Dallas FA signings need fixing

Sydla

Reaction score
Who would you have signed last offseason?

Poe or Logan at the 1 Tech.

I knew Carroll was trash so if they wanted to go the cheap, bad CB route and hope he performs, I had suggested Patrick Robinson during FA as a better alternative.

I was pimping Hyde pretty hard during FA as well and he signed a fairly reasonable contract.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
1 top talent instead of 3 or 4 low-mid tier guys would be better.

I completely agree. I'd rather invest in a player considering one of the best available, then bring in multiple roster fillers. Imagine if we had just invested in Calais Campbell, or spent on our own to retain Barry Church or Ron Leary, instead of just wasting money on these fill-ins.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I would have signed a couple of our Zoners as our GM. They have great ideas. Gee Wiz!
017.gif

EST_1986

Reaction score
I completely agree. I'd rather invest in a player considering one of the best available, then bring in multiple roster fillers. Imagine if we had just invested in Calais Campbell, or spent on our own to retain Barry Church or Ron Leary, instead of just wasting money on these fill-ins.
The guys we signed were basically camp bodies

conner01

Reaction score
Most big names free agents don't work.

The dame people rueing not making big splash signings killed this team for Carr.

As it is we've been giving out a big contract on average every single year for a decade. Martin putting off his deal till next summer broke that streak. Spending is spending.

Also I suspect we're going to be a big player this offseason out if necessity.
The failed big name FA would be a ugly list
The key to building a team is the draft
Winning at free agency rarely pays off

links18

Reaction score
FA strategy should be dictated by the state of the team and the league. Coming off a 13-3,# 1 seed season, we should have been making an effort to find a few guys to get us over the top and beat GB in the playoffs. First, we never should have let Leary go: Pay the man and keep the strength of the previous year going. Next, we shouldn't have blown up the secondary completely, but looked to add one or two difference makers who could hit the ground running, while the young guys adjusted. Instead, we signed a guy who was sure to get suspended and who didn't even make the halfway point of the season, a CB who by any reasonable assessment stunk and a safety who didn't even make it out of training camp.

bootyhunta

Reaction score
Their philosophy is to sign mid-level free agents after the initial over-payment stage of free agency. These signings are typically for positions where they need some depth and these signings then allow the team to go best player available in the draft.

If some of these signings are getting cut, it means they feel better about the young players coming up, which is a good thing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The guys we signed were basically camp bodies

They were low-rent stopgaps, meant to only fill in until better could replace them. I understand the purpose, but when you go that route, you are destined to be hit and miss. The risk with signing a more capable player is that you could miss on him too at a higher cost, but the potential reward is greater.

To me, the low-rent strategy doesn't have many rewards. At best, you get a short-term stopgap, not someone who can elevate the team. No one, including the front office, could have expected Carroll, Paea and Moore to do that. The best we could hope for is that they weren't worse than the guys they replaced, even though other teams obviously valued our guys more than the ones we signed to replace them.