Dallas has $90 million in cap space for 2020

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to OTC, we have 36 players on the roster for 2020.

Here are the Free Agents at the end of this season:
  • Dak Prescott- He'll get extended (Est. $22 million cap hit for 2020)
  • Amari Cooper-Extended (EST. $15 million cap hit for 2020)
  • Robert Quinn-Most likely not here in 2020
  • Randall Cobb-Seems to enjoy being a Cowboy and I bet if he plays well he'll return on a team friendly deal. 2 year $14 million/7.5 million guaranteed- cap hit of 6.5 million for 2020)
  • Jason Witten-This should be is last season
  • Sean Lee-Also should retire
  • Byron Jones-Let him walk or extend him only a team friendly deal (unlikely)
  • Jeff Heath-Him being voted as captain make me believe he'll get a new deal. Personally, I think this should be his last year. ($4 million cap hit for 2020)
  • Joe Thomas-Most likely cashing in on free agency
  • Christian Covington-JAG
  • Tavon Austin-Don't see him returing
  • LP Ladoucer-Bring him back ($1.1 million cap hit)
  • Joe Looney-3 year deal $12 million/9 million guaranteed ($2 million cap hit for 2020)
  • Kerry Hyder-JAG
  • Maliek Collins-Most likely gone, but would like to see him get an extension.
  • Su'a-Filo-Cashing in on free agency
  • March-Lillard-Can be brought back on a team friendly deal, if needed ($2 million cap hit)
  • C.J. Goodwin-Can be brought back on a team friendly deal, if needed ($2.5 million cap hit)
  • Daniel Ross-JAG
  • Anthony Brown-Cashing in on free agency.
  • Blake Jarwin-Restricted Free Agent (Extend him) ($2 million cap hit)
  • Antwaun Woods-Restricted Free Agent ($2.5 million cap hit)
I bet the 10 players in bold will be brought back with cap hits totaling $57.6 million. Cutting Crawford will give us $99 million in cap space.

We would have $39 million in cap space and 45 players on the 53 man roster.

Still in really good shape.

It's far more complicated than that.

Fitting players into 2020 is not the issue.

Contract averages must add up to the cap over multiple years or they will get into cap problems.

DLaw 21
Zeke 15
Martin 14
Jaylon 12.75
Tyron 12.2
La'el 10
Frederick 9.4

Dak 34
Amari 20

Bottom 33 about 16% of cap (32 for 200 cap).
The 16% is based on historical numbers.
The bottom 33 can't be squeezed much beyond the 16% number.

Add that up and you have the amount remaining for contracts 9 to 20.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
WE ARE IN CAP HELL. WHY CAN"T ANYONE SEE THIS?
Are you being facetious. This franchise has not been in cap hell for 15 seasons. I've never seen it be an issue yet we want a player we get a player. And I'm being serious. Too many mathematicians the franchise has

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I think we went into cap hell the season tony got the 120 million dollar contract , or the following season .

Then, couple of years later, here we are today NOT in cap hell .

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Are you being facetious. This franchise has not been in cap hell for 15 seasons. I've never seen it be an issue yet we want a player we get a player. And I'm being serious. Too many mathematicians the franchise has

Are you being thick?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are you being thick?
I've been posting on the form for over 10 seasons. Every season somebody says we're in cap hell. But we always seem to do what we want and it's not an issue. Yeah fans want free agents that the franchise was never going to sign in the first place

CapnB

Reaction score

• Randall Cobb-Seems to enjoy being a Cowboy and I bet if he plays well he'll return on a team friendly deal. 2 year $14 million/7.5 million guaranteed- cap hit of 6.5 million for 2020)
  • Jeff Heath-Him being voted as captain make me believe he'll get a new deal. Personally, I think this should be his last year. ($4 million cap hit for 2020)
  • Joe Looney-3 year deal $12 million/9 million guaranteed ($2 million cap hit for 2020)
  • Kerry Hyder-JAG
  • March-Lillard-Can be brought back on a team friendly deal, if needed ($2 million cap hit)
  • C.J. Goodwin-Can be brought back on a team friendly deal, if needed ($2.5 million cap hit)
  • Daniel Ross-JAG
I bet the 10 players in bold will be brought back with cap hits totaling $57.6 million. Cutting Crawford will give us $99 million in cap space.

Saying that about Quinn why exactly?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

• Kerry Hyder-JAG
  • Daniel Ross-JAG

OOOOooooooo I like this. You just slaughtered @xwalker. He doesn't die easily tho

garyo1954

Reaction score

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not to mention, the new CBA might increase the cap by 50%.

That's why Dak and Cooper are holding firm.

Most of the things I've read about the up coming CBA negotiations say that in the end the owners will probably concede a little more so I'm not sure where you got the idea that the players would get a 50% bump from. On the current CBA the players get 48.5% and if there was a 50% increase they would be getting 72% and there's no way the owners will ever agree to giving the players 72%. What I've read is when it's all done the owners will probably give the players 49.75%. What you might be thinking are the TV contracts but even those many of the financial people are saying will be for the same money or even a little less money because viewership has dropped some the past couple of years.

garyo1954

Reaction score

Cap hell is coming.

"The salary cap makes paying Prescott, Cooper, Jones, and Elliott difficult. Prescott’s next deal could be in the $130 million range—similar to those signed by Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz—and Cooper’s is likely to top $100 million, as Saints receiver Michael Thomas’s new contract did. Jones is in line for about $80 million over four years, based on the contract signed by Dolphins corner Xavien Howard. Plus, three members of the offensive line will cost another $50 million in salaries for 2020, and the salary cap for that season will sit at about $200 million. While cap math can get complicated—deals can be structured to push a player’s hit against the cap to a future year—it’s possible that the Cowboys will be in a position where just eight or nine players will account for three-quarters of their cap space. In other words, it looks impossible for the team to pay every player it’s going to want to keep. Hard choices are coming.

Teams that are successful when their star players are on their first contracts have a much tougher time retaining high-level talent to surround them as those stars get more expensive to re-sign. Prescott accounts for a little more than $2 million toward the salary cap in 2019, which has given the team a lot of flexibility to bring in players like Cooper. By 2020, the quarterback will cost ten times that, and that flexibility goes out the window.

Which means that 2019 might be the last hurrah for this iteration of the Cowboys. Elliott’s obviously a big part of their hopes for the coming season—which is the very leverage that makes his potential holdout a smart strategy. The Cowboys salary cap situation will be a game of musical chairs in 2020. If Elliott can guarantee himself a seat for several seasons to come by threatening to disrupt the team’s plans, that could be his best shot to succeed at the business of football while playing the game’s most disposable position."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/dallas-cowboys-salary-cap-ezekiel-elliott-holdout/

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most of the things I've read about the up coming CBA negotiations say that in the end the owners will probably concede a little more so I'm not sure where you got the idea that the players would get a 50% bump from. On the current CBA the players get 48.5% and if there was a 50% increase they would be getting 72% and there's no way the owners will ever agree to giving the players 72%. What I've read is when it's all done the owners will probably give the players 49.75%. What you might be thinking are the TV contracts but even those many of the financial people are saying will be for the same money or even a little less money because viewership has dropped some the past couple of years.
Miss you, cowboy brother. Have we ever been in true cap hell? You were on the old forum it seems every year people complain but it was never an issue

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cap hell is coming.

"The salary cap makes paying Prescott, Cooper, Jones, and Elliott difficult. Prescott’s next deal could be in the $130 million range—similar to those signed by Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz—and Cooper’s is likely to top $100 million, as Saints receiver Michael Thomas’s new contract did. Jones is in line for about $80 million over four years, based on the contract signed by Dolphins corner Xavien Howard. Plus, three members of the offensive line will cost another $50 million in salaries for 2020, and the salary cap for that season will sit at about $200 million. While cap math can get complicated—deals can be structured to push a player’s hit against the cap to a future year—it’s possible that the Cowboys will be in a position where just eight or nine players will account for three-quarters of their cap space. In other words, it looks impossible for the team to pay every player it’s going to want to keep. Hard choices are coming.

Teams that are successful when their star players are on their first contracts have a much tougher time retaining high-level talent to surround them as those stars get more expensive to re-sign. Prescott accounts for a little more than $2 million toward the salary cap in 2019, which has given the team a lot of flexibility to bring in players like Cooper. By 2020, the quarterback will cost ten times that, and that flexibility goes out the window.

Which means that 2019 might be the last hurrah for this iteration of the Cowboys. Elliott’s obviously a big part of their hopes for the coming season—which is the very leverage that makes his potential holdout a smart strategy. The Cowboys salary cap situation will be a game of musical chairs in 2020. If Elliott can guarantee himself a seat for several seasons to come by threatening to disrupt the team’s plans, that could be his best shot to succeed at the business of football while playing the game’s most disposable position."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/dallas-cowboys-salary-cap-ezekiel-elliott-holdout/
I've heard that for 10 seasons now or longer. And it never turns out to be an issue

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm understanding they're going to take NFL Sunday Ticket away from DirecTV and possibly give it to Amazon

Rayman70

Reaction score
we have actually created MORE cap space for 2019 AND 2020 BY signing the guys we have to the extensions. WE can sign everyone if that's our wish. Plus have some to spare if we make a deal for someone...CBS ran an article on this about 2 weeks ago saying this and provided a breakdown of the deals we signed guys to.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
we have actually created MORE cap space for 2019 AND 2020 BY signing the guys we have to the extensions. WE can sign everyone if that's our wish. Plus have some to spare if we make a deal for someone...CBS ran an article on this about 2 weeks ago saying this and provided a breakdown of the deals we signed guys to.
I think people just like the drama. They want free agents that the franchise would never sign anyways

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm understanding they're going to take NFL Sunday Ticket away from DirecTV and possibly give it to Amazon
I got away from that crap...ie Directv and such...2 years ago. I saved a ton of money and get the games I want with HULU and sling. a fraction of the cost.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I've heard that for 10 seasons now or longer. And it never turns out to be an issue

It was written during Elliott's holdout. Shirley, Texas Monthly is not in the habit of using the same article ten years in a row!

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I got away from that crap...ie Directv and such...2 years ago. I saved a ton of money and get the games I want with HULU and sling. a fraction of the cost.
Are you telling me I can watch live games out of Market on sling,? I haven't had to stream yet because I have the Cowboys in the north-east every week pair but I'm sure one game this season I probably won't get. And the fact of it is I haven't missed a Cowboy game in 15 years and that is an absolute fact