Dallas Cowboys state of the union

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You think they’re finally hearing the fans? lol this front office is as tone deaf as it gets. Sounds nice, but with Jerry and Stephen the odds are against it. They don’t care at all what the fans think
They care to a certain extent . It’s why they try to plea to public perception .

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I just see too many holes on the roster to retool and make another run. The last couple of years was the time to make a splash and Jerry said we like our guys. If they wanted to do a 2021 Rams style all in year I'm here for it, but that's the only way I truly see this team being able to compete with the top teams in the NFC. IMO it's better to start the rebuild a year early rather than a year late. Right now they have an opportunity to get back into a great cap situation, and they have some players with trade value that could net them some legitimate draft capital. I'm not saying they should trade off anyone and everyone, but I would look at what's best for this team to be right back in the mix for 2025. That means probably picking one from the group of Dak, Lamb, Parsons, Bland and look to trade/cut them this offseason. I'd also look at some of these guys in the next tier and try to figure out if guys like OSA, DLaw, etc would be better to flip this year for a draft pick instead of letting them walk after the season.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I have a feeling the Cowboys are going to shock us somewhere in spending some money NOT on their own guys, i'm not focused on that in this comment. I can see them hearing the fan noise for all these years, it's time to make a big move to add talent. Now i'm also of the belief that we don't have to get a huge name, we can get more for our money and get really good players in here for the price of one big ticket name
Don’t think so but one can hope.

fivetwos

Reaction score
To be fair they tried to address defense in draft last year but1st rd pk Mazi was disappointment and LB Overshown was hurt early

Do we reinvest in this draft again or try and develop them?

And I think most would have liked to see invest in draft more at RB. And prob OL. LB will prob be another priority as well if Vander Esch is done. Another big loss last year.
No doubt.

But is it not fully clear that guys are either regressing, not developing further, or leaving for cap reasons much faster than they are being replaced?

I wouldn’t do a full rebuild just now though, not as if that’s a remote possibility. They are so in the middle it could go either way, but they may as well take one more shot with this group.

A large part of the problem is they truly think they are continuing to build and are close. That isn’t true, and the past few offseasons are going to show up on the field before long.

They pretty much need a 2005 type draft this year if they are to improve vs status quo, which is next to impossible to do when you’re picking late and have traded picks already.

The only solution is to be much more active in FA, and we will find out on sooner than later.

Big_D

Reaction score
you always find a way to take me out my zone, I was having a great day, you make me thank the RIGHT WAY, dang these Jones guys!!!
I thought the same things after the Packer loss, 3 12 win seasons in a row.. you would think a legitimate attempt to get over that hump would be coming?? Unfortunately this front office doesn’t instill any confidence at all. Even if they were to make a splash, it would probably be headscratchingly stupid like WR.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I thought the same things after the Packer loss, 3 12 win seasons in a row.. you would think a legitimate attempt to get over that hump would be coming?? Unfortunately this front office doesn’t instill any confidence at all. Even if they were to make a splash, it would probably headscratchingly stupid like WR.
they instill confidence and it trickles down to the starting QB who I heard a youtuber say he needs to just stop talking!!! He's taking up for Jerry and Stephen. They know how to sell everything to us to make us believe, and our players go and back them up saying the same thing. I'd say NO COMMENT, no COMMENT, force jerry's azz to start being accountable and make some sound moves

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I have no issues hanging onto the core, my issues are not taking the necessary moves to make the next leap. I am one who doesn’t brush off being a consistent playoff team and winning double digit games every year as nothing- it means something.

However, if the team isn’t going to make the proper additions and upgrades via free agency or through trade and be at least semi aggressive to capitalize on the here and now it’s just wasted.

It seems as if the front office and ownership believe that’s good enough and by “internal development “ and hoping draft picks step in immediately they will get there…..and we won’t

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No doubt.

But is it not fully clear that guys are either regressing, not developing further, or leaving for cap reasons much faster than they are being replaced?

I wouldn’t do a full rebuild just now though, not as if that’s a remote possibility. They are so in the middle it could go either way, but they may as well take one more shot with this group.

A large part of the problem is they truly think they are continuing to build and are close. That isn’t true, and the past few offseasons are going to show up on the field before long.

They pretty much need a 2005 type draft this year if they are to improve vs status quo, which is next to impossible to do when you’re picking late and have traded picks already.

The only solution is to be much more active in FA, and we will find out on sooner than later.
They aren’t expected to be active in FA. No marquee signings anyway.

Cmac

Reaction score
Hard Knocks is coming back to showcase this franchise, ......oops I mean for ratings.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Hard Knocks is coming back to showcase this franchise, ......oops I mean for ratings.
They're getting all the ratings they need by drawing this dak qb situation out when they're really going to cave and give him a billion dollar deal

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have no issues hanging onto the core, my issues are not taking the necessary moves to make the next leap. I am one who doesn’t brush off being a consistent playoff team and winning double digit games every year as nothing- it means something.

However, if the team isn’t going to make the proper additions and upgrades via free agency or through trade and be at least semi aggressive to capitalize on the here and now it’s just wasted.

It seems as if the front office and ownership believe that’s good enough and by “internal development “ and hoping draft picks step in immediately they will get there…..and we won’t
I’m a huge critic of our ownership and how this franchise is dysfunctionally ran.

That said I’m not sure I’d describe a perineal playoff team a total waste . No doubt it’s very frustrating and disappointing not having more success in the playoffs .

And while our QB and team are probably not enough for Super Bowl run doesn’t mean you scrap and start over .

Big_D

Reaction score
they instill confidence and it trickles down to the starting QB who I heard a youtuber say he needs to just stop talking!!! He's taking up for Jerry and Stephen. They know how to sell everything to us to make us believe, and our players go and back them up saying the same thing. I'd say NO COMMENT, no COMMENT, force jerry's azz to start being accountable and make some sound moves
Micah is the only one who says anything and it still does no good. Jerry’s stubborn. And we’ll see exactly how stubborn this offseason. Like I said in other threads. Watch the legit teams around the league being very active while this team once again does nothing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They aren’t expected to be active in FA. No marquee signings anyway.
That’s always the case.

Amazing how a team can take a decade and a half off of free agency and still have cap problems annually.

What can that mean besides that they continue to overrate their own players because they don’t know enough about the rest of the league like normal GMs.

75boyz

Reaction score
I thought the same things after the Packer loss, 3 12 win seasons in a row.. you would think a legitimate attempt to get over that hump would be coming?? Unfortunately this front office doesn’t instill any confidence at all. Even if they were to make a splash, it would probably be headscratchingly stupid like WR.
I mean, you're only as good as your last game, right?
Now consider the performance of the head coach and QB in the last GB playoff game...

Now again look at both their performances in previous playoff games as well.

Answer:
We need a HC and QB who don't suck at playoff football.

Those 2 positions performance determine playoff success while the rest of the team follows their lead.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They're getting all the ratings they need by drawing this dak qb situation out when they're really going to cave and give him a billion dollar deal
They of course don’t see it as “ caving”. Their intentions are to resign him. It’s all about negotiating. All teams basically cave in on their Franchise QB.

Big_D

Reaction score
I’m a huge critic of our ownership and how this franchise is dysfunctionally ran.

That said I’m not sure I’d describe a perineal playoff team a total waste . No doubt it’s very frustrating and disappointing not having more success in the playoffs .

And while our QB and team are probably not enough for Super Bowl run doesn’t mean you scrap and start over .
If they fail to capitalize, it’s a completely wasted opportunity. No one will care a decade down the line that they won 12 games 3 years in a row. That memory will instead be nothing but a monumental choke job.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s always the case.

Amazing how a team can take a decade and a half off of free agency and still have cap problems annually.

What can that mean besides that they continue to overrate their own players because they don’t know enough about the rest of the league like normal GMs.
The reason they do have Cap issues without high activity in FA is retaining stars too long and or over paying them.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Those listening to Stephen Jones lately may or may not agree with his idea to allow Dak another 3 years of what we've seen in the last playoff.

Here's hoping Jerry appeals to him to err on the side of reason and to avoid a contractual renewal that overpays him as haphazardly as before.
I would only hope Jerry makes it his intention to see to it that Dak and his agent aren't allowed to talk Stephen into something disastrous!! :flagwave:

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If they fail to capitalize, it’s a completely wasted opportunity. No one will care a decade down the line that they won 12 games 3 years in a row. That memory will instead be nothing but a monumental choke job.
In order to be a choke job you have to be continually upset . And genuinely a better team than the results delivered .

I’d argue we were upset last year but previous 2 seasons SF was definitely the better team.

This team has been over hyped . When that happens then the disappointment is much greater. Packers were playing great second half of season . We played poorly down the stretch.

I’d argue we weren’t a legit 2 seed last year . All season we were on target for 5th seed. And final month we were on the verge of losing 3 straight to playoff caliber teams .

If not for Egirls total collapse and Lions stupidity on 2 point play we would have been 5th seed which is probably more where we actually are.

Perception and perspective is vital to drawing rational evaluations . Many of us tried to warn all season we were being over hyped as blowing out losing teams provided us a false sense of security.