News: Dallas Cowboys: Why Michael Gallup will have a breakout year

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Why Michael Gallup will have a breakout year
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/22/dallas-cowboys-michael-gallup-breakout-year/

...From Week Eight to Week Thirteen the Colorado State product had multiple receptions in all but one game, totaling 17 catches in six games. In the final two weeks of the regular season, Gallup had six catches for 103 yards and scored one of his two touchdowns on the year. The most impressive thing about his rookie season may be the production he posted in the playoffs against the Los Angeles Rams. Gallup had his best game stat-wise of the season, recording six catches for 119 yards, leading all players in the game in receiving yards..

If healthy, Cobb can be just as productive if not more so than Beasley was, and has much more versatility. He can lineup anywhere on the field, which with Beasley was not the case.

Cooper and Cobb are the two big-name receivers on the Cowboys roster this season, but I believe second-year man Michael Gallup is going to have a breakout year. In his rookie season Gallup had a solid campaign. He caught 33 balls for 507 yards, two touchdowns and a 15.36 yards per reception average...

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The fantasy football “experts” have been all over Gallup this offseason as a sleeper due to his number of targets and those near misses with Dak. They get that fixed, and he’s a top 20 receiver, not to mention the scoring that would add to the Cowboys’ offense.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
The fantasy football “experts” have been all over Gallup this offseason as a sleeper due to his number of targets and those near misses with Dak. They get that fixed, and he’s a top 20 receiver, not to mention the scoring that would add to the Cowboys’ offense.

Agreed. I will admit that I am a CSU grad and a homer. But it was well known that Gallup was high on their list. They attended his pro day and then invited him to one of their limited private workouts. I almost did a cartwheel when they drafted him. I probably would have broken the furniture or something else in my body.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/22/dallas-cowboys-michael-gallup-breakout-year/

...From Week Eight to Week Thirteen the Colorado State product had multiple receptions in all but one game, totaling 17 catches in six games. In the final two weeks of the regular season, Gallup had six catches for 103 yards and scored one of his two touchdowns on the year. The most impressive thing about his rookie season may be the production he posted in the playoffs against the Los Angeles Rams. Gallup had his best game stat-wise of the season, recording six catches for 119 yards, leading all players in the game in receiving yards..

If healthy, Cobb can be just as productive if not more so than Beasley was, and has much more versatility. He can lineup anywhere on the field, which with Beasley was not the case.

Cooper and Cobb are the two big-name receivers on the Cowboys roster this season, but I believe second-year man Michael Gallup is going to have a breakout year. In his rookie season Gallup had a solid campaign. He caught 33 balls for 507 yards, two touchdowns and a 15.36 yards per reception average...

I don't think Gallup is a lock to start, and Cobb isn't a lock to even make the team. We've got a lot of contenders for spots. Particularly for Cobb in the slot. Hurns. Pollard. Austin. Wilson. Cobb doesn't do anything great the others can't do. If you need to move the chains out of the slot, Hurns or Wilson. On 1st and 2nd, Pollard and Austin complement the run game.

For Gallup, I wouldn't be shocked if one of the faster guys took his place in the base. Smith was an early 2nd pick, and we have him for nothing for 2 years. Though he was a dud with the Jets, he could have something. Or a speed demon to really back off the defense, and leave more room for Zeke.

TheStarInFLA

Reaction score
If Gallup performs (fingers crossed) they way we would like could someone explain how this would be better than Terrence Williams? To my untrained and undereducated fan brain (I learn a lot here), Terrence used to make some spectacular catches that have helped us win big games. I’m talking tippy toe circus catches. Like Beasley I saw a homer who got on the field and moved the chains. So if Gallup becomes good wont he be just like TW?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think Gallup is a lock to start, and Cobb isn't a lock to even make the team. We've got a lot of contenders for spots. Particularly for Cobb in the slot. Hurns. Pollard. Austin. Wilson. Cobb doesn't do anything great the others can't do. If you need to move the chains out of the slot, Hurns or Wilson. On 1st and 2nd, Pollard and Austin complement the run game.

For Gallup, I wouldn't be shocked if one of the faster guys took his place in the base. Smith was an early 2nd pick, and we have him for nothing for 2 years. Though he was a dud with the Jets, he could have something. Or a speed demon to really back off the defense, and leave more room for Zeke.
Yeah I think you are off base here. Gallup is our starter. No way he loses his spot. Cobb.....if he sucks he can lose it but he’s going to get every opportunity to start and I don’t see him losing his job.

Aven8

Reaction score
Yeah I think you are off base here. Gallup is our starter. No way he loses his spot. Cobb.....if he sucks he can lose it but he’s going to get every opportunity to start and I don’t see him losing his job.

Yeah I don’t get it either. Gallup is the future and is only going to get better. Amazing that we have retooled already with he and Coop.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I respectfully but totally disagree with these assessments.

Cooper
Gallup
Cobb

They're this team's top three receivers. The only thing that might change that is injury. As for Hurns? There's no bigger cut candidate right now the him. The rest of the guys will fight for the three spots behind Cobb.

CCBoy

Reaction score

The size and speed element has definitely risen up since last season. There should be more pushing down the field and better action at the Red Zone this year. Myself, I have to project with the experience of prior Veteran producers.

I agree also, that receiving skills have improved as well...and am a bit anxious to see Gallup pick up from where he was at the end of last season. Cobb will help, as will the running back additions, Elliott, and Austin. Then there is Jason Witten back as well, and in better shape now.

Aven8

Reaction score
Yeah. That overhaul happened almost overnight.

Dez, Williams, Beasley out. Gallup, Cooper, Cobb in.

Love the speed. Plus precision route running. As I stated numerous times last year I had no clue Coop was this good. Best route runner I’ve seen in a long time. Kid could be a top WR in all of football if we threw it enough.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I like the kid, but what is a breakout year? Cooper, Zeke, Witten............Those 3 are definitely going to get more catches. He will probably catch 2 to 3 balls a game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Love the speed. Plus precision route running. As I stated numerous times last year I had no clue Coop was this good. Best route runner I’ve seen in a long time. Kid could be a top WR in all of football if we threw it enough.

He was certainly an impressive rookie. Like you, I was impressed with his route running. And between playing with Cooper an Cobb, and learning technique work from Sanjay Lal, I expect him to only get better. If he and Dak can fix the timing issues from last year, his ceiling should be quite high.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to agree with this....I think he has a great year as well.

If he does, he helps take this entire offense to the next level.

They will truly present a 'pick your poison' dilemma to any defense they face. Top level weapons everywhere, from the offensive line, to the running back, to the TE, to the wide receivers all over the field.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is going into his FIFTH year and has yet to prove to be a 1200 yard receiver. Never in the salary cap era has a top 5 salaried (potentially) WR failed to accrue 1200 yards in any single season. Shocking stat.

So if the offense is going to take flight like everyone predicted, Gallup will have to step up big time.