Dallas Cowboys state of the union

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While our priorities are out of whack with our dysfunctional ownership to be fair you really shouldn’t totally shake up a playoff contender with 3 straight 12 win seasons.

Yes, we are very disappointed and frustrated by the early playoff exits or choke jobs, however you want to describe it, but this is one of the best teams these idiots have put together this era and isn’t really qualified or has history of totally starting over not to stay the course.

With our situation this is probably best direction to go. Hang on to core of your playoff team and try to build upon it best you can. A few tweaks, edits and new additions . When it bottoms out then you start over or shake it up.

Continued on following pages…

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree. This team has proven they can win a lot of regular season games and make the playoffs, but they haven't proven they can win when it matters. You keep re-signing the same guys and you will likely have the same result. We need to find a way to sure up the weakest spots within the cap or we need to start doing things a different way and that includes players and coaches. Do we have the cap space and willingness to do that? Good enough isn't the goal

Aven8

Reaction score
Buffalo is actually going through the same things we are. When you have won this much it just needs to be reloaded year after year until it runs out. We have three of the top players in football with Micah, Lamb, and Diggs.

Good drafting has gotten us here and Mikes approach. It’s time to take the next step.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
We aren't doing anything this year. You'll see a lot of the same issues you saw last season simply because we don't have the cap space to make moves. Next year is the year. When we can finally move on from Dak and his incredibly inflated cap hit. Then we'll actually have some cap space to get some new blood in here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s two types of teams in the NFL.

You’re either trying to build around a Franchise QB( which isn’t necessarily Elite) or a team looking for a Franchise QB.

While the Cowboys don’t have an Elite QB , they do have a Franchise QB. And while the disappointments is rampant from playoff shortcomings teams aren’t aborting Franchise QB’s who are consistent playoff qualifiers despite however frustrating and disappointing.

And a dysfunctional ownership like ours who were looking to draft in 1st round the likes of Lynch and Manziel this is a much better situation to build around .

We should be focused on other glaring weaknesses which weren’t a leader in their categories during the season . Like in our rushing offense and rushing defense .

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Brace for a modest free agency​

Remember those previous years when many NFL teams brought out the big dollars in free agency while the Cowboys kept to the bargain-shopping lane?

Cowboys won’t at all be big spenders when the negotiation window opens March 11 and free agency formally launches March 13.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
External additions are sure to come.

But the scale of those contracts probably will disappoint anyone whose expectations are not checked at the door. Pick a position. Its biggest-name free agent for whom fans are clamoring is unlikely to sign here.

Running back is one example. Derrick Henry and Saquon Barkley’s names did not come up in Indy. The team is more likely to re-sign Tony Pollard, assuming at a bargain price and draft a replacement .

The Cowboys have hit before on low-priced additions after free agency’s first waves. Safety Jayron Kearse, safety Malik Hooker and wide receiver KaVontae Turpin are among the examples. Kicker Brandon Aubrey, an All-Pro and Pro Bowler, made the league minimum last year.

It’s time to hit again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Prescott extension in 2024 is not guaranteed​

A popular discussion among media and fans is whether Prescott can someday lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. That he just completed an MVP runner-up season, despite being in the first year of a new offense poised to evolve in 2024, would strongly support the notion he can. But that is not really the question.

A better one is how realistically the team can build a championship-caliber roster, one that gives Prescott a sufficient supporting cast, if making him the highest-paid player in NFL history at a time when Lamb and Parsons are on track to become the highest-paid receiver and defender in league history, too.

To be clear, Prescott has not publicly said he seeks that sort of deal, and he may not.

Whether he does could dictate how quickly negotiations progress this offseason. The Cowboys’ appetite for a historic Prescott contract in 2024 remains to be seen.

As reported in January, the club can slash Prescott’s cap hit by more than $18 million converting much in a signing bonus. No negotiation between the team and Prescott’s agent is required to perform the maneuver; the required language is baked into the contract he signed in 2021.

But it’s still likely the Cowboys will make every attempt to resign Prescott.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
While our priorities are out of whack with our dysfunctional ownership to be fair you really shouldn’t totally shake up a playoff contender with 3 straight 12 win seasons.

Yes, we are very disappointed and frustrated by the early playoff exits or choke jobs, however you want to describe it, but this is one of the best teams these idiots have put together this era and isn’t really qualified or has history of totally starting over not to stay the course.

With our situation this is probably best direction to go. Hang on to core of your playoff team and try to build upon it best you can. A few tweaks, edits and new additions . When it bottoms out then you start over or shake it up.

Continued on following pages…
They are in no man’s land.

It’s not worth it to break it all down right now even if they were inclined to.

But players are declining faster than they are being developed. Tyron and Martin are shells of what they were even 2-3 years ago.

Quinn squoze a lot out of meh safeties in 21 and 22. That’s about over. They literally have no LB to be counted on, need desperate help on the DL….

Parsons and Lambs rookie deals were wasted. They had a real shot to add the supplements they needed but went cheap about it.

They use the draft only to improve. The last few, aside from a couple of players, have been awful. How are they supposed to hold serve in that case, let alone improve?

The solution is more free agency than usual. They probably know that and will go with quantity over quality, as has already been said.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

But players are declining faster than they are being developed. Tyron and Martin are shells of what they were even 2-3 years ago.

Quinn squoze a lot out of meh safeties in 21 and 22. That’s about over. They literally have no LB to be counted on, need desperate help on the DL….

Parsons and Lambs rookie deals were wasted. They had a real shot to add the supplements they needed but went cheap about it.

They use the draft only to improve. The last few, aside from a couple of players, have been awful. How are they supposed to hold serve in that case, let alone improve?

The solution is more free agency than usual. They probably know that and will go with quantity over quality, as has already been said.
To be fair they tried to address defense in draft last year but1st rd pk Mazi was disappointment and LB Overshown was hurt early

Do we reinvest in this draft again or try and develop them?

And I think most would have liked to see invest in draft more at RB. And prob OL. LB will prob be another priority as well if Vander Esch is done. Another big loss last year.

75boyz

Reaction score
Until there's a re-set at the 2 most important positions on the team, head coach and QB, the results of team failure will remain the same.

Your post history has shown that you are not the biggest Jerry supporter so I was kinda hoping on a different themed post of shake it up and let's see what happens instead of run it back with SlerpNumber and McFraud and just waste another year

Which is exactly what Jerry's doing.

jmo

Big_D

Reaction score
More bargain bin shopping. How very exciting. Can’t wait for some 32 year old, 2 million dollar splash signing in mid June while they ride this same wave.

But never forget to overpay your own players.. stick to the recipe!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I have a feeling the Cowboys are going to shock us somewhere in spending some money NOT on their own guys, i'm not focused on that in this comment. I can see them hearing the fan noise for all these years, it's time to make a big move to add talent. Now i'm also of the belief that we don't have to get a huge name, we can get more for our money and get really good players in here for the price of one big ticket name

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Prescott extension in 2024 is not guaranteed​

A popular discussion among media and fans is whether Prescott can someday lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. That he just completed an MVP runner-up season, despite being in the first year of a new offense poised to evolve in 2024, would strongly support the notion he can. But that is not really the question.

A better one is how realistically the team can build a championship-caliber roster, one that gives Prescott a sufficient supporting cast, if making him the highest-paid player in NFL history at a time when Lamb and Parsons are on track to become the highest-paid receiver and defender in league history, too.

To be clear, Prescott has not publicly said he seeks that sort of deal, and he may not.

Whether he does could dictate how quickly negotiations progress this offseason. The Cowboys’ appetite for a historic Prescott contract in 2024 remains to be seen.

As reported in January, the club can slash Prescott’s cap hit by more than $18 million converting much in a signing bonus. No negotiation between the team and Prescott’s agent is required to perform the maneuver; the required language is baked into the contract he signed in 2021.

But it’s still likely the Cowboys will make every attempt to resign Prescott.
Not just likely, it’s a given they will go to the bank of Dak. Appreciate all your content in this thread. I disagree with core parts of it including I think they need to rebuild this but it’s great food for thought.

Big_D

Reaction score
I have a feeling the Cowboys are going to shock us somewhere in spending some money NOT on their own guys, i'm not focused on that in this comment. I can see them hearing the fan noise for all these years, it's time to make a big move to add talent. Now i'm also of the belief that we don't have to get a huge name, we can get more for our money and get really good players in here for the price of one big ticket name
You think they’re finally hearing the fans? lol this front office is as tone deaf as it gets. Sounds nice, but with Jerry and Stephen the odds are against it. They don’t care at all what the fans think

75boyz

Reaction score
They are in no man’s land.

Outstanding post.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You think they’re finally hearing the fans? lol this front office is as tone deaf as it gets. Sounds nice, but with Jerry and Stephen the odds are against it. They don’t care at all what the fans think
you always find a way to take me out my zone, I was having a great day, you make me thank the RIGHT WAY, dang these Jones guys!!!