Dallas is entering a rebuild

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Dallas had a solid draft haul and prioritized valuable positions across the trenches with their first 3 picks, it’s a good investment for the future given the roster churn that is hitting the team and will continue over the next 12 months.

Tyron Smith was the first big domino to fall, but you have to wonder if Zack Martin and Demarcus Lawrence are entering their last seasons with the club. Those are 3 cornerstone players of the past decade that the team wisely planned their draft strategy around.

Parsons and Lamb are clearly the young stars that MUST be extended long term. Tyler Smith seems to be a young cog moving forward on the OL. However, when you look beyond that it is very unclear who the additional young core pieces on this roster are. I can’t remember the last time we had this much uncertainty and dependency on young/unproven players.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing, we saw a young player in Daron Bland emerge last year and hopefully he’s more than a flash in the pan. But it makes me wonder who else will emerge from this collection of young unknowns.

I don’t think Osa and Gholston are seeing extensions, so who emerges on the DL? Kneeland, Williams, Mazi and Fehoko are all unknowns at this point but will be relied on heavily to prove something this year. Same thing with the LB core, Clark was underwhelming last year… will Overshown or Liafau emerge this year?

What does the WR pipeline look like beyond CeeDee Lamb? Cooks is likely on his last legs, there willl be plenty of snaps available for the younger guys so who will step up there?

Running Back?

It just seems like this is one of the more uncertain periods we’ve had in understanding the roster we currently have and identifying the core assets that we’ve experienced in quite some time. Anyone else feeling this way?

Loso86

Reaction score
Dallas had a solid draft haul and prioritized valuable positions across the trenches with their first 3 picks, it’s a good investment for the future given the roster churn that is hitting the team and will continue over the next 12 months.

Tyron Smith was the first big domino to fall, but you have to wonder if Zack Martin and Demarcus Lawrence are entering their last seasons with the club. Those are 3 cornerstone players of the past decade that the team wisely planned their draft strategy around.

Parsons and Lamb are clearly the young stars that MUST be extended long term. Tyler Smith seems to be a young cog moving forward on the OL. However, when you look beyond that it is very unclear who the additional young core pieces on this roster are. I can’t remember the last time we had this much uncertainty and dependency on young/unproven players.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing, we saw a young player in Daron Bland emerge last year and hopefully he’s more than a flash in the pan. But it makes me wonder who else will emerge from this collection of young unknowns.

I don’t think Osa and Gholston are seeing extensions, so who emerges on the DL? Kneeland, Williams, Mazi and Fehoko are all unknowns at this point but will be relied on heavily to prove something this year. Same thing with the LB core, Clark was underwhelming last year… will Overshown or Liafau emerge this year?

What does the WR pipeline look like beyond CeeDee Lamb? Cooks is likely on his last legs, there willl be plenty of snaps available for the younger guys so who will step up there?

Running Back?

It just seems like this is one of the more uncertain periods we’ve had in understanding the roster we currently have and identifying the core assets that we’ve experienced in quite some time.
Not quite a rebuild wouldn't consist of paying top players at their position top money.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
This is not a rebuild. Washington was a rebuild, New England was a rebuild.

This is rid yourself of bad contracts and focus on future cap. The only position in question in the future is QB.
Rebuild or reset or whatever you want to call it, this is clearly more churn and unknown than we’ve seen in recent memory.

We’re going to be relying on tons of unknown young players, more so than we have in quite some time. If the FO wanted to rebuild the team, this is exactly how you would go about it. Limit the outside spending on known FA commodities and let young players you drafted compete to prove themselves for all these holes on your roster. It’s a cheap way to let the pieces settle, find out who emerges, and go from there.

We haven’t been big players in outside FA for a long time, but we always at least tried to find cheap band aids for our holes. This wasn’t the case this year, it seems to be they’re just setting this up to let the young unproven fight it out.

Last edited:

bewp7

Reaction score
idk why people scare of rebuilding in the nfl just in general not any one here but just in general

u can rebuild in 1-3 year in the nfl it is not like baseball or some thing

i wish this team would rebuild they been spinning they wheel for a long time

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I completely agree. The first three picks were more than likely made to replace three of our highest paid players: Lawrence, Martin, and Tyron Smith. I don't buy that Beebe is here for C. I think they'll try him out there this year, but Hoffman will win the job and then Beebe'll be starting RG after that. Same for Kneeland. Don't believe he's a RDE. He's a role player this year and LDE the next.

I'd bet that's what Lance was for too. QB is the hardest position to get right though.

Carson

Reaction score
Rebuild or reset or whatever you want to call it, this is clearly more churn and unknown than we’ve seen in recent memory.

We’re going to be relying on tons of unknown young players, more so than we have in quite some time.
You’re asking future draft picks and a few rookies to start.

RB - Zeke, Dowdle vets
LT - Guyton. We couldn’t hang on to Tyron forever. The main issue is, his replacement is in year 3, but turned into an All Pro guard.
C - Beebe is powerful and an anchor. Weren’t you tired of seeing Biadasz get pushed back?
WR - Tolbert is in year 3 and needs to step up

DE - Sam Williams is in year 3 and time to produce. Kneeland was the best run defending end in all of college.
DT - Mazi worries me. But Rogers should be able to help.
LB - Overshown will step up

The two big concerns are LT and DT. If they step up and play well we will be fine.

Carson

Reaction score
I completely agree. The first three picks were more than likely made to replace three of our highest paid players: Lawrence, Martin, and Tyron Smith. I don't buy that Beebe is here for C. I think they'll try him out there this year, but Hoffman will win the job and then Beebe'll be starting RG after that. Same for Kneeland. Don't believe he's a RDE. He's a role player this year and LDE the next.

I'd bet that's what Lance was for, too.
It was reporter pre draft they viewed Beebe as a center and he has been working with Duke Mayweather at it.

If Duke says you’re legit, you are in fact legit.

NickZepp

Reaction score
People complain about RB it just wasn't in the cards this year for the value of the picks that they had them on. Last year we had a guy that we thought was gonna be a franchise back for years but the OL wasn't as good and he wasn't that good frankly. So he wasn't worth paying. Hopefully with the draft investment in the OL we will be getting better blocking there and we can plug in a good running back.

Right now it seems the focus will likely be playing Parsons and Lamb long term so that you can have a QB that's at worst JAG and can still win some games. It may be difficult to find a QB that can win 12-13 games a year like Dak has the last few years though and probably will this year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
its a rebuild. Its a soft rebuild. Not like Washington. This year its on the defensive side, Next couple years, it will be on offense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Football is still football. It DOES happen altho fairly rare, as far as drafting guy and seeing them contribute heavily right away. But The Ravens did it back in the day, and the Bears,dolphins did it. Its rare, but can happen.Usually its the 2nd and 3rd year but sometimes it does happen sooner. The running game scares me this year. We have no one that scares anyone.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Football is still football. It DOES happen altho fairly rare, as far as drafting guy and seeing them contribute heavily right away. But The Ravens did it back in the day, and the Bears,dolphins did it. Its rare, but can happen.Usually its the 2nd and 3rd year but sometimes it does happen sooner. The running game scares me this year. We have no one that scares anyone.
Not really sure we have much of a choice. Baptism by fire, Guyton and Beebe will start. Kneeland will get plenty of playing time.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I don’t think he nfl is like the nba where you really have to rebuild . You can trade Zach Martin dak Micah and ceedee for picks and win with a young roster I swear. Gotta coach good play hard avoid injuries and get a little lucky

Rayman70

Reaction score
At least we have a new crop of star players whose careers we can watch get squandered while Jerry proves he's a "Fooyball Guy".
Jerry panders to them, pampers them, tells them and the fans how lucky we are to have them here, then tears them to pieces when its contract time. He ruins them for sure.He never holds these players to account. All in isn't what we are seeing. We are seeing a vengeful owner going cheap, expecting better results, all without doing anything tangible to achieve such.The draft is just 1 aspect of team building, and they know it. This is willful vengeance. The Jones family is upset that the investment they made in Dak and the team hasn't netted them another SB. The punishment is what we been seeing all offseason. Problem is, he waited too long to hold folks to account. HE created a pampered environment. Now we are trying to become a physical team with all draft picks which is a freaking farce. Hoping for the best, but prepping for the worst.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Jerry panders to them, pampers them, tells them and the fans how lucky we are to have them here, then tears them to pieces when its contract time. He ruins them for sure.He never holds these players to account. All in isn't what we are seeing. We are seeing a vengeful owner going cheap, expecting better results, all without doing anything tangible to achieve such.The draft is just 1 aspect of team building, and they know it. This is willful vengeance. The Jones family is upset that the investment they made in Dak and the team hasn't netted them another SB. The punishment is what we been seeing all offseason. Problem is, he waited too long to hold folks to account. HE created a pampered environment. Now we are trying to become a physical team with all draft picks which is a freaking farce. Hoping for the best, but prepping for the worse.
Yeah, the whining to the public negotiating tactic that Jerry and son employ is a horrible tactic and yet they employ it time and again. Jerry only has himself to blame for getting into these positions.