Dallas has $90 million in cap space for 2020

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was written during Elliott's holdout. Shirley, Texas Monthly is not in the habit of using the same article ten years in a row!
I'm sure it's someone's opinion. But I don't buy it because that's all I hear every season I haven't seen the Cap be an issue in over 10 to 12 seasons. I'm probably before that if I can remember it's just drama in someone else's opinion. Every year somebody comes up with something that they think will be the new drama. I don't buy into propaganda scuttlebutt

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Cap hell is coming.

"The salary cap makes paying Prescott, Cooper, Jones, and Elliott difficult. Prescott’s next deal could be in the $130 million range—similar to those signed by Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz—and Cooper’s is likely to top $100 million, as Saints receiver Michael Thomas’s new contract did. Jones is in line for about $80 million over four years, based on the contract signed by Dolphins corner Xavien Howard. Plus, three members of the offensive line will cost another $50 million in salaries for 2020, and the salary cap for that season will sit at about $200 million. While cap math can get complicated—deals can be structured to push a player’s hit against the cap to a future year—it’s possible that the Cowboys will be in a position where just eight or nine players will account for three-quarters of their cap space. In other words, it looks impossible for the team to pay every player it’s going to want to keep. Hard choices are coming.

Teams that are successful when their star players are on their first contracts have a much tougher time retaining high-level talent to surround them as those stars get more expensive to re-sign. Prescott accounts for a little more than $2 million toward the salary cap in 2019, which has given the team a lot of flexibility to bring in players like Cooper. By 2020, the quarterback will cost ten times that, and that flexibility goes out the window.

Which means that 2019 might be the last hurrah for this iteration of the Cowboys. Elliott’s obviously a big part of their hopes for the coming season—which is the very leverage that makes his potential holdout a smart strategy. The Cowboys salary cap situation will be a game of musical chairs in 2020. If Elliott can guarantee himself a seat for several seasons to come by threatening to disrupt the team’s plans, that could be his best shot to succeed at the business of football while playing the game’s most disposable position."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/dallas-cowboys-salary-cap-ezekiel-elliott-holdout/

oh boy . it reads scary .

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Managing the cap better.... drafting better = solid foundation.

I remember reading the article a week or so ago on this site. On how we’re a much smarter team now with the cap. No longer deferring big time money to players when they’re on the decline but paying them now when they are the top of their game.

Stephen Jones and will Mcclay have been instrumental in this teams turnaround. Gotta keep Mcclay here long term as well

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was written during Elliott's holdout. Shirley, Texas Monthly is not in the habit of using the same article ten years in a row!
They're not the only ones that try to pull this off my cowboy brother. Every year somebody has a article like this do you know how many mathematicians accountant this franchise has on retainer. Trust me not an issue they know what they're going to do 10 years from now

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Miss you, cowboy brother. Have we ever been in true cap hell? You were on the old forum it seems every year people complain but it was never an issue

Yo Whirlwin since the cap started the Cowboys were in cap hell until this off season. They started with a ton of dead money and every year they had to renegotiate contracts that ultimately added more dead money down the road and that vicious cycle kept repeating until just a couple of years ago and now they are finally out of cap hell.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yo Whirlwin since the cap started the Cowboys were in cap hell until this off season. They started with a ton of dead money and every year they had to renegotiate contracts that ultimately added more dead money down the road and that vicious cycle kept repeating until just a couple of years ago and now they are finally out of cap hell.
That's what I'm saying. They found a way around it. So I don't call that personally being in cap hell. But I guess it helps not to have to do that any longer. People think we're in that same cycle

Rayman70

Reaction score
Are you telling me I can watch live games out of Market on sling,? I haven't had to stream yet because I have the Cowboys in the north-east every week pair but I'm sure one game this season I probably won't get. And the fact of it is I haven't missed a Cowboy game in 15 years and that is an absolute fact
no..they have NFL TICKET THO..AT A FRACTION OF THE COST FOR SATELLITE. BUT FOR EXAMPLE, I live in west Texas and get every single Dallas game, home and away on my local antanae. PLUS Hulu live also provides INCLUDES your local channels. But sometimes sling also has a random game that is out of market. NO its not as good as NFL ticket..but its really close.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
no..they have NFL TICKET THO..AT A FRACTION OF THE COST FOR SATELLITE. BUT FOR EXAMPLE, I live in west Texas and get every single Dallas game, home and away on my local antanae. PLUS Hulu live also provides INCLUDES your local channels. But sometimes sling also has a random game that is out of market. NO its not as good as NFL ticket..but its really close.
So I'm going to have to try Riddick. I don't think that's spelled right I tried it last week I watched an out-of-market game but it kept buffering. I guess I'm going to a bar at least once this season I don't drink LOL

garyo1954

Reaction score
They're not the only ones that try to pull this off my cowboy brother. Every year somebody has a article like this do you know how many mathematicians accountant this franchise has on retainer. Trust me not an issue they know what they're going to do 10 years from now

From last year......

There is one huge problem with kicking the can down the road when it comes to the NFL salary cap. Eventually, it stops rolling — and so do a team's chances of upgrading its roster via free agency with splashy signings.

The 2018 Dallas Cowboys are experiencing this first-hand.

Dallas is hamstrung because of previous decisions that left the Cowboys with less salary cap room (around $2 million) than any other team heading into the NFL's calendar year. Two recent transactions — cornerback Orlando Scandrick's release and the restructuring of center Travis Frederick's contract — have given Dallas a bit more space for moves like the re-signing of long snapper L.P. Ladouceur, which reportedly will happen Monday. Reports say Dallas will be meeting with New England tackles Cameron Fleming and LaAdrian Waddle. The arrival of either could pave the way for La’el Collins’ return to left guard.

But as for those top players who were initially available in free agency, that first wave has crested. The Cowboys' top unsigned player was part of it, as linebacker Anthony Hitchens surfed to a five-year, $45 million deal with Kansas City; Dallas simply could not match.

Wide receiver Sammy Watkins, the only outside marquee talent Dallas reportedly tried to sign, also went to the Chiefs.

Had the Cowboys sealed that deal, the cap space needed to sign Watkins would have come from more contract restructures and player releases. Potential targets included wide receiver Dez Bryant, who likely would have been asked to trim his $12.5 million base salary or even jettisoned if an agreement could not be reached. (Dez Bryant, huh?)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...s-dez-bryant-rumors/am04778p7xyr1trts8vfhooxw

Rayman70

Reaction score
I pay under 70 bucks a month and cut my bill in half pretty much. Better than paying through the nose for one channel essentially(nfl network/sunday ticket).

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm understanding they're going to take NFL Sunday Ticket away from DirecTV and possibly give it to Amazon

I read something that the NFL is ultimately going to take money from both and neither one will have an exclusive contract. This will be good for the consumer because there will be at least some competition for Sunday Ticket so some lower pricing.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
From last year......

There is one huge problem with kicking the can down the road when it comes to the NFL salary cap. Eventually, it stops rolling — and so do a team's chances of upgrading its roster via free agency with splashy signings.

The 2018 Dallas Cowboys are experiencing this first-hand.

Dallas is hamstrung because of previous decisions that left the Cowboys with less salary cap room (around $2 million) than any other team heading into the NFL's calendar year. Two recent transactions — cornerback Orlando Scandrick's release and the restructuring of center Travis Frederick's contract — have given Dallas a bit more space for moves like the re-signing of long snapper L.P. Ladouceur, which reportedly will happen Monday. Reports say Dallas will be meeting with New England tackles Cameron Fleming and LaAdrian Waddle. The arrival of either could pave the way for La’el Collins’ return to left guard.

But as for those top players who were initially available in free agency, that first wave has crested. The Cowboys' top unsigned player was part of it, as linebacker Anthony Hitchens surfed to a five-year, $45 million deal with Kansas City; Dallas simply could not match.

Wide receiver Sammy Watkins, the only outside marquee talent Dallas reportedly tried to sign, also went to the Chiefs.

Had the Cowboys sealed that deal, the cap space needed to sign Watkins would have come from more contract restructures and player releases. Potential targets included wide receiver Dez Bryant, who likely would have been asked to trim his $12.5 million base salary or even jettisoned if an agreement could not be reached. (Dez Bryant, huh?)

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...s-dez-bryant-rumors/am04778p7xyr1trts8vfhooxw
I agree it keep kicking it down the road. In a my opinion we just keep rolling. So it's not an issue. It's nice not to have to do that. So I guess it's just a definition of cap hell. I don't worry about it my cowboy brother go Cowboys. Never seem to be an issue where you always were able to sign who we wanted

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I pay under 70 bucks a month and cut my bill in half pretty much. Better than paying through the nose for one channel essentially(nfl network/sunday ticket).
I got NFL Sunday Ticket every other season for free because I signed a new two-year contract. So it was like getting it half price. But AT&T took over and they no longer do that. This will be the first year and since 2000 I don't have NFL Sunday Ticket. That was my Christmas present every year

Rayman70

Reaction score
So I'm going to have to try Riddick. I don't think that's spelled right I tried it last week I watched an out-of-market game but it kept buffering. I guess I'm going to a bar at least once this season I don't drink LOL
reddit. YUP...its not reliable. But give what I said a shot. Go to HULU online and sling...they have packages that you might like...so you might not have to go to the bar. I use to do the same thing until my brother told me about this. Its just WIFI channels you can watch on your TV or devices...its really reliable.I live in BFE lol...in the country...and I have yet to have an issue watching the games. Pick them all up.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
reddit. YUP...its not reliable. But give what I said a shot. Go to HULU online and sling...they have packages that you might like...so you might not have to go to the bar. I use to do the same thing until my brother told me about this. Its just WIFI channels you can watch on your TV or devices...its really reliable.I live in BFE lol...in the country...and I have yet to have an issue watching the games. Pick them all up.
Right now I have Verizon FiOS. The internet speed is amazing. So I shouldn't have a problem with sling I'm going to try it for a free week

Rayman70

Reaction score
I got NFL Sunday Ticket every other season for free because I signed a new two-year contract. So it was like getting it half price. But AT&T took over and they no longer do that. This will be the first year and since 2000 I don't have NFL Sunday Ticket. That was my Christmas present every year
me too...funny that's what I would do. But yes, THEY STOPPED doing that. I changed about 2 years ago due to that...and am happy. Its overrated anyway...I haven't missed a single game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Right now I have Verizon FiOS. The internet speed is amazing. So I shouldn't have a problem with sling I'm going to try it for a free week
awesome!! that's a good set up. Yup...that's what I did..tried it for a week, and I signed up. Its worth it. HULU might also have a free trial. HULU live with no commercials is awesome.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I had it for a while. The first year I had it someone called me from DirecTV and said I could get the Ticket for $1.00 a month more on my bill so I jumped on that. Then just before the end of that season I got another call from them and they said if I sign up now for next season I could get it for just $2.00 a month more starting in August the next year so I jumped on that. After that they want $160.00 spread out over the 6 months of the season or $30.00 a month. I didn't take that because I thoiught a little while down the road someone would call back with a better offer. They didn't. I called them at the beginning of August and asked how much for the Ticket and they said $225.00 so that was the end of the ticket for me.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had it for a while. The first year I had it someone called me from DirecTV and said I could get the Ticket for $1.00 a month more on my bill so I jumped on that. Then just before the end of that season I got another call from them and they said if I sign up now for next season I could get it for just $2.00 a month more starting in August the next year so I jumped on that. After that they want $160.00 spread out over the 6 months of the season or $30.00 a month. I didn't take that because I thoiught a little while down the road someone would call back with a better offer. They didn't. I called them at the beginning of August and asked how much for the Ticket and they said $225.00 so that was the end of the ticket for me.
From what I understand. They were hoping to use that as a gimmick so people would sign up their contract and get normal television. But they started to lose money because they had to pay over a billion dollars for the Sunday Ticket. It just didn't work out financially for them. Maybe that's why they're going to split between Amazon and AT&T