Dallas Cowboys QB History

mmohican29

Reaction score
Extreme;2384125 said:
Without the SB wins, completely due to everyone else on the team, would you even put Aikman in the top 10?

Terry Bradshaw won some SB for Pittsburgh, but like Aikman, was more a product of being in the right place at the right time IMO.

:lmao2:Which makes perfect sense that you're a Commanders fan because you are obviously clueless. Aikman was good from the get go, the team had to catch up to HIS talent level. Aikman is a HOF player. How can you justify NOT putting him in the franchise's top 10 at the QB position.

In the middle ages, they would put you to the sword for being so moronic.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Extreme;2384125 said:
Without the SB wins, completely due to everyone else on the team, would you even put Aikman in the top 10?

Terry Bradshaw won some SB for Pittsburgh, but like Aikman, was more a product of being in the right place at the right time IMO.
Dude, I can't help but hope this is the most ridiculous question you ask while on this forum. For the most part, you've had good stuff to say. I hope you were under the weather and had a fever.

Holy cow.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah right. Aikman "the bus driver" was just along for the ride. Raise your hand if you think we would have won three championships with Steve Walsh under center.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Troy Aikman was a superb QB who sacrificed personal stats for TEAM success. Had he been in a different system his numbers would have been much higher.

Bradshaw actually was a product of the system and benefited from a great defense and a solid running game. He lost the starting job a number of times early in his career and didn't really settle in as the guy until AFTER their first SB win. In fact, he lost the startng job to Joe Gilliam that season (1974) before getting it back. Terry had a big arm but was too careless with the ball as his 210 INTs (to go with only 212 TDs) show.

When you compare Bradshaw's numbers with his contemporaries (Staubach, Stabler, Anderson, Tarkenton, Griese, Bert Jones, Jim Hart, etc.) he isn't very impressive. Not bad, just not impressive. The Stealers winning 4 SBs is impressive but Bradshaw isn't. What in impressive about Terry was his toughness and that he came up big in big games.

Aikman was the most accurate QB I've ever seen play, and I've seen a LOT of QBs over the past 45 years of watching football. Had he played in a more pass-oriented system his numbers would be amazing. Under Norv Turner, Troy played in a balanced, deep-pass offense where we didn't throw a lot of dinks and dunks like in the WCO but went downfield more often andutilized Emmitt in the running game a lot. Actually, it was similar to what Bradshaw played in but Troy's numbers a a whole lot better than Terry's.

There is no way we would have won 3 SBs in the 90s with a different QB. Aikman was the perfect guy for the team we had and the style we played. Had he played in a system like Marino's or Peyton Manning's he would have put up numbers like them.

StoneyBurk

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what the CHI Bears numbers look like over the last 48 years as I believe they probably have had the worst quarterbacks in the league during that time

joseephuss;2378888 said:
As QB for the Cowboys compared to the league average:

Eddie LeBaron
67.2 QB rating
66.4 NFL average
+1.2%

Don Meredith
74.8 QB rating
66.4 NFL average
+12.7%

Craig Morton
75.6 QB rating
65.6 NFL average
+15.2%

Roger Staubach
83.4 QB rating
65.7 NFL average
+26.9%

Danny White
81.7 QB rating
72.2 NFL average
+13.2%

Troy Aikman
81.6 QB rating
77.3 NFL average
+5.6%

Quincy Carter plus his brief time with the Jets
71.6 QB rating
80.1 NFL average
-10.6%

This is based on the info i found on the pro-football reference site. I don't have the current info for Romo.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
StoneyBurk;2384981 said:
It would be interesting to see what the CHI Bears numbers look like over the last 48 years as I believe they probably have had the worst quarterbacks in the league during that time

When the best QB your team has ever had retired in 1950 that's pretty sad.

They haven't had anyone worth squat since Sid Luckman retired. He still holds most of their passing records. How pitiful is that!

Jim Harbaugh, Jim McMahon, Erik Kramer, had some success with McMahon having the best years in 84 & 85, but mostly they have sucked.

The 49ERs have probably had the most top QBs with Montana, Young, Brodie, Tittle, Jeff Garcia & Frankie Albert.

We have a pretty good group with Aikman, Staubach, White, Meredith, Morton, and now Romo and should pass the Niners once Romo has a couple more seasons under his belt.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;2385067 said:
We have a pretty good group with Aikman, Staubach, White, Meredith, Morton, and now Romo and should pass the Niners once Romo has a couple more seasons under his belt.

RBs have been good to us as well. Hos, ranking the tailbacks should be your next project--that is, if you have the time, desire or energy.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
bbgun;2385118 said:
RBs have been good to us as well. Hos, ranking the tailbacks should be your next project--that is, if you have the time, desire or energy.

Too true. Just a quick top-10:

Emmitt Smith
Tony Dorsett
Herschel Walker
Don Perkins
Duane Thomas
Calvin Hill
Marion Barber
Robert Newhouse
Walt Garrison
Julius Jones

You can rearrange them any way you like. I just sort of pulled them off the top of my head.

StoneyBurk

Reaction score
THUMPER;2385140 said:
Too true. Just a quick top-10:

Emmitt Smith
Tony Dorsett
Herschel Walker
Don Perkins
Duane Thomas
Calvin Hill
Marion Barber
Robert Newhouse
Walt Garrison
Julius Jones

You can rearrange them any way you like. I just sort of pulled them off the top of my head.
Wasn't Don Perkins the NFL's fourth leading rusher all time when he retired ?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
StoneyBurk;2386209 said:
Wasn't Don Perkins the NFL's fourth leading rusher all time when he retired ?

Actually, he was 5th:

Jim Brown(1957-1965) - 12312 yards - 118 games
Joe Perry(1948-1963) - 9723 yards - 181 games
Jim Taylor(1958-1967) - 8597 yards - 132 games
John Henry Johnson(1954-1966) - 6803 yards - 143 games
Don Perkins(1961-1968) - 6217 yards - 107 games

Why he isn't in the HoF is beyond me. All 4 of the other guys are and they all played significantly longer (except Brown who only played 11 more games).

burmafrd

Reaction score
Staubach in 1971 had arguably the most talented Cowboys team of all time.
Certainly the most HOF players. Sadly it was a team that was right at its absolute peak and started going downhill the next year.
I admire him more for the next 3 years then later on actually. He was injured all of 72 (except for that great playoff victory over the 49rs) and was the starter from 73 on. 73 and 74 were tough years. Then the breakthrough with the last great draft Tom Landry and Gil Brandt ever had in 1975. They never drafted anywhere near as good afterwards. They would get one or two really good players every other year or so, but never again what they did in the late 60's and in 75.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
burmafrd;2386459 said:
Staubach in 1971 had arguably the most talented Cowboys team of all time.
Certainly the most HOF players. Sadly it was a team that was right at its absolute peak and started going downhill the next year.
I admire him more for the next 3 years then later on actually. He was injured all of 72 (except for that great playoff victory over the 49rs) and was the starter from 73 on. 73 and 74 were tough years. Then the breakthrough with the last great draft Tom Landry and Gil Brandt ever had in 1975. They never drafted anywhere near as good afterwards. They would get one or two really good players every other year or so, but never again what they did in the late 60's and in 75.

The drafts in 1970, & 72-77 were outstanding for us as we picked up 28 players who made significant contributions to the team for a number of years. We also took some guys who were major players for other teams (Steve DeBerg, Jim Jensen, Dave Stalls, etc.).

The draft in 77 was pretty darn good with Dorsett, Tony Hill, Guy Brown, Andy Frederick, and Jim Cooper all playing a big role for us over the years.

But that draft in 75 was without equal IMO (I know Stealers fans would disagree) as we stocked ourselves for years to come in that one draft.

After 1977 though the drafts really went downhill.

physeter

Reaction score
THUMPER;2384659 said:
Troy Aikman was a superb QB who sacrificed personal stats for TEAM success. Had he been in a different system his numbers would have been much higher.

Bradshaw actually was a product of the system and benefited from a great defense and a solid running game. He lost the starting job a number of times early in his career and didn't really settle in as the guy until AFTER their first SB win. In fact, he lost the startng job to Joe Gilliam that season (1974) before getting it back. Terry had a big arm but was too careless with the ball as his 210 INTs (to go with only 212 TDs) show.

When you compare Bradshaw's numbers with his contemporaries (Staubach, Stabler, Anderson, Tarkenton, Griese, Bert Jones, Jim Hart, etc.) he isn't very impressive. Not bad, just not impressive. The Stealers winning 4 SBs is impressive but Bradshaw isn't. What in impressive about Terry was his toughness and that he came up big in big games.

Aikman was the most accurate QB I've ever seen play, and I've seen a LOT of QBs over the past 45 years of watching football. Had he played in a more pass-oriented system his numbers would be amazing. Under Norv Turner, Troy played in a balanced, deep-pass offense where we didn't throw a lot of dinks and dunks like in the WCO but went downfield more often andutilized Emmitt in the running game a lot. Actually, it was similar to what Bradshaw played in but Troy's numbers a a whole lot better than Terry's.

There is no way we would have won 3 SBs in the 90s with a different QB. Aikman was the perfect guy for the team we had and the style we played. Had he played in a system like Marino's or Peyton Manning's he would have put up numbers like them.

Did'nt Michael Irvin mentioned once that Aikman was so accurate he sometimes just needed to cup his hands and the ball WILL be there?? He had almost 70% of completions more than once.....

Re: first post...Why Bollinger is better ranked than other QB that at least threw a meaningful pass (i.e. Reggie Collier), I mean Reggie sucked but not sure Brooks should even be on that list.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
physeter;2386679 said:
Did'nt Michael Irvin mentioned once that Aikman was so accurate he sometimes just needed to cup his hands and the ball WILL be there?? He had almost 70% of completions more than once.....

Just getting the ball to where a receiver is physically is one thing but to put it in exactly the right spot so that they can catch the ball in stride or to where the defender is screened away from it is what Aikman was so good at. His timing was also amazing, so that the ball would arrive as soon as the receiver would come out of their break. I've never seen any QB who do that as well as Troy.

There was a time in a game when the opponents blitzed and Troy was about to get swamped but he threw the ball over the middle anyway and Novacek was right there to catch it. When asked about it afterwards, Troy said he KNEW where Jay would be, he didn't have to see him. Now THAT is a great QB.

His completion % is even more amazing compared with Steve Young's when you factor in how deep most of his passes were. The WCO is based on a lot of slants, screens, and dump offs to the flats while our offense was based on posts and outs so the ball had to travel a lot further and yet his completion % was quite comparable to Young's and more impressive because of the distance of the average throw.