Dallas Cowboys: Why do experts favor Carson Wentz over Dak Prescott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Wentz doesn't have a Zeke type level of talent to be the primary focal point for opposing D's. I like Dak, but as a pure passer I would take Wentz wo the injury issues considered. Dak throws against 8 man boxes on a consistent basis with D's daring us to beat them; he starts on 3rd base basically by comparison.

Last edited:

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
One of the other points made is Dak’s contract and the salary cap. It puzzles me why fans would want Dak to make 40 million a year , but they do. Every dollar spent on Dak is less money that will be available for the rest of the team. There is no question that Dak is not the type of QB that can carry a team in his own. He needs a lot of help. Overpaying Dak may make them feel like Dak is a better QB than others in the league , but in reality Dak’s contract is much more likely to doom the team to sub-.500 seasons for the next 10 years.

With all due respect, show me one poster on this board that wants Dak to get 40 million a year. I am asking that as a good fan of Dak.

Do you really think what the fans want has anything to do with what he will get?

You know what, Dak fans see his improvement and abilities and wants him to just get better and better. Not like the others who want both him and the team to fail. That's what makes the difference between the two sides, not Dak's contract.

Nav22

Reaction score
There PAID by Dak's PR office and if it was up to them they would like to have Dak get 50 million a year.
Guess there's a bonus in it for them.
The Cowboys and there Cap health is something above there pay-grade.
Is English your 1st language? Because if it is...
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Nav22

Reaction score
Wentz doesn't have a Zeke type level of talent to be the primary focal point for opposing D's. I like Dak, but as a pure passer I would take Wentz wo the injury issues considered. Dak throws against 8 man boxes on a consistent basis with D's daring us to beat them; he starts on 3rd base basically by comparison.
Jordan Howard: 4.4 yds/rush
Miles Sanders: 4.5 yds/rush

Ezekiel Elliott: 4.5 yds/rush

Yeah, no.

When you constantly have to handicap the stats in order to favor 1 guy over the next, that should tell you something.

Wentz doesn’t perform on Dak’s level. Period.

And if Wentz was such a great passer, it would result in a better run game and a better football team.

Instead, he’s had ONE winning season in his career.

Instead, Dak’s outplayed him in every which way.

csirl

Reaction score
I know we all like to bury tramatic events deep in our memory banks so as to forget, and as much as I hate to say it.....Wentz was the starting QB and a key player on a SB winning team. Yes Foles finished the season, but without Wentz, they wouldnt have made the big game.

Pundita will always favor QBs who win SBs.

Froski

Reaction score

Why would you take wentz? What are his strengths over Dak, besides like....arm strength. Accuracy has been an issue for both so looking at it negatively, its a lose-lose scenario. This is mainly a question for the ones taking wentz over dak because Im genuinely curious.

Also there is a lot more that goes into beating 8 man boxes. Just because a team puts 8 in a box doesn't automatically mean you can beat them passing lol. Disguises, Blitzes and Coverages to name a few. It may look simple, but its not really.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you constantly have to handicap the stats in order to favor 1 guy over the next, that should tell you something.

Wentz doesn’t perform on Dak’s level. Period.

And if Wentz was such a great passer, it would result in a better run game and a better football team.

Instead, he’s had ONE winning season in his career.

Instead, Dak’s outplayed him in every which way.

Here you go bud and keep up the good work!!!

Yours truly.

Dak's PR Rep
Bob BS....

paycheckforwork.jpg

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think the reason experts favor Wentz over Dak is because they have seen what Wentz is capable of. The year the Eagles won the SB Wentz was tearing it up until he got hurt. I think Wentz would of at least taken that team to the NFC championship game the year Foles took over but we will really never know. Even his rookie season he was making incredible difficult throws that were being dropped because his WRs were awful.
Injuries have set Wentz back and I think his mechanics are off and he just hasnt really played the same since losing Frank Reich.
Dak is a QB that takes what the defense gives him because he knows his limitations and thats why his completion percentage is high. Wentz is a QB who is capable of challenging a defense and beating them but there are times where he doesnt know his limitations and should be checking down. Even though the Cowboys own the Eagles in the Dak vs Wentz saga its the Eagles who are capable of beating better teams than the Cowboys and the reason for that is when Wentz can stretch the defense more than Dak. The key to beating the Cowboys is shutting down Zeke. The key to beating the Eagles is shutting down Wentz.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the reason experts favor Wentz over Dak is because of they have seen what Wentz is capable of. The year the Eagles won the SB Wentz was tearing it up until he got hurt. I think Wentz would of at least taken that team to the NFC championship game the year Foles took over but we will really never know. Even his rookie season he was making incredible difficult throws that were being dropped because his WRs were awful.
Injuries have set Wentz back and I think his mechanics are off and he just hasnt really played the same since losing Frank Reich.
Dak is a QB that takes what the defense gives him because he knows his limitations and thats why his completion percentage is high. Wentz is a QB who is capable of challenging a defense and beating them but there are times where he doesnt know his limitations and should be checking down. Even though the Cowboys own the Eagles in the Dak vs Wentz saga its the Eagles who are capable of beating better teams than the Cowboys and the reason for that is when Wentz can stretch the defense more than Dak. The key to beating the Cowboys is shutting down Zeke. The key to beating the Eagles is shutting down Wentz.

Ask 32 GM's in the NFL including Jerry who they would prefer under center?

All 32 would answer....Wentz!

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Why would you take wentz? What are his strengths over Dak, besides like....arm strength. Accuracy has been an issue for both so looking at it negatively, its a lose-lose scenario. This is mainly a question for the ones taking wentz over dak because Im genuinely curious.

Also there is a lot more that goes into beating 8 man boxes. Just because a team puts 8 in a box doesn't automatically mean you can beat them passing lol. Disguises, Blitzes and Coverages to name a few. It may look simple, but its not really.
I would take Wentz with this team bc I think a passer with better arm strength/anticipation could take this O to the next level. The 8 man box point is just stating the fact all teams account for Zeke first bc he is the premier talent..he demands that respect week in and week out, etc.

Dak can make dime throws and then make throws that make you cringe but tbh he's improved greatly this year on these errant throws. But Wentz has proven fragile and Dak has imp enough passing wise where I would go with him now but still he's too gun shy at times. If I knew Wentz would nip that injury bud I would go with him. I do like everything else about Dak (tough, smart, leader) (10-12)Long winded way of saying better passer and higher ceiling:D

Last edited:

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Define experts. The same experts that said Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton Manning? I don't even think Wentz is better than Nick Foles, and he's been an injury prone average to above average QB depending on team talent for his entire career. The Eagles looked like a different team when he took over for Wentz last season. Now it's back to that team it was before he took over.

Precisely.

Wentz playoff games 0.
Dak playoff games 3.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

Wentz has better supporting cast overall.

Hence why his backup was able to outperform him en route to a super bowl win.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I think the reason experts favor Wentz over Dak is because they have seen what Wentz is capable of. The year the Eagles won the SB Wentz was tearing it up until he got hurt. I think Wentz would of at least taken that team to the NFC championship game the year Foles took over but we will really never know. Even his rookie season he was making incredible difficult throws that were being dropped because his WRs were awful.

Dak has better completion #s
More yards on deep throws
More yards per attempt
more deep passing TD

THAN WENTZ since they entered the league...

so how is it that one stretches the field when the other can’t?

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Certainly, Prescott feels that he will beat Wentz with his contract as he has bet on himself and has avoided the offers the Cowboys have floated. While it would be a personal win for Prescott, it would be a loss for the Dallas organization and fans of America’s Team as the Cowboys will have fewer resources than the Eagles to field a competitive roster.

Maybe it is for the best for Cowboys fans to cheer on the pundits to continue to put Wentz above Prescott. The continued messaging might be enough to give the Cowboys leverage to seek a fair but team friendly or strategically negotiated contract that allows the Cowboys to afford other really good football players.

NEXT: Dallas Cowboys - Midseason predictions and playoff cautionary tales
The remaining nine games will show which way the contract negotiation will swing. The Cowboys play three top-five defenses in the Patriots, Bills, and Vikings with fourth, the Bears, in the top-ten. If Prescott can run the gauntlet, he will have won his contract bet. Should he and the Cowboys falter, then Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones might win this contract negotiation but lose his Super Bowl window.

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/11/02/dallas-cowboys-favor-carson-wentz-dak-prescott/

L,

Froski

Reaction score
I would take Wentz with this team bc I think a passer with better arm strength/anticipation could take this O to the next level. The 8 man box point is just stating the fact all teams account for Zeke first bc he is the premier talent..he demands that respect week in and week out, etc.

Dak can make dime throws and then make throws that make you cringe but tbh he's improved greatly this year on these errant throws. But Wentz has proven fragile and Dak has imp enough passing wise where I would go with him now but still he's too gun shy at times. If I knew Wentz would nip that injury bud I would go with him. I do like everything else about Dak (tough, smart, leader) (10-12)Long winded way of saying better passer and higher ceiling:D
Fair enough.

Im completely neutral when it comes to this lol. Because they have both left me scratching my head over the years. Dak is our QB and him improving is a good for us lol

glimmerman

Reaction score
People that don’t like him will continue to not like him. Or favor wentz. When they play head to head who wins. Who has better stats, what’s the win loss record. Can’t really argue supporting cast when the egirls just won a SB.

I want a team friendly deal with Dak but make no mistake about it, JJ is signing him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The numerous folks that think of themselves as scouting "experts" are the same ones that scouted out Carson as a 1st round pick and Dak as a less talented 4th round pick. These "experts" don't ever like to admit they were wrong so they will continue to hang on to this narrative despite the growing evidence to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.