Dallas is entering a rebuild

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is not a rebuild. Washington was a rebuild, New England was a rebuild.

This is rid yourself of bad contracts and focus on future cap. The only position in question in the future is QB.
I think they are going to resign Dak at some point or we would have heard more noise coming out of the star. Looks like to me, they are preparing for the departure of a few long-term vets and going to keep all their young star players.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas had a solid draft haul and prioritized valuable positions across the trenches with their first 3 picks, it’s a good investment for the future given the roster churn that is hitting the team and will continue over the next 12 months.

Tyron Smith was the first big domino to fall, but you have to wonder if Zack Martin and Demarcus Lawrence are entering their last seasons with the club. Those are 3 cornerstone players of the past decade that the team wisely planned their draft strategy around.

Parsons and Lamb are clearly the young stars that MUST be extended long term. Tyler Smith seems to be a young cog moving forward on the OL. However, when you look beyond that it is very unclear who the additional young core pieces on this roster are. I can’t remember the last time we had this much uncertainty and dependency on young/unproven players.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing, we saw a young player in Daron Bland emerge last year and hopefully he’s more than a flash in the pan. But it makes me wonder who else will emerge from this collection of young unknowns.

I don’t think Osa and Gholston are seeing extensions, so who emerges on the DL? Kneeland, Williams, Mazi and Fehoko are all unknowns at this point but will be relied on heavily to prove something this year. Same thing with the LB core, Clark was underwhelming last year… will Overshown or Liafau emerge this year?

What does the WR pipeline look like beyond CeeDee Lamb? Cooks is likely on his last legs, there willl be plenty of snaps available for the younger guys so who will step up there?

Running Back?

It just seems like this is one of the more uncertain periods we’ve had in understanding the roster we currently have and identifying the core assets that we’ve experienced in quite some time. Anyone else feeling this way?
Good stuff.....I actually read it all.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Only if you don’t know the definition.

Teams like KC and SF aren’t rebuilding. They are adding to what they have or filling a couple of holes created by FA.

re·build
verb
  1. build (something) again after it has been damaged or destroyed
Yes, I don't think you can call it a rebuild when you have a QB making the kind of $ that Dak is, lol. Nor would you sign an aging vet who has seen his better days like Zeke.
A rebuild would be trading Dak, or cutting him, etc, and trading Martin, J- Law - everything of value that you can sell to acquire young players or draft picks.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
As long as this team is coached by McCarthy, a deep playoff run will always be farfetched. He's not a playoff-caliber HC. He's forever outcoached, and can't even get the team ready to play in the playoffs.

So, they may as well rebuild and plan for a future without McCarthy.

The Cowboys can draft a solid RB once a new HC is here, and with an o-line gelling from playing together.

So to me, the fact that they kept McCarthy, and didn't make waves early in Free Agency, was a sign that this is basically a retooling season, and I'm OK with that. McCarthy ain't winning no Superbowl here in Dallas as the head coach....most of us know this.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well said although I don’t think this FO will ever admit to a rebuild. Nor do I believe they know how to do it because without Jimmy or Parcells, Jerry has never done one successfully.

I think we had a decent draft - maybe a B-. But I don’t see this team as currently constituted, as even as good as last year’s team. There will certainly be more upside in the future with Guyton, Bebee, perhaps Kneeland. But with no upgrade at RB, this team will take a step back offensively.

As far as uncertainty, there is SOME certainty. We have the same GM that has given us the last three decades of results. Unfortunately, there Is a level of certainty there.
One of the strong management NFL skills of Jerry is trying to win each and every season. Some times he does and sometimes he doesn't, but the principal is a winner's base. A fan's value or not. The Cowboys do show up for the game.

Chasing6

Reaction score
One of the strong management NFL skills of Jerry is trying to win each and every season. Some times he does and sometimes he doesn't, but the principal is a winner's base. A fan's value or not. The Cowboys do show up for the game.
Maybe that is the actually the problem. It takes a vision to build a legit team, it does not happen in 1 year. It takes like a 3-5 plan to build a roster.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Maybe that is the actually the problem. It takes a vision to build a legit team, it does not happen in 1 year. It takes like a 3-5 plan to build a roster.
If the passing game continues to improve the offense will improve accross the board. Elliott is lead dog now until it is taken from him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If the passing game continues to improve the offense will improve accross the board. Elliott is lead dog now until it is taken from him.
Still on the right side of 30 years old, there's plenty of tread left on Elliott's tires, seeing as he produced nearly 1,000 yards from scrimmage and five touchdowns for the Patriots in only five starts last season; and that's not including a wheel route he turned into a 70-yard touchdown that was called back due to penalty on a teammate.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ezekiel-elliott-opens-up-about-cowboys-reunion

shabazz

Reaction score
idk why people scare of rebuilding in the nfl just in general not any one here but just in general

u can rebuild in 1-3 year in the nfl it is not like baseball or some thing

i wish this team would rebuild they been spinning they wheel for a long time
What and potentially destroy a regular season queen that's gotten it's azzes handed to them in the playoffs the last 8 years with this current crew?

Chasing6

Reaction score
idk why people scare of rebuilding in the nfl just in general not any one here but just in general

u can rebuild in 1-3 year in the nfl it is not like baseball or some thing

i wish this team would rebuild they been spinning they wheel for a long time
I am not afraid. You could let Dak walk trade CD and Micha and rebuild very quickly.

Problem would still remain the same with GM Jethro not knowing how to build a team.