Dallas Cowboys: Is it Time to Rebuild the Offensive Line?

Wood

Reaction score
by Scott Sauer 2 days ago Follow @realScottSauer

Turn back the clock five years, the Dallas Cowboys are coming off their third consecutive 8-8 season and after losing their third consecutive winner-take-all Week 17 game. Approaching the 2014 draft, the hype is surrounding Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel.

Jerry Jones wishes for him to be the heir to Tony Romo. Dallas’ selection eventually comes around and with the 16th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Cowboys select Zack Martin. For the first time, Jerry Jones doesn’t get what he wants, but what he needs.

This selection marks the beginning of a new era in Dallas. The focus has turned to building the offensive line to protect Romo from injury as he got older and to take the pressure off of him by running the ball.

The strategy worked as the Cowboys rode their new Great Wall of Dallas to the Divisional round of the playoffs twice in the past 4 years. Tony Romo and Dak Prescott have had all the time in the world to drop back in the pocket and look for an open receiver.

This offensive line led the way as DeMarco Murray led the league in rushing in 2014 and Ezekiel Elliott in 2016. In both 2014 and 2016, Dallas finished second in the league in rushing yards per game with 147.1 and 149.8 respectively.

Now back here in 2018, the vaunted Great Wall of Dallas is beginning to crumble. Injuries and age are starting to take their toll. Just about each part of the offensive line has a problem it’s dealing with. The Cowboys spend more of their money on the Offensive Line than any other team in the NFL.

Highlight: Injuries have plagued Tyron Smith for the past couple of seasons.

Highlight: The absence of Travis Frederick is evident.

Highlight: There has been a lack of stability at Left Guard and Right Tackle.

Follow the link for the rest.
https://sportdfw.com/2018/09/22/dallas-cowboys-rebuild-offensive-line/

I would be drafting OL every draft because as we can see its very very difficult to keep five 300+ pound men who collide into other 300+ men weekly. Dallas seems to have an eye for OL so just keep drafting them. But I would make philosophical change and give up on this 1990's dream of re-creating their Super Bowl team. Get franchise QB and very good D and they will contend yearly.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't think we're rebuilding at all. Frederick will be back some day, Martin's a stud, and I still have faith in Connor Williams.

But we do need a tackle. Collins sucks against speed rushers and Tyron is looking closer and closer to done.

That's how it works in the NFL - it's a season to season sport. Some guys will break out, some guys will decline, some guys will get hurt, etc etc. It's not like a 5 man line just monolithically rises and falls at the same time, you take it on a year by year and player by player baiss.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I would be drafting OL every draft because as we can see its very very difficult to keep five 300+ pound men who collide into other 300+ men weekly. Dallas seems to have an eye for OL so just keep drafting them. But I would make philosophical change and give up on this 1990's dream of re-creating their Super Bowl team. Get franchise QB and very good D and they will contend yearly.
I agree. I'd be grabbing one per draft somewhere between rounds 3 and 5.