Dallas FA signings need fixing

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Leary would have topped my list.

How did Leary do the last two games? I think Denver got spanked by the Giants and shutout by the Chargers. First shutout for the Chargers since 1992, I think. Simien was getting pressured a lot from what I saw on Redzone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were low-rent stopgaps, meant to only fill in until better could replace them. I understand the purpose, but when you go that route, you are destined to be hit and miss. The risk with signing a more capable player is that you could miss on him too at a higher cost, but the potential reward is greater.

To me, the low-rent strategy doesn't have many rewards. At best, you get a short-term stopgap, not someone who can elevate the team. No one, including the front office, could have expected Carroll, Paea and Moore to do that. The best we could hope for is that they weren't worse than the guys they replaced, even though other teams obviously valued our guys more than the ones we signed to replace them.

And that's the thing. Every one of them was worse. Significantly worse. So bad, I never fact that none lasted two months into the season.

That's not even stopgap level, that's admitted total failure level.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And what do you want them to do Stash?

And what do you think they'll do?

First, get Marinelli out of your process entirely. Zero input. The guy is a decent defensive line coach, nothing more. Every bit of input he's had regarding personnel has been awful. And pay the devil that you know, even I feel it's a little bit more, than the devil you don't.

Every personnel decision this team had to make this offseason, they got wrong. Every one! It's like they worked at being this poor.

I'd actually fire them all, as I truly believe that this coaching staff hurts the talent, it doesn't help it. Coaching is supposed to put the players in the best position to succeed and I feel that this staff repeatedly fails in that area.

But I don't think they'll do that. They'll likely spend another year or two making really, really, really, really, sure that these are the wrongs guys.

That's my opinion, how about yours?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They weren't signing any big name free agents like Campbell...

They're out of that business.

No, but the cost of keeping some of their own rather than signing these complete misses was neglible too. $5 million difference and they could have kept several of them, specifically at the two spots where all they have now are holes and question marks, and sunken costs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First, get Marinelli out of your process entirely. Zero input. The guy is a decent defensive line coach, nothing more. Every bit of input he's had regarding personnel has been awful. And pay the devil that you know, even I feel it's a little bit more, than the devil you don't.

Every personnel decision this team had to make this offseason, they got wrong. Every one! It's like they worked at being this poor.

I'd actually fire them all, as I truly believe that this coaching staff hurts the talent, it doesn't help it. Coaching is supposed to put the players in the best position to succeed and I feel that this staff repeatedly fails in that area.

But I don't think they'll do that. They'll likely spend another year or two making really, really, really, really, sure that these are the wrongs guys.

That's my opinion, how about yours?

Ask me after the season.

Of course if the season goes far enough south then yes changes should be made.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we havent signed a difference maker since Stephen took over and i dont expect that to change.

cej757

Reaction score
Trying to throw smaller, prove-it contracts out to JAGs is their philosophy these days.

I'd much rather sign a proven guy, for more money.

I understand being fiscally responsible given the cap restrictions, but their frugal nature is coming at the expense of winning.

Looking back it was bad, but at the time, I loved the Greg Hardy signing because they gave him a decent amount of money for that one year and he had a proven track record of production.

I loved the Hardy signing just because his first game he was all over Tom Brady. It just sucked that he never got to play with A healthy Romo on offense. Our team would've been a super bowl contender that year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reasonable on both counts.

For clarity, what's your bottom line record for those changes?

If they just miss the playoffs, I think there will be some changes. Very possibly the DC.

They go like 6-10, then maybe big changes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry sleeps in a hyperbaric chamber three days, says he’s got 20 more years in him...:eek::omg:

And the brain of a 40 year old....well, last time I checked when I was 40, and compared to now at almost 59, there was still a lot to learn at 40....unfortunately though Jerry is stuck at 40 and still hasn't learned anything.

cej757

Reaction score
Stephen said he wants to re-sign his own guys that they drafted but he let Demarco Murray walk?:huh:

This Demarcus Lawrence, Zach Martin situation could get interesting with penny pinching Stephen in control of the budget.