News: Dallas Cowboys will limit stadium capacity to start 2020 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't see low capacity attendance being an advantage, but is it in the commissioners power to do anything about it? Or does he have to get the usual 75% owners vote? I'm not sure what can and cannot be done.
How could we not see 25-50% attendance as not only a competitive edge but also a financial one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How could we not see 25-50% attendance as not only a competitive edge but also a financial one.
That is fact but the risk they run is a contact tracing back to the stadium, if an outbreak takes place. The other owners that did not put butts in the stands look a lot better than this owner does and how that looks for the NFL. Yes, bring us entertainment but minimize the risk. And that could have been done by not having that many people gathered together.

It is not the risk to the people that want to go, they are taking on that risk. It is the people they may encounter that didn't agree to take that risk. I don't care what happens to people that take the risk, that's their business but when did it become a right to put others at risk, when that can be prevented? There are necessary risks in our everyday lives, going to a football game isn't a necessary risk, it's an elective risk.

I think this is very poor judgment on Booger's part but I do not put it all on the money motive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is fact but the risk they run is a contact tracing back to the stadium, if an outbreak takes place. The other owners that did not put butts in the stands look a lot better than this owner does and how that looks for the NFL. Yes, bring us entertainment but minimize the risk. And that could have been done by not having that many people gathered together.

It is not the risk to the people that want to go, they are taking on that risk. It is the people they may encounter that didn't agree to take that risk. I don't care what happens to people that take the risk, that's their business but when did it become a right to put others at risk, when that can be prevented? There are necessary risks in our everyday lives, going to a football game isn't a necessary risk, it's an elective risk.

I think this is very poor judgment on Booger's part but I do not put it all on the money motive.
Yep

If only we could get Jerry to mingle among the crowd while everyone is eating and drinking. Lol

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys will limit stadium capacity to start 2020 season

The Dallas Cowboys will allow fans into AT&T Stadium for the start of the 2020 season, but seating will be limited, the organization announced in its Safe Stadium Policy on Thursday.

Read Full Story

This is all fine and good but with some of the college divisions cancelling the fall sports and some of the NFL teams not allowing fans for the first few home games the owners said when the training camps opened that they will address that as a league by the 3rd week in August. If the league decides as a league wide safety measure not to have fans to start the season just like they setup the safety measures for training camp for all teams, the Cowboys will have to go along with that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Death Star as some have called Jerryworld might take on a new meaning this season.

A new type of Drama for us to watch unfold. Especially as the Fall and Winter intensifies this event.

This could redefine “Die” hards.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is all fine and good but with some of the college divisions cancelling the fall sports and some of the NFL teams not allowing fans for the first few home games the owners said when the training camps opened that they will address that as a league by the 3rd week in August. If the league decides as a league wide safety measure not to have fans to start the season just like they setup the safety measures for training camp for all teams, the Cowboys will have to go along with that.

Good question !
NFL has clearly spelled it out depending on local jurisdictions.

“This doesn't mean every NFL team will be allowed to have fans in the stands, as evidenced by both the New York Giants and New York Jets having announced a ban on fans at MetLife Stadium until 2021. “

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score

A financial one, yes. A competitive one? I'm not so sure. Did you go to any of the 1987 replacement games? I went to them. Not that many fans and crowd noise was a non factor. And as far as financial gain, that's not something the NFL needs to moderate. That's governed by the laws of each state.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think they are leaving that up to the governors and mayors of the venue sites. There doesn't seem to be any way to have continuity across all of the states with teams.
That’s exactly how it’s being determined. NFL is letting local jurisdictions rule. They are mandating mask for entering which tells me they could mandate no attendance much like MLB has.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A financial one, yes. A competitive one? I'm not so sure. Did you go to any of the 1987 replacement games? I went to them. Not that many fans and crowd noise was a non factor. And as far as financial gain, that's not something the NFL needs to moderate. That's governed by the laws of each state.
If you don’t believe 25-50% occupancy of fans is greater than Zero than we’ll just have to disagree.

And the NFL could mandate attendance much like MLB has.

Flamma

Reaction score
If you don’t believe 25-50% occupancy of fans is greater than Zero than we’ll just have to disagree.

And the NFL could mandate attendance much like MLB has.

I do believe it is greater than zero. Because it is. That doesn't mean it has any significant impact. 25% to 50% fans isn't giving teams any advantage. They're just not loud enough.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Good question !
NFL has clearly spelled it out depending on local jurisdictions.

“This doesn't mean every NFL team will be allowed to have fans in the stands, as evidenced by both the New York Giants and New York Jets having announced a ban on fans at MetLife Stadium until 2021. “

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl

The packers have banned them for the 1st two games and may cancel them for the season. The rams and chargers have also cancelled their fans too.

reddyuta

Reaction score
feels like a bad idea,why expose the teams to 50,000 fans,at least some of them will be asymptomatic virus carriers.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

The NFL makes all sorts of rules. Some permanent, some temporary like all the rules they made for how training camps will be. They did that irregardless of what local or state laws are. If the league says as a league there will be no fans allowed at games, that is what each team will have to do. It's no different than national companies that set a limit on the number of customers that can be in their business at any given time. A state may say that businesses are open for business but no business has had any push back from a state when they limit the number of customers or even if they only do curbside business. Gee both MLB and the NBA are operating without live fans.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The packers have banned them for the 1st two games and may cancel them for the season. The rams and chargers have also cancelled their fans too.
Yea , not sure why the NFL doesn’t mandate no fans at any location? It’s definitely not an even playing field.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do believe it is greater than zero. Because it is. That doesn't mean it has any significant impact. 25% to 50% fans isn't giving teams any advantage. They're just not loud enough.
I’m not sure how we can argue tens of thousands of fans will not be an advantage over none. However slight it could be.

I go to high school games all the time and 5-10 thousand fans is definitely an advantage over a few hundred on the other side.

25-40 thousand fans will still be a welcomed site compared to none. And could definitely provide some enthusiasm and momentum.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
And when people stand in line in the bathroom and use the bathroom facilities, how will social distancing be enforced?
Isn't that the truth. This franchise shouldn't allow fans in the stadium. Follow MLB's policy.

Nice seeing you again.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yea , not sure why the NFL doesn’t mandate no fans at any location? It’s definitely not an even playing field.

This is just my thinking but I think goodell wanted to see how many teams were going to do it on their own and then wait until the last minute and go by the recommendations of their medical people and the CDC and then push that to the owners in their digital meeting in about 8 days. With the second wave and daily spikes my guess will be no fans at least from the CDC.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yah, they are already out and about but they didn’t just come from a football game with crowds and bathrooms without social distancing. It’s not about paranoia or your rights; it’s a virus that’s killed over 160,000 people already. You’re so worried about paranoia ruining your life ? Think getting Covid-19 might ruin your day ? What is so friggin complicated ? Man, do people try to be purposely dense about this.

What percentage of the population is 170000?

Flamma

Reaction score
The NFL makes all sorts of rules. Some permanent, some temporary like all the rules they made for how training camps will be. They did that irregardless of what local or state laws are. If the league says as a league there will be no fans allowed at games, that is what each team will have to do. It's no different than national companies that set a limit on the number of customers that can be in their business at any given time. A state may say that businesses are open for business but no business has had any push back from a state when they limit the number of customers or even if they only do curbside business. Gee both MLB and the NBA are operating without live fans.

Of course they can have no fans if they wanted to. I was just wondering how they come to that conclusion?

blueblood70

Reaction score
What percentage of the population is 170000?
not many i know it sounds callous but both flu strains together kill that many in the same risk category each year WITH A VACCINE only 50% of the us population opt into, odd its kills you and you decide NOT to get vaccinated. Oh BTW people with vaccines still die..

if 170k were in chart which ive seen its a tiny red dot you need a magnifying glass to see..

those trying to force their ideals and values on others using the same information we have is ridiculous, we who might agree with having sports back and letting fans choose are not the ones making the decsions, so stop attacking us with your opinions..
have you been to a Walmart, total wine, home depot Lowes, or restaurants lately? umm they are what id call at full capacity, no parking etc road ways are back to normal, people are out Movies and others things opening back up, just dont do it if you dont like it but normalcy is coming back slowly but surely and this virus will be around forever , we will overcome it like the others..

we all have the choice and it will be personal one for all, you cant yell loud enough or make statements that will change that..

Status
Not open for further replies.