Dallas Mavericks trading for Kristaps Porzingis

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Im interested to see what NY does in FA. Ive heard they could major players in the KD sweepstakes. Kyrie returning to Boston also isnt as set in stone as it was in October and NY would be his preferred place. Knox and Smith can then be moved for a 3rd star. I think I'd hold on to Nkilakina since he has a good skill to be a contribute as a role player on a good team.

It looks to me like NY is gear for a FA push

**Spoiler alert**

No free agent worth the max will sign up for this. Kevin Durant isn't that dumb, Kyrie Irving is gonna probably join Lebron if they can get Anthony Davis, Klay Thompson and Jimmy Butler aren't #1 guys and wouldn't come here anyway.

And it looks like we don't even have access to Dallas' pick this year *if* it falls in the top 5, so this is just a bad deal

bb721

Reaction score
They literally got Porzingis in a salary dump...

The only silver lining is if NY gets Dallas pick, which can only happen if it’s 1-5 otherwise ATL gets it. And that is pretty unlikely at this point and I’m not even sure if it’s included in the trade.

Actually the Knicks got 2 first round picks in the trade.

Hardline

Reaction score
All I know is Doncic and KP are going to have to do something about those lame haircuts.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm a Mavs fan, I thought we were going to be terrible for a while.

Then Luka showed up, still thought we'd be bad but man that dude is insane.

Now Porzingis. Gotta admit I'm a little surprised.

Pretty solid move. That duo is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Actually the Knicks got 2 first round picks in the trade.

None of which hold any real promise. I don't quite get how they are able to trade us their 2021 pick since it would go to ATL *if* the Mavs picked in the top 5, but realistically, I expect the Mavs to be a playoff team in 2021 and beyond. This was just a bad over reaction and a lesson on what NOT TO DO as a GM. Trade Porzingis next year if he doesn't want to be here. Waiting until after the draft, assuming the Mavs don't win the lottery and pick 1-4, they can trade their 2020 pick and 2022 pick as opposed to their 2021 and 2023. Hell, their could be another team willing to part with a 2019 pick, I don't know. Unless you have reason to think Dennis Smith Jr., is gonna turn into Steph Curry between now and the end of the season (which he does, we could have drafted him!) then there's no reason to make this deal now.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It's really just poor management all around. Why not even put in the right to swap picks in 2019 and 2020. Imagine how stupid this trade will look if Dallas still picks ahead of NY. My god, I could do better than this crap.

From now on, when ever anyone cries about Jerry Jones, I'm gonna tell them try rooting for the Knicks. Complete and utter ineptitude. And if you think the cowboys are poorly run, we at least have fun in the regular season and get an occasional post season win. I couldn't write a believable story about a dumb sports organization and include half of the **** we've done since 2002 or so.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's really just poor management all around. Why not even put in the right to swap picks in 2019 and 2020. Imagine how stupid this trade will look if Dallas still picks ahead of NY. My god, I could do better than this crap.

From now on, when ever anyone cries about Jerry Jones, I'm gonna tell them try rooting for the Knicks. Complete and utter ineptitude. And if you think the cowboys are poorly run, we at least have fun in the regular season and get an occasional post season win. I couldn't write a believable story about a dumb sports organization and include half of the **** we've done since 2002 or so.

I think the plan in NY is simply to tank and draft Zion.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think the plan in NY is simply to tank and draft Zion.

having the worst record gives you a 14% chance. I would have rather dealt him to even the Lakers who may miss the post season or Boston for the Sacramento pick since it is unprotected. Hell, I'd trade it to New Orleans for not even AD. We could have likely done any of that and not messed up the tank.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Every time I see this thread, I think it says Dallas Mavericks trading for Krispy Kreme

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
having the worst record gives you a 14% chance. I would have rather dealt him to even the Lakers who may miss the post season or Boston for the Sacramento pick since it is unprotected. Hell, I'd trade it to New Orleans for not even AD. We could have likely done any of that and not messed up the tank.

Its 14% more of a chance than they have now. I think another issue with Porzingis is that he's not the kind of superstar thats going to go out and recruit max contract guys and convince them to play in NY. He's a complimentary piece more than someone you build around. In Dallas, it won't matter b/c not many top tier free agents want Dallas. Dennis Smith jr is a nice start in the back court.....next year they add Zion or RJ Barrett. Maybe free agents start looking at NY as a place with a nice young nucleus of talent where they can win.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Its 14% more of a chance than they have now.

Not sure what you mean, NY already has the worst record and assuming just like the worst 3 teams. Assuming they stay among the bottom 3, they have only a 14% chance, where is the 14% more coming from? Atlanta gets Dallas' pick 6-30 and Dallas keeps their pick 1-5. We at best get the 2021 pick.

I think another issue with Porzingis is that he's not the kind of superstar thats going to go out and recruit max contract guys and convince them to play in NY. He's a complimentary piece more than someone you build around. In Dallas, it won't matter b/c not many top tier free agents want Dallas. Dennis Smith jr is a nice start in the back court.....next year they add Zion or RJ Barrett. Maybe free agents start looking at NY as a place with a nice young nucleus of talent where they can win.

I like Porzingis, but I don't really care they we dealt him. The return is what sucks. This was a salary dump. We signed Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee to bad deals and we gave up Porzingis to get out of those deals, when no free agent actually worth the max, KD, AD for example, are coming here. Now, realistically could we have lost Porzingis for nothing (due to inept moves THIS front office made in 2016-2018), yes, so I get trading him. This was just a bad return.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
**Spoiler alert**

No free agent worth the max will sign up for this. Kevin Durant isn't that dumb, Kyrie Irving is gonna probably join Lebron if they can get Anthony Davis, Klay Thompson and Jimmy Butler aren't #1 guys and wouldn't come here anyway.

And it looks like we don't even have access to Dallas' pick this year *if* it falls in the top 5, so this is just a bad deal

Lakers if they keep their young core, along with a Klay Thompson, Durant, Leonard, Irving or whoever this summer, will have a better roster than the Mavs. Doubt the AD deal goes thru.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Lakers if they keep their young core, along with a Klay Thompson, Durant, Leonard, Irving or whoever this summer, will have a better roster than the Mavs. Doubt the AD deal goes thru.

I mean, probably...not sure what that has to with anything. Lakers > Mavs > Middle school JV team > Knicks

coogrfan

Reaction score
If KP comes back at anything close to what he was before his injury this is an absolute steal for the Mavs. Well worth rolling the dice, imo.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure what you mean, NY already has the worst record and assuming just like the worst 3 teams. Assuming they stay among the bottom 3, they have only a 14% chance, where is the 14% more coming from? Atlanta gets Dallas' pick 6-30 and Dallas keeps their pick 1-5. We at best get the 2021 pick.

I like Porzingis, but I don't really care they we dealt him. The return is what sucks. This was a salary dump. We signed Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee to bad deals and we gave up Porzingis to get out of those deals, when no free agent actually worth the max, KD, AD for example, are coming here. Now, realistically could we have lost Porzingis for nothing (due to inept moves THIS front office made in 2016-2018), yes, so I get trading him. This was just a bad return.

I meant the Knicks have a 0% of landing anyone good in free agency. So, a 14% chance at Zion in the lottery is better than their current position. If PZ comes back and plays well, NY might play themselves out of the lottery.

Who did you think you'd get from the Lakers? Lonzo Ball? I'd rather have Smith. Pelicans?