Dallas Cowboys: Why do experts favor Carson Wentz over Dak Prescott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The ONLY reason focusing on Zeke is the way to stop the Cowboys is because of the offensive playcalling. Cowboys insist on a run - heavy offense even when passing more is often the more effective path to victory. It's a self - fullfilling prophesy that will only get worse because now they have to justify Zeke's contract.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
One of the other points made is Dak’s contract and the salary cap. It puzzles me why fans would want Dak to make 40 million a year , but they do. Every dollar spent on Dak is less money that will be available for the rest of the team. There is no question that Dak is not the type of QB that can carry a team in his own. He needs a lot of help. Overpaying Dak may make them feel like Dak is a better QB than others in the league , but in reality Dak’s contract is much more likely to doom the team to sub-.500 seasons for the next 10 years.

Can Wentz "carry a team on his own." because whenever the Eagles lose it's everyone else's fault but his. Excuses are made that his team has injuries or the WR's aren't doing their job. Or that he doesn't have the correct pieces or supporting cast around him to win. That's how his rookie season was explained away, as some blamed it on him not having a good enough supporting cast or proper play calling.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak has better completion #s
More yards on deep throws
More yards per attempt
more deep passing TD

THAN WENTZ since they entered the league...

so how is it that one stretches the field when the other can’t?
Dak has yet to come close to matching Wentz best season in TDs, INTs and Yds
Wentz stretches the defense. You wont see defenses disrespect him by walking everyone up on defense to stop the run like they do with Dak. Now Dak has gotten better at making a defense pay for this.
Dak has better completion #s--- Because he checks down to his play makers.
More yards on deep throws --- those numbers come from yac not air yards
More yards per attempt--- see yac.
more deep passing TD---- there is a lot of yac plus this is because Zeke draws 8 men into the box and Dallas has more speed at WR. Did you ever wonder why Dak is so ineffecient in the redzone. The coverages are tighter and it requires more accuracy and velocity to get the ball in.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Wentz doesn't have a Zeke type level of talent to be the primary focal point for opposing D's. I like Dak, but as a pure passer I would take Wentz wo the injury issues considered. Dak throws against 8 man boxes on a consistent basis with D's daring us to beat them; he starts on 3rd base basically by comparison.

Wentz is 1-13 when the Eagles can't rush for over 100 yards, had the top 5 rushing offense in 2017 when they won the Superbowl and struggled the following season when they didn't have it. Also there was some stat in how the Eagles do better and win more when Wentz throws for less than 300 yards, so they do better with Wentz when they have a successful running game and don't have to solely or mainly rely on his arms.

The assumption that Wentz doesn't need a running game as much is false.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
1. New York media market with Philly in close proximity.

2. They can't come to grips with the #1 pick in the draft being nothing more than mediocre at best.

3. Thinking that no way could a 4th Rd pick be better than the #1 pick in the draft............especially to a bitter divisional rival.

4. So the name "experts" can be removed...........if they truly are "experts" they would be able to see and admit Dak is not only better but by a considerable margin.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Dak has yet to come close to matching Wentz best season in TDs, INTs and Yds
Wentz stretches the defense. You wont see defenses disrespect him by walking everyone up on defense to stop the run like they do with Dak. Now Dak has gotten better at making a defense pay for this.

Dak has better completion #s--- Because he checks down to his play makers.
More yards on deep throws --- those numbers come from yac not air yards
More yards per attempt--- see yac.
more deep passing TD---- there is a lot of yac plus this is because Zeke draws 8 men into the box and Dallas has more speed at WR. Did you ever wonder why Dak is so ineffecient in the redzone. The coverages are tighter and it requires more accuracy and velocity to get the ball in.

Let's take away YAC yards and checkdown throws from Wentz too. Yet another false assumption that Wentz doesn't checkdown that much or that Dak checks down the ball a lot more compared to Wentz and other QB's.

Anyone can watch an Eagles game and see how many times that Wentz checks it down. But, no one is going to go through his games and take away the YAC yards from his passing yard stats, like they do with Dak, because of the bias against Dak.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry made a deal with the devil in 1995 to win that Superbowl as the Niners fell to the Packers.....
Dak is Jerrys Anti-Christ and once signed will have sealed the deal as Jerry will go to the ranch in the Sky without living another Superbowl win.

P.S. Concerning Wentz over Dak if you opened your eyes without them personal/Fan filters you would agree with the experts!

And the obsessive hate continues.

Jerry's deal with the devil is done, the time limit ran out. So now enter Dak to get back to winning SB's and the only deal needed is his new contract.
You won't like, so live with it. I would bet my house that you rather we lose as long as Dak is here, than to win a SB.

But win a SB with Dak you still will say it wasn't him that help win it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I have no idea which QB would perform better because we judge them by the offenses they run, the plays called for them, the field position their defense affords them. Why can’t they both be very good young QBs still improving?

I will say this. There are very few franchise QBs in the NFL, and any team without one, along with many teams that brought one in that’s been unsuccessful, would all line up to sign Dak if he were free. If anyone wants to deny that fact and continue the false line that “Dak sucks” cannot be taken seriously.

The same fans that think our head coach and offense is terrible and want the whole staff fired and replaced actually think Wentz would be more successful in Dallas than Dak would be in Philly where he’d have a “genius” head coach and play caller? Imagine Dak playing in that offense of pick plays, crossing routes, a huge receiver like Alshon and those two star TEs. Then imagine Wentz playing two years with the receivers Dak had early in his career and today with Witten as his only TE.

Sorry, but you can’t have it both ways to always blame everything on coaches, play-calling, and the offense, yet also think another QB would make the difference. That argument is when you see a fan’s ulterior motive.

Dak and Wentz are both young franchise QBs who can win games. More than half the teams in the NFL would love to have either one.

Scotman

Reaction score
Why?

Because Wentz has a better pedigree. He has better arm strength. He as considered much more accurate coming out of college. Physically he is a tall dude who can also move well. He came into the league with a history of being able to take a snap from under center. He has always looked like he was going to be successful at this level.

The only thing Dak is better at so far is playing football.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I have no idea which QB would perform better because we judge them by the offenses they run, the plays called for them, the field position their defense affords them. Why can’t they both be very good young QBs still improving?

I will say this. There are very few franchise QBs in the NFL, and any team without one, along with many teams that brought one in that’s been unsuccessful, would all line up to sign Dak if he were free. If anyone wants to deny that fact and continue the false line that “Dak sucks” cannot be taken seriously.

The same fans that think our head coach and offense is terrible and want the whole staff fired and replaced actually think Wentz would be more successful in Dallas than Dak would be in Philly where he’d have a “genius” head coach and play caller? Imagine Dak playing in that offense of pick plays, crossing routes, a huge receiver like Alshon and those two star TEs. Then imagine Wentz playing two years with the receivers Dak had early in his career and today with Witten as his only TE.

Sorry, but you can’t have it both ways to always blame everything on coaches, play-calling, and the offense, yet also think another QB would make the difference. That argument is when you see a fan’s ulterior motive.

Dak and Wentz are both young franchise QBs who can win games. More than half the teams in the NFL would love to have either one.

But, I bet due to Wentz' high draft position and because he is viewed as a elite QB, he would be given a break and more patience would be given to him compared to Dak. As the head coaching and supporting cast would be blamed. And there would be a lot of "What do you expect Wentz to do with this coaching and lack of a talented supporting cast." talking points. In the same way that there are "How do you expect Wentz to be successful with his best players injured." talking points to explain away some of the losses that Wentz has had this season, despite the narrative that he is able to carry a team to victory without top tier weapons or as much help that they say Dak needs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because Wentz looks the part. He’s the prototype. Big arm, mobile, blue eyes, humble big..........he’s been living off that MVP season for a long time. He’s safe. I don’t think Wentz is bad but based on where he was drafted and what was given up to get him? He’s been a bust thus far. RgIII has that bust label by his year 4........Wentz just looks the part. He’s the best Aaron Rodgers......please.

I sat here and watched Lamar Jackson get destroyed prior to the draft while they boosted up inferior players. And who’s standing above them all in year 2? The running back who can’t throw. These experts are feeling themselves. They did the same thing to Cam Newton too.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The ONLY reason focusing on Zeke is the way to stop the Cowboys is because of the offensive playcalling. Cowboys insist on a run - heavy offense even when passing more is often the more effective path to victory. It's a self - fullfilling prophesy that will only get worse because now they have to justify Zeke's contract.
Very true
Wentz gets to throw on 1st downs and pass when under center, etc. Dak is hindered by not using enough PA and the predictable 1st down up the gut play calling. Instead of setting the tone for 2-3 yards the "tough way" how about we scheme open Gallup/Amari to get the ball rolling.

JayFord

Reaction score
Clicks and views equal money

you get more views bashing Dallas......

JBS

Reaction score
You guys fall in love with arm talent..when is reality there are much more important traits necessary for a qb to be successful...unfortunately, some of yall have no idea what you are watching when it comes to this sport

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry made a deal with the devil in 1995 to win that Superbowl as the Niners fell to the Packers.....
Dak is Jerrys Anti-Christ and once signed will have sealed the deal as Jerry will go to the ranch in the Sky without living another Superbowl win.

P.S. Concerning Wentz over Dak if you opened your eyes without them personal/Fan filters you would agree with the experts!
Talk about mentally challenged football fans

HungryLion

Reaction score
Because while Dak could be more successful and the more effective QB , Wentz is a more prolific passer with greater talent in their eyes.

Many experts see Dak is benefiting from a star studded cast surrounding him and Wentz is needing to carry or elevate his supporting cast.

Here’s a scenario I’ve heard used. Who do you think would do better if they switched teams. Dak with the Egirls or Wentz with the Boys?

“Profilic passer” seems to be your favorite buzz word, that has no actual meaning.

I could understand using that term for guys like Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, Mahomes. But I don’t understand you using it for Wentz? What about Wentz passing is more “prolific” than Dak? He has a stronger arm? That’s the only thing I could see. Wentz is actually less accurate than Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
“Profilic passer” seems to be your favorite buzz word, that has no actual meaning.

I could understand using that term for guys like Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, Mahomes. But I don’t understand you using it for Wentz? What about Wentz passing is more “prolific” than Dak? He has a stronger arm? That’s the only thing I could see. Wentz is actually less accurate than Dak.
If prolific is dumping to your running back and tight end all game then yeah he’s the more prolific passer. I laugh at Dak getting the reputation of dinking and dunking bell because that’s where most of Wentz yards came from.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I think most fans understand the term prolific passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.