Dallas FA signings need fixing

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he was with the team, they already knew what they had and were likely to get. That is completely different from the other players they signed. Otherwise maybe you should praise them for signing Williams back as some move of genius? Signing back your own requires zero effort and the evaluation of talent is minimal since you already have worked with the player.

And yet, amazingly, it's what they got exactly wrong.

Carr and Claiborne were here for years, yet they somehow chose Carroll?

McClain also here, and yet they chose both Thornton and Paea instead.

Not only couldn't they judge players on the outside, they couldn't judge the players already in the building.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Campbell is a good player but damn that's a lot of jack. If he gets that wouldn't Lawrence command more than that?
Lawrence is only 25.

Campbell has been good for a much longer period of time but I still think at his current pace Lawrence might get more.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
nUmC6UL.png

I like Calais. I forsee him playing another 3-4 years kinda like Julius Peppers, speaking of which Peppers still killing it. Wow

jjktkk

Reaction score
And yet, amazingly, it's what they got exactly wrong.

Carr and Claiborne were here for years, yet they somehow chose Carroll?

McClain also here, and yet they chose both Thornton and Paea instead.

Not only couldn't they judge players on the outside, they couldn't judge the players already in the building.
I understand your never ending quest on here to show your disdain for the Cowboy's coaching staff and FO,
and you can fairly criticize the signings of Carroll, Paea, and Thronton, but trying to criticize the FO for not retaining the trio of Carr, Claiborne, and McClain is comical and reeks of desperation on your part. I could of rationalized keeping Carr, regardless of his inability to create turnovers. but Claiborne and McClain could not be counted on whatsoever, due to their inability to stay healthy. Why retain mediocrity?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand your never ending quest on here to show your disdain for the Cowboy's coaching staff and FO,
and you can fairly criticize the signings of Carroll, Paea, and Thronton, but trying to criticize the FO for not retaining the trio of Carr, Claiborne, and McClain is comical and reeks of desperation on your part.

It's accurate. Undeniably accurate. If there's ant "desperation" involved, it's from Excusemakers trying to minimize and defend the failures. They're the ones who are desperate.

I could of rationalized keeping Carr, regardless of his inability to create turnovers. but Claiborne and McClain could not be counted on whatsoever, due to their inability to stay healthy. Why retain mediocrity?

Because the direction in which they went was far, far worse, that's why. It's one thing to improve, another to stay the same, and quite another to get much, much worse. And that's what the Cowboys did with all of their decisions. They got far, far worse.

You talk about Claiborne and McClain "not being counted on"? What could be worse than Carroll , Thornton, and Paea, the players they did decide to count on? Can't do worse than that.

The awful truth of it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I feel bad for their fans. Cheap owners

Thing is the last CBA was supposed to make owners spend to the cap floor.

Well, they are complying. That still does not mean they are pushing more money to the players.

If anything, veterans are getting squeezed out even more and end of seeing cheap deals if they want to play.

It is the total opposite of what the players thought they would get out of it.

Great CBA for the owners. Bad one for the players.

Yet they still re-elected Smith to represent them.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
When you have your QB in place, you keep building around him. You have your QB on a 3 or 4 year CHEAP deal, now was NOT the time to go cheap. We should have retained 1 safety, 1 corner, and one linemen.

We should have gone after one bad$$$ de and that's it. You don't blow up the team that got you to 13-3. If you wanted to get rid of anything and sign something better, it should have been the "body catcher".

Verdict

Reaction score
Lawrence is only 25.

Campbell has been good for a much longer period of time but I still think at his current pace Lawrence might get more.

Yes there is no doubt that Campbell is far more proven but a 25 year old getting 16 sacks or more might be a whopper contract. It's hard to tell what he will command on the open market. More than Dallas will want to pay him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes there is no doubt that Campbell is far more proven but a 25 year old getting 16 sacks or more might be a whopper contract. It's hard to tell what he will command on the open market. More than Dallas will want to pay him.
The perfect time for the Franchise Tag.

Much different than back when they tagged Spencer who would have only gotten an annual salary of about 1/2 the Tag amount.

Verdict

Reaction score
If he was with the team, they already knew what they had and were likely to get. That is completely different from the other players they signed. Otherwise maybe you should praise them for signing Williams back as some move of genius? Signing back your own requires zero effort and the evaluation of talent is minimal since you already have worked with the player.

You are overlooking the fact that he came here as a free agent. Besides that he was still a bit of a projection because of his health issues. The Cowboys should get credit for that.

Verdict

Reaction score
The perfect time for the Franchise Tag.

Much different than back when they tagged Spencer who would have only gotten an annual salary of about 1/2 the Tag amount.

No argument from me on any of that. I agree totally.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason Garrett mediocre? Who knew? If it wasn't for you and @stasheroo pointing out daily on this forum about the Cowboy's regime's ineptitude, I never would of known.

You still don’t. Like talking to the wall with some people.

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt!
:laugh: