and we have the need.

Tackle is obviously the blinking red light and realistically the thing that needs addressing first. But as the draft goes on, I think I'd take WR before a RB in the second or third.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If Texas speed demon and very good WR, Xavier Worthy (4.21 NFL Combine 40 yd dash record holder), is there for the taking at the Cowboys 24th (1st round) overall pick, you'd better take him instead of passing him up or trading down your 24th pick with the hopes Worthy will be available early in the 2nd round. I guarantee you, if you pass Xavier Worthy at 24th overall, one the next and last 8 teams in the 1st round (GB, TB, ARI, BUF, DET, BAL, SF, KC) will take him and make us regret it for the next 8 - 10 years the way you passed up Randy Moss in the late 90s and regretted it badly for the next 10 years.

Here is what WR Xavier Worthy can do for our Offense, for CeeDee and for our running attack...

Highlights

You can draft Oline (OT and C) in the mid rounds, and you can draft RB or LB in the 2nd round (56th overall). If you pass up WR Xavier Worthy if he's available when your 24th pick (1st round) comes up, you're going to regret it. Don't try to get cute or outsmart yourselves. Drew Pearson had Tony Hill paired up with him. Michael Irvin had Alvin Harper. Pick WR Xavier Worthy to pair up with CeeDee Lamb and turn your WR crew into one of the best in the NFL.

Why would you need 2 WR's with no QB in 2025?

What does a young QB need most? An offensive line.

Not hard to figure out.

Flamma

Reaction score
If Texas speed demon and very good WR, Xavier Worthy (4.21 NFL Combine 40 yd dash record holder), is there for the taking at the Cowboys 24th (1st round) overall pick, you'd better take him instead of passing him up or trading down your 24th pick with the hopes Worthy will be available early in the 2nd round. I guarantee you, if you pass Xavier Worthy at 24th overall, one the next and last 8 teams in the 1st round (GB, TB, ARI, BUF, DET, BAL, SF, KC) will take him and make us regret it for the next 8 - 10 years the way you passed up Randy Moss in the late 90s and regretted it badly for the next 10 years.
Let's say they are going WR in the first. How do we know they'll be looking to draft him? There will probably be other WRs on the board ranked higher than him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why would you need 2 WR's with no QB in 2025?

What does a young QB need most? An offensive line.

Not hard to figure out.
What do you mean no QB in 2025? Get real if you believe Dak won't be here in 2025. Don't follow or listen to the haters.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Let's say they are going WR in the first. How do we know they'll be looking to draft him? There will probably be other WRs on the board ranked higher than him.
Maybe (other WR available), but none of the other WRs have the speed or playmaking ability Xavier Worthy does.

Flamma

Reaction score
Maybe (other WR available), but none of the other WRs have the speed or playmaking ability Xavier Worthy does.
Then why are there 7 WRs in front of him? I'm not saying that's where he should be, just looking as to why. Could it be because he's 5'11 165 pounds? When I played WR I was the same height at 180 pounds, and I looked like a skeleton.

I know these big boards aren't always right. I also agree with you that I would like that WR after the top 3 are gone. We just have no way of knowing the Jones boys will see it that way. He might not even have a first round grade on their board.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Then why are there 7 WRs in front of him? I'm not saying that's where he should be, just looking as to why. Could it be because he's 5'11 165 pounds? When I played WR I was the same height at 180 pounds, and I looked like a skeleton.

I know these big boards aren't always right. I also agree with you that I would like that WR after the top 3 are gone. We just have no way of knowing the Jones boys will see it that way. He might not even have a first round grade on their board.
There's 7 WRs ahead of Xavier Worthy according to whom? Bunch of draft analysts who get it wrong half the time? I go by what's on tape, how the team said player did last year, plus what conference and size of competition said WR played in.

Flamma

Reaction score
There's 7 WRs ahead of Xavier Worthy according to whom? Bunch of draft analysts who get it wrong half the time? I go by what's on tape, how the team said player did last year, plus what conference and size of competition said WR played in.
No argument from me. Which is always why I laugh when people say, "The experts say". There are no experts. But GMs mostly go by this list.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sad but true in Jerry's case.
To be honest, I'd love it if they drafted him. His tape pops. Him and CD together would be nice. Dak isn't as crap as people think he is, but that's another story. The problem is the lack of support. But people keep pointing to Dak. I get it. But step back and look at what our front office is doing. I don't argue our QBs limitations. But our GM needs to account for them. Because if he doesn't, it's not going to matter who plays QB. It will be groundhog day.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
To be honest, I'd love it if they drafted him. His tape pops. Him and CD together would be nice. Dak isn't as crap as people think he is, but that's another story. The problem is the lack of support. But people keep pointing to Dak. I get it. But step back and look at what our front office is doing. I don't argue our QBs limitations. But our GM needs to account for them. Because if he doesn't, it's not going to matter who plays QB. It will be groundhog day.
:hammer: :hammer: