Twitter: Dallas finalizing deal with DE Everson Griffen

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Wonder if this signing is a loss of confidence Gregory returning or Griffin's price. Maybe both........

So you're saying we should take up a collection and get Gregory's NFLPA rep a gift for forcing this signing?

Should of re-worded it better.

Do the Cowboys know something that will prevent Gregory from being reinstated?
Hence this deal, or are they truly loading up on DE depth and expect RG any day now?

This deal makes sense either way. Smith was out of football for 5 years, Gregory for at least 1 or 2. They weren't going to hit the ground running even if they wound up being good. I was worried for us early in the season and was clamoring for Griffen to fill that gap so this is great. As time goes on, maybe you can begin the limit Griffen's snap count in favor of those others to keep him fresher down the stretch.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I'm one that understands how underrated Crawford is on here, and we obviously missed him big time last season. Also calling him a JAG is silly, unless 65%+ of the league are JAGs, which isn't the case.

All that said, saving $8M is a no brainer, but the best course of action would be a payout WHICH WAS HINTED AT EARLY ON THE OFFSEASON. Why has this not happened yet? Also Chris Jones has got to go at that salary.

This post will get all sorts of hate because it is neither pro or con Crawford.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And we have Smith in the rotation. Wow what a rotation. We are going for it on D-Line. This will help our secondary...

I see it this way, at least for now.

Three-man rotation at end. Griffen and Lawrence start, with Smith rotating in. One of the three also will play inside on clear passing downs. The young players will only play at first in garbage time, earning more playing time if they do well. (Depending on the defensive alignment, though, we might use one of them in there as a standup linebacker some along with Griffen, Lawrence and Smith.)

Five-man rotation at tackle. Poe is the starting 1-tech, McCoy the starting 1-tech. On passing downs, Poe is replaced by one of the top three DEs. Woods rotates in some to spell Poe on running downs and keep him fresh. Crawford rotates in some to spell McCoy on running downs to keep him fresh, especially for passing downs. The young DTs (Gallimore and Hill) only play in garbage time at first unless they earn more playing time as part of the regular rotation ... if both make the team.

I think we keep five ends (Lawrence, Griffen, Smith, Anae and one other among Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks, Carter and Hamilton) and five tackles (McCoy, Poe, Woods, Crawford and Gallimore). It's likely that one or two of the ends and Hill also make the practice squad because I don't think we're ready to give up on Hill unless we can get draft compensation for him. (If Hill improves dramatically and looks ready to be a player or Gallimore stands out from the start, only then do I cut Crawford before the start of the season ... if the "starting" five are healthy.)

Loso86

Reaction score
I'm one that understands how underrated Crawford is on here, and we obviously missed him big time last season. Also calling him a JAG is silly, unless 65%+ of the league are JAGs, which isn't the case.

All that said, saving $8M is a no brainer, but the best course of action would be a payout WHICH WAS HINTED AT EARLY ON THE OFFSEASON. Why has this not happened yet? Also Chris Jones has got to go at that salary.

I agree, but unless the front office has plans with that 8 mil right now doesnt matter much either way from there point of view at least

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

You know how I feel about it. At this point its the flashing light jerry likes to talk about.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Don't understand all the Poe love over Crawford. Crawford's stats are better than Poe's in every category. More tackles and sacks despite a shorter career. And Crawford can play multiple positions on the line. Poe is averaging 12 tackles the last 2 years. He's just a 5M grass eater.

Different positions.

Crawford has primarily played end and 3-tech. Both of those positions create one-on-one opportunities that the defender needs to win and get into the backfield, either to disrupt the passer or the runner.

Poe has primarily played 1-tech. That means he generally is supposed to be a blocker magnet while trying not to let two offensive linemen uproot him and trying to push through them into the backfield. If he's doing his job, then the 3-tech gets those one-on-ones that he's supposed to win or the linebackers don't get a blocker disengaging from the help block to get on them in the running game.

Poe should be the best 1-tech we've had since we switched back to the 4-3. He has power and size to hold the line, which is why Carolina's line was better against the run last year when he was healthy. However, he also has the ability to put some pressure on the quarterback. Woods, who also plays 1-tech, wasn't bad at holding the line when he was healthy, but offered absolutely nothing as a pass rusher.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I love this signing but I wonder what it would have cost them to sign him to a 2 year deal. I feel like it would have been more effective to get his replacement next offseason but not be forced into it. Would he have signed for $18m over 2 years? I mean the money is there with a crawford cut. 1 year deals are nice but we don't even have his replacement on the roster.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I agree, but unless the front office has plans with that 8 mil right now doesnt matter much either way from there point of view at least
With the CAP expected to drop big time next year, I am confident they would love for us to roll over an additional $8M in CAP to use since we are a team in one of the worst positions CAP wise next season.

RS12

Reaction score
This guy is supposed to be crazier than Alonzo Spellman. That is say something.

Loso86

Reaction score
With the CAP expected to drop big time next year, I am confident they would love for us to roll over an additional $8M in CAP to use since we are a team in one of the worst positions CAP wise next season.
Nothing is specific and nothing is known at this point they have time, if there not worries then I'm not

Reaction score
Ok....I'll go ahead and say it....I would have signed Clowney instead. Was just about to make a post yesterday saying...how can you pass up defensive end rotation like this?

LDE- Lawrence/Aldon Smith
RDE-Clowney/Gregory

I would have even cut Crawford to just make room....

Honestly....Not a big fan of this move. This just stinks of Greg Hardy 2.0.....

And I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being more of a DT...in a 3rd down pass rushing situation. I know I'm not getting my hopes up.
Getting Griffin at $6M is way better than getting Clowney at $15M-$20M

It's not even debateable

J-man

Reaction score
I was so pumped when I got the notification on my phone last night! He was my main target for DE all off season.

D-law, Griffen, Anae, Armstrong, Crawford and Smith is one heck of a rotation at DE! With Poe, McCoy, Galimore and Woods at DT I really think our D-line is now a strength instead of a weakness. Great job Big Mike and (the real GM) Will McClay!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Nothing is specific and nothing is known at this point they have time, if there not worries then I'm not
Even before the dropped CAP we didn't have enough CAP space to be tag Dak a 2nd time and to be fair, you don't know if they're worried or not.

But as I mentioned, it's not about having CAP space for this season, since remaining CAP always rolls over.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Getting Griffin at $6M is way better than getting Clowney at $15M-$20M

It's not even debateable

There's not a chance in he'll Clowney gets $18-$20 at this point, and likely less than $15M.

So while it's not debatable, it also doesn't need to be debated since one side of this won't happen.