Dallas Mavericks trading for Kristaps Porzingis

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I meant the Knicks have a 0% of landing anyone good in free agency. So, a 14% chance at Zion in the lottery is better than their current position.

I agree, no free agent is signing here, but our current odds are 14%, so I don't get what you're saying here. In fact the 3 worst teams all have 14% so we likely were gonna stay in that position no matter what

If PZ comes back and plays well, NY might play themselves out of the lottery.

Porzingis isn't playing this year. He has some incentive to now, to get some reps in with Doncic, but he wasn't playing this year with us

Who did you think you'd get from the Lakers? Lonzo Ball? I'd rather have Smith. Pelicans?

I'd rather have an additional 2019 pick that maybe we could use to move up in the draft and get 2 players. In 2019, all we will have to show for this trade is Dennis Smith Jr.. Same for 2020. Maybe, by 2021, we'll have an additional draft pick that will probably not land in the lottery. I'm sorry, just give me picks over Dennis Smith Jr.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Ok............Mavs ROCK! Haopy?

I don't particularly care for the Mavericks so I'm not sure where this is going. My only point was free agents aren't going to rush to NY, so trading Porzingis just to clear bad contracts is dumb. Especially when everyone knew it was a bad contract from the start (specifically Hardaway).

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I don't particularly care for the Mavericks so I'm not sure where this is going. My only point was free agents aren't going to rush to NY, so trading Porzingis just to clear bad contracts is dumb. Especially when everyone knew it was a bad contract from the start (specifically Hardaway).

Man, forums are free talk. No biggie. Im gonna smoke out now anyways. Peace.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Here's the new Mav's logo:

e6KmIOk.jpg

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Did the Mavs offer of starting players and multiple first round picks for Porzingis just set the market for Anthony Davis?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did the Mavs offer of starting players and multiple first round picks for Porzingis just set the market for Anthony Davis?
No. Different trades. Mavs also too alot of bad salary too. Thats another key element to this trade. Good thing for the Mavs its really a non issue for them. Hardaway should even be useful to them

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So my question to Mavs is who ultimately do you think would pair best with Luca and KP?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
All the evidence is really pointing toward the Knicks panicked and took the first deal offered to them (or at the very least, a too early one). Rival execs are coming out and saying they never got a chance to make an offer. Good move by the Mavs and I don't blame Porzingis for wanting out. This is truly a clown show...

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
No. Different trades. Mavs also too alot of bad salary too. Thats another key element to this trade. Good thing for the Mavs its really a non issue for them. Hardaway should even be useful to them
So should the Pels expect less for one of the top 5 players in the league?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So you agree they set the market. To me, "setting the market" means you have to give at least as much as they did to get a comparable or better player.
In that sense yes. Especially if you replace taking on a really bad contract for giving up young talent (which is a compare able exchange. Knicks haul was basically 1) Talented prospect. 2) 2 firsts. 3) shedding Hardaways contract 4) Bring in expiring deals in Jordan and Mathews

It appears what NO is looking for from the Lakers is three talented prospects and two firsts. So the deals could actually be very similar in terms of assets changing hands. The difference being NO would be get more tangible assets, with NY getting more cap assets.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
All the evidence is really pointing toward the Knicks panicked and took the first deal offered to them (or at the very least, a too early one). Rival execs are coming out and saying they never got a chance to make an offer. Good move by the Mavs and I don't blame Porzingis for wanting out. This is truly a clown show...
I don't know about that. DSJ is still young and he is capable of playing good basketball. I think the Knicks realize that they need a pg but the reality is the NBA doesn't have great pgs who are available and young enough to adapt their game depending on the coach.

I do see a lot of Steve Francis in him where he wants to do something with the ball. He isn't a playmaker but I think he can score if he has other talent around him and this might be a setup for the Knicks to get a All-Star FA or two during the offseason.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They have control over his next deal. Any deal he would sign with someone else they can match. Plus they can offer him the most money
DAL has known him since he was about 16.
DAL front office is the best in the NBA in European ties.

He will def re-sign.

Issue is when will he be 100% and what can they put around those 2 guys.
Obviously PG and Big Man mean you've filled the 2 hardest spots to fill.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They literally got Porzingis in a salary dump...

The only silver lining is if NY gets Dallas pick, which can only happen if it’s 1-5 otherwise ATL gets it. And that is pretty unlikely at this point and I’m not even sure if it’s included in the trade.
Not part of the trade but doesn't matter, DAL can't get top 5 anyway in all reality.
They are like 11th or 12th from the bottom right now with more than 4 teams full on tanking it up.