News: Dallas Cowboys: Why Michael Gallup will have a breakout year

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The variable factors of a new OC and the additions of Cobb and Pollard might affect the number of targets as well as the return of Witten, the comfort blanket for a QB under pressure. If that same offense had been kept in place, I do think he takes a step but I am not sure how a "breakout year" is defined.

I think the DC's will be more conscious of Cooper and if you know his history, they made him disappear at times in OAK in a pass attack. Could either open up more targets for Gallup or other receivers and a lot of this is dependent on how well the OL protects Dak as that will affect Moore's selection of plays to call. And if they can run more play action and RPO, that could really open it up for Gallup. He runs some really nice routes and gets open, the rest is up to the QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amari Cooper is going into his FIFTH year and has yet to prove to be a 1200 yard receiver. Never in the salary cap era has a top 5 salaried (potentially) WR failed to accrue 1200 yards in any single season. Shocking stat.

So if the offense is going to take flight like everyone predicted, Gallup will have to step up big time.

Scotman

Reaction score
I think Gallup is going to be a star in this league. He made some rookie mistakes, but still put together an encouraging year. Enough speed. Good size. Takes route running seriously. Isn't a diva. He appears to have incredible fortitude. Don't forget, last year he found out on a Sunday after the game his brother had passed away...and he was able to play the next Thursday. Cooper went off that game to the tune of 180 yards or something. I think Gallup had 2 for 20. Gallup got the game ball with Copper's full support.

This is a terrific. and rare, receiving core. Not a selfish person in the group as far as I can see. Gallup will benefit from it, is at the heart of it. I don't know when I've been more encouraged by our receiving group as a whole.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think Gallup is going to be a star in this league. He made some rookie mistakes, but still put together an encouraging year. Enough speed. Good size. Takes route running seriously. Isn't a diva. He appears to have incredible fortitude. Don't forget, last year he found out on a Sunday after the game his brother had passed away...and he was able to play the next Thursday. Cooper went off that game to the tune of 180 yards or something. I think Gallup had 2 for 20. Gallup got the game ball with Copper's full support.

This is a terrific. and rare, receiving core. Not a selfish person in the group as far as I can see. Gallup will benefit from it, is at the heart of it. I don't know when I've been more encouraged by our receiving group as a whole.

The Cowboys have a really strong group of 'skills players,' now on offense...I agree.:starspin:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Why? he is a very impressive receiver. His college tape was very good showing the ability to run the entire route tree & to catch every type of pass. Over the shoulder, back shoulder\jump ball, knee high, behind him, etc.. The only question was how would he adjust to higher level of competition. He showed that he did last year as he was winning a nice % of his routes & steadily improved as the year progressed. He has all the tools to be a very successful receiver in this league. Will he get the volume to be recognized by the masses for his talents? Who knows. But he will likely play a very key role in whatever success this team has.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why? he is a very impressive receiver. His college tape was very good showing the ability to run the entire route tree & to catch every type of pass. Over the shoulder, back shoulder\jump ball, knee high, behind him, etc.. The only question was how would he adjust to higher level of competition. He showed that he did last year as he was winning a nice % of his routes & steadily improved as the year progressed. He has all the tools to be a very successful receiver in this league. Will he get the volume to be recognized by the masses for his talents? Who knows. But he will likely play a very key role in whatever success this team has.

Nice posting, guy...:)

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If Gallup performs (fingers crossed) they way we would like could someone explain how this would be better than Terrence Williams? To my untrained and undereducated fan brain (I learn a lot here), Terrence used to make some spectacular catches that have helped us win big games. I’m talking tippy toe circus catches. Like Beasley I saw a homer who got on the field and moved the chains. So if Gallup becomes good wont he be just like TW?

Hello Star. Good question. For as much as TWill was maligned, you are right, he made a lot of clutch plays that get overlooked.

IMO the difference is that TWill was more of a complimentary receiver and opportunist. In other words he was a good #3 \ #4 receiver. He needed other "threats" to isolate him against favorable defenders & coverages. By opportunist, I mean that quite a few of his bigger plays came when the play had broken down & the defenses lost track of him & Tony found him.

MG appears to be a very solid #2 with his ceiling still undetermined. He can beat a defender by himself. ie, he is a "threat" that can defeat good defense & also open up opportunities for his teammates.

Personally, i think he & Coop could make for very favorable opportunities for our other receivers. I am particularly intrigued to see what Cedrick Wilson might do with some of those TWill opportunities.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hello Star. Good question. For as much as TWill was maligned, you are right, he made a lot of clutch plays that get overlooked.

IMO the difference is that TWill was more of a complimentary receiver and opportunist. In other words he was a good #3 \ #4 receiver. He needed other "threats" to isolate him against favorable defenders & coverages. By opportunist, I mean that quite a few of his bigger plays came when the play had broken down & the defenses lost track of him & Tony found him.

MG appears to be a very solid #2 with his ceiling still undetermined. He can beat a defender by himself. ie, he is a "threat" that can defeat good defense & also open up opportunities for his teammates.

Personally, i think he & Coop could make for very favorable opportunities for our other receivers. I am particularly intrigued to see what Cedrick Wilson might do with some of those TWill opportunities.

Nice having you around here...stay with us now, and through Camp.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. That overhaul happened almost overnight.

Dez, Williams, Beasley out. Gallup, Cooper, Cobb in.

This is almost like night and day. 2nd 3 are so much better than the 1st 3. And I was even a Dez fan, but his time had passed.
So much upside to with the WR's we have now.
I still like Hurns, but with his contract and with Brown that they still like, and if Wilson can be what everyone says he is. Though I need to see it. And with Austin, and some young guys like Guyton or if Reggie Smith has overcome his injuries. A combination of them can push Hurns off the roster easily.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is almost like night and day. 2nd 3 are so much better than the 1st 3. And I was even a Dez fan, but his time had passed.
So much upside to with the WR's we have now.
I still like Hurns, but with his contract and with Brown that they still like, and if Wilson can be what everyone says he is. Though I need to see it. And with Austin, and some young guys like Guyton or if Reggie Smith has overcome his injuries. A combination of them can push Hurns off the roster easily.

Devin Smith, but I know who you meant. ;)

I don't think the numbers at the WR group are getting talked about quite enough. This team is loaded at that spot. Between 1st round picks in Tavon Austin and 2nd round picks like Devin Smith, and a veteran like Hurns, there will be very talented players who won't be even make this roster.

And they're already talking up Jon'vea Johnson and Jaylen Guyton as undrafted steals as well.

A really tough numbers games happening at wide receiver, even if they ultimately keep six.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
If Gallup performs (fingers crossed) they way we would like could someone explain how this would be better than Terrence Williams? To my untrained and undereducated fan brain (I learn a lot here), Terrence used to make some spectacular catches that have helped us win big games. I’m talking tippy toe circus catches. Like Beasley I saw a homer who got on the field and moved the chains. So if Gallup becomes good wont he be just like TW?

You have fonder memories of TW than I. His best attribute was that he was a decent sandlot player that could help Romo extend some plays. But he never was a fit for Dak. Dak needs guys that gain early separation with their route running. Gallup can be that guy. (Cooper is already that guy.) TW could never be that guy.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Gallup could have had a breakout season last year if Dak played better. It's really up to the QB if any of our WRs has a great season. But I see his potential through the roof.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Devin Smith, but I know who you meant. ;)

I don't think the numbers at the WR group are getting talked about quite enough. This team is loaded at that spot. Between 1st round picks in Tavon Austin and 2nd round picks like Devin Smith, and a veteran like Hurns, there will be very talented players who won't be even make this roster.

And they're already talking up Jon'vea Johnson and Jaylen Guyton as undrafted steals as well.

A really tough numbers games happening at wide receiver, even if they ultimately keep six.

Yes, Devin Smith, thanks. But he was a productive player at Ohio State, but injuries set him back in the NFL. He is one of the players I want to see in TC.
The Reggie, is Reggie Davis, who also has some speed. And showed a few things in TC last year.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't think the numbers at the WR group are getting talked about quite enough
Couldn't agree more & I honestly haven't even studied the back end of the depth chart that much.

I'm hoping this might be the year that we have so much excess talent at some of these positions that we can trade some rather than just cut as preseason winds down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couldn't agree more & I honestly haven't even studied the back end of the depth chart that much.

I'm hoping this might be the year that we have so much excess talent at some of these positions that we can trade some rather than just cut as preseason winds down.

I'd love for that to be the case, but I'm not sure how much - if any - trade value some guys might have. Austin was a free agent and didn't seem to find much interest, quickly resigning with Dallas. I'm glad for that, because I see him as a real weapon, but it shows the league disagrees with me. As for Hurns? Not a team in the league would touch his current contract, and neither should we.

I consider three guys as locks - Cooper, Gallup, and Cobb, and after that? I see about six or seven guys in Austin, Hurns, Brown, Johnson, Guyton, and Devin Smith fighting it out for the other three spots (as I feel they keep six).

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes, Devin Smith, thanks. But he was a productive player at Ohio State, but injuries set him back in the NFL. He is one of the players I want to see in TC.
The Reggie, is Reggie Davis, who also has some speed. And showed a few things in TC last year.

My policy when posting...when a player on thread is first mentioned on OP, I use both first and last names. Afterwards, I can be briefer.

Yea, I often have to look up the roster...but, I do the process.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You have fonder memories of TW than I. His best attribute was that he was a decent sandlot player that could help Romo extend some plays. But he never was a fit for Dak. Dak needs guys that gain early separation with their route running. Gallup can be that guy. (Cooper is already that guy.) TW could never be that guy.

Quite an offensive special skills year!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My policy when posting...when a player on thread is first mentioned on OP, I use both first and last names. Afterwards, I can be briefer.

Yea, I often have to look up the roster...but, I do the process.

I usually do, but was sidetracked when I was posting.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't think Gallup is a lock to start, and Cobb isn't a lock to even make the team. We've got a lot of contenders for spots. Particularly for Cobb in the slot. Hurns. Pollard. Austin. Wilson. Cobb doesn't do anything great the others can't do. If you need to move the chains out of the slot, Hurns or Wilson. On 1st and 2nd, Pollard and Austin complement the run game.

For Gallup, I wouldn't be shocked if one of the faster guys took his place in the base. Smith was an early 2nd pick, and we have him for nothing for 2 years. Though he was a dud with the Jets, he could have something. Or a speed demon to really back off the defense, and leave more room for Zeke.
Not sure what depth chart your looking at, but mine says Gallup is already entrenched as the starter with Coop at wide.
Who else you got there...
Hurns
Lenoir
Wilson
Smith
Brown is going to get cut
Cobb and the rest are all slot bait.
?