Dallas Cowboys state of the union

Cmac

Reaction score
They're getting all the ratings they need by drawing this dak qb situation out when they're really going to cave and give him a billion dollar deal
Ratings would be even bigger with Hard Knocks. He doesn't need to shelf out a billion to give us a new Fall Guy. It's comical that tunnel vision exists when examining the dysfunction. Dalton Shultz just tried to cite another example.

Big_D

Reaction score
I mean, you're only as good as your last game, right?
Now consider the performance of the head coach and QB in the last GB playoff game...

Now again look at both their performances in previous playoff games as well.

Answer:
We need a HC and QB who don't suck at playoff football.

Those 2 positions performance determine playoff success while the rest of the team follows their lead.
It will be a start not to renegotiate that contract, but those guys won’t be going anywhere in 24 with plenty of areas that still need to be addressed. Jerry and Stephen still fawn over their QB like a couple of schoolgirls with a huge crush.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I can’t see a difference between the last three state of the unions. We are in the phase where Jerry is starting to think he doesn’t need to appease the angry or disappointed fans any longer and will move to the hope and praising phase of this roster being Super Bowl ready. That will be in full swing right after the “best draft in years”. McCarthy will nod his head. Stephen will constantly utter some jibberish about the cap and his calculator in between his “Dak’s our guy” statements.

A jolt is needed to break this cycle of cultivating a soft team and I can’t fathom where it will come from. I think building the O and D lines can help along with an infusion of ultra-physical players who are just menaces.

Big_D

Reaction score
In order to be a choke job you have to be continually upset . And genuinely a better team than the results delivered .

I’d argue we were upset last year but previous 2 seasons SF was definitely the better team.

This team has been over hyped . When that happens then the disappointment is much greater. Packers were playing great second half of season . We played poorly down the stretch.

I’d argue we weren’t a legit 2 seed last year . All season we were on target for 5th seed. And final month we were on the verge of losing 3 straight to playoff caliber teams .

If not for Egirls total collapse and Lions stupidity on 2 point play we would have been 5th seed which is probably more where we actually are.

Perception and perspective is vital to drawing rational evaluations . Many of us tried to warn all season we were being over hyped as blowing out losing teams provided us a false sense of security.
Perception is another thing no one will care about. You see a typical result over and over. 12 wins is not a success without playing well in January. The perception is how “great” they draft and how they have one of the “best” rosters in the league. Yet they choke every year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can’t see a difference between the last three state of the unions. We are in the phase where Jerry is starting to think he doesn’t need to appease the angry or disappointed fans any longer and will move to the hope and praising phase of this roster being Super Bowl ready. That will be in full swing right after the “best draft in years”. McCarthy will nod his head. Stephen will constantly utter some jibberish about the cap and his calculator in between his “Dak’s our guy” statements.

A jolt is needed to break this cycle of cultivating a soft team and I can’t fathom where it will come from. I think building the O and D lines can help along with an infusion of ultra-physical players who are just menaces.
Unfortunately if your wanting start over will have to root for consecutive 12 loss seasons cause the Jethro is in high cotton with 12 win seasons .

He has to pinch himself at night how such part time idiots could have built a playoff contender. Lol

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I’m a huge critic of our ownership and how this franchise is dysfunctionally ran.

That said I’m not sure I’d describe a perineal playoff team a total waste . No doubt it’s very frustrating and disappointing not having more success in the playoffs .

And while our QB and team are probably not enough for Super Bowl run doesn’t mean you scrap and start over .
You are kind of conflicting what I said….i said winning 12 games and making the playoffs every year is the exact opposite of a waste and is something. I made that very clear. I never even advocated for scraping everything and starting over.

However, if you’re just bringing back the same team every year and not adding real talent to the team when the team clearly isn’t in the same tier as the top elite teams than in retrospect in a few years this 100% will be a wasted era. The teams philosophy right now seems to be run it back and hope we bust through next time.

While teams like San Fran sign Hargreaves last year in free agency, teams like Philly make trades for a safety while being in first, while teams like the rams continued to acquired talent during their run and while teams like Baltimore will probably add a Derrick Henry or another big game guy this offseason, same for Detroit.

Just running everything back and not upgrading the talent on the team isn’t good enough. Swapping out one solid player for another solid player (because there’s roster turnover every year) isn’t good enough, it’s shuffling deck chairs, and that’s what they are basically selling us imo if they don’t get aggressive this offseason

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Perception is another thing no one will care about. You see a typical result over and over. 12 wins is not a success without playing well in January. The perception is how “great” they draft and how they have one of the “best” rosters in the league. Yet they choke every year.
I’d argue their roster has been over hyped which fuels the lofty expectations.

Unfortunately the hype is derived from our celebrity football owner which fans and media all too often take the bait.

If we saw this team for what it actually is not what we want it to be perhaps we’d be on more level ground .

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
In order to be a choke job you have to be continually upset . And genuinely a better team than the results delivered .

I’d argue we were upset last year but previous 2 seasons SF was definitely the better team.

This team has been over hyped . When that happens then the disappointment is much greater. Packers were playing great second half of season . We played poorly down the stretch.

I’d argue we weren’t a legit 2 seed last year . All season we were on target for 5th seed. And final month we were on the verge of losing 3 straight to playoff caliber teams .

If not for Egirls total collapse and Lions stupidity on 2 point play we would have been 5th seed which is probably more where we actually are.

Perception and perspective is vital to drawing rational evaluations . Many of us tried to warn all season we were being over hyped as blowing out losing teams provided us a false sense of security.
I can't argue against anything you're saying here, but if you believe this to be true why not be in favor of a rebuild at this point? The core of this roster is too developed to be OK being viewed as a wild card level team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are kind of conflicting what I said….i said winning 12 games and making the playoffs every year is the exact opposite of a waste and is something. I made that very clear. I never even advocated for scraping everything and starting over.

However, if you’re just bringing back the same team every year and not adding real talent to the team when the team clearly isn’t in the same tier as the top elite teams than in retrospect in a few years this 100% will be a wasted era. The teams philosophy right now seems to be run it back and hope we bust through next time.

While teams like San Fran sign Hargreaves last year in free agency, teams like Philly make trades for a safety while being in first, while teams like the rams continued to acquired talent during their run and while teams like Baltimore will probably add a Derrick Henry or another big game guy this offseason, same for Detroit.

Just running everything back and not upgrading the talent on the team isn’t good enough. Swapping out one solid player for another solid player (because there’s roster turnover every year) isn’t good enough, it’s shuffling deck chairs, and that’s what they are basically selling us imo if they don’t get aggressive this offseason
My basis of argument is we are being sold a faulty bill of goods.

Our team is over hyped . We see it as disappointment but it’s actually reflecting reality.

It’s no mistake or coincidence we blowout lesser teams and struggle against better teams.

But yet when we lose against better teams we see this as choking when that’s not always the case.

shabazz

Reaction score
you always find a way to take me out my zone, I was having a great day, you make me thank the RIGHT WAY, dang these Jones guys!!!
Just remember that the Jones boys are sphincters and you'll never be disappointed

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can't argue against anything you're saying here, but if you believe this to be true why not be in favor of a rebuild at this point? The core of this roster is too developed to be OK being viewed as a wild card level team.
Because I don’t believe this dysfunctional ownership has the capability of a total rebuild . Not in any reasonable amount of time anyway.

Even if we view it as a divisional title type team instead of WC doesn’t translate we are at the same level of some of the other teams in NFC or entire league for that matter.

The fact our Franchise QB isn’t Elite places at a disadvantage given if everything else was similar . But it’s not .

These other stronger competitors have arguably stronger coaching staffs , front offices and perhaps more Elite talent in some key positions .

Being a 3rd or 4th best team in NFC isn’t a total waste. It provides a competitive team to build on. Even if it comes up short .

Doesn’t mean we aren’t pursuing a higher level or pursuit of a championship caliber team which everyone can’t be .

Sometimes there’s just better teams and players in the way.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
I’d argue their roster has been over hyped which fuels the lofty expectations.

Unfortunately the hype is derived from our celebrity football owner which fans and media all too often take the bait.

If we saw this team for what it actually is not what we want it to be perhaps we’d be on more level ground .
Which brings us right back to the premise of this thread and the usual off-season strategy that simply isn’t working. If they want to beat a team like the niners then try to keep up with how they operate in the offseason. The good teams will be making moves while these morons do everything they can to resign their own guys and then scour the bargain bin.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
My basis of argument is we are being sold a faulty bill of goods.

Our team is over hyped . We see it as disappointment but it’s actually reflecting reality.

It’s no mistake or coincidence we blowout lesser teams and struggle against better teams.

But yet when we lose against better teams we see this as choking when that’s not always the case.
The team will always be hyped because they are the Dallas cowboys, it comes with the territory. The team however is a really good team. It’s not an elite one, which is why making the necessary moves to get to that point is important and honestly with the talent available, possible.

Hence, why I said if they don’t do that then this will all be wasted. We can agree to disagree if you don’t think the team is a good or not, I believe they were overhyped during the year but now probably undervalued. The truth is in the middle, they are a divisional round ceiling team with an opportunity with shrewd moves to get to that next level which they likely won’t do.

Zordon

Reaction score
The state of the union is a state of an emergency.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The team will always be hyped because they are the Dallas cowboys, it comes with the territory. The team however is a really good team. It’s not an elite one, which is why making the necessary moves to get to that point is important and honestly with the talent available, possible.

Hence, why I said if they don’t do that then this will all be wasted. We can agree to disagree if you don’t think the team is a good or not, I believe they were overhyped during the year but now probably undervalued. The truth is in the middle, they are a divisional round ceiling team with an opportunity with shrewd moves to get to that next level which they likely won’t do.
And you expect this dysfunctional ownership capable or even willing to make those shrewd moves necessary?

I agree we are hyped cause we are the Cowboys. But we haven’t always had an owner and GM which led the way over hyping his team. This leads fans to following this toxic path .

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Because I don’t believe this dysfunctional ownership has the capability of a total rebuild . Not in any reasonable amount of time anyway.

Even if we view it as a divisional title type team instead of WC doesn’t translate we are at the same level of some of the other teams in NFC or entire league for that matter.

The fact our Franchise QB isn’t Elite places at a disadvantage given if everything else was similar . But it’s not .

These other stronger competitors have arguably stronger coaching staffs , front offices and perhaps more Elite talent in some key positions .

Being a 3rd or 4th best team in NFC isn’t a total waste. It provides a competitive team to build on. Even if it comes up short .

Doesn’t mean we aren’t pursuing a higher level or pursuit of a championship caliber team which everyone can’t be .

Sometimes there’s just better teams and players in the way.
If I had any faith at all that Jerry would actually build on those 3rd or 4th best teams then I would agree with you. Being the 3rd or 4th best team isn't a waste, but it does become a waste if you don't ever strive for more which is exactly what we've seen in recent years. Being the Cowboys or Steelers of the league is not a great place to be...especially when we are losing more talent than we are adding, which I hope isn't the case this offseason, but it seems to be where we are headed.