Twitter: Dallas rejects trade offers for LVE

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

An informed source is just like an unnamed source which is nothing but a sportswriter's license to make up stuff to get clicks. If the info was real and they had an actual source they would use it. The Cowboys didn't offer the 5th year option so if teams are really interested in trading for a player with an injury history playing on his last year of his rookie contract they would be listening to all real actual offers.

Flamma

Reaction score
That's nonsense! First, I only advocated he be tagged if he balls out this coming season. Once he's proven he's worth of a top-dollar contract, we should have no problem giving him one. If he's not worthy of the tag then let him go. I'm not recommending the Cowboys take this route. I'm just correcting your suggestion there was no option to extend him without competing with the rest of the league. IMO, that's an ignorant statement. The tag gives you ample time to negotiate a long-term deal without competing with the rest of the league for his services.

Well, there is no option to extend. Extensions are signed with a year left on an existing contract. It would be a new contract after franchise tagging him. But obviously I wasn't considering tagging him in my initial post. We don't know if they'll tag him or not, and it's practically the same thing. Look at Cooper, Dak, and Tank. They didn't have to tag Cooper because they worked out a deal. But all 3 players played the last year of their contract. Dallas paid top dollar for all 3.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well, there is no option to extend. Extensions are signed with a year left on an existing contract. It would be a new contract after franchise tagging him. But obviously I wasn't considering tagging him in my initial post. We don't know if they'll tag him or not, and it's practically the same thing. Look at Cooper, Dak, and Tank. They didn't have to tag Cooper because they worked out a deal. But all 3 players played the last year of their contract. Dallas paid top dollar for all 3.
Now you want to play word gymnastics with what you are saying. What does "extend" mean? There is nothing in that definition about it being done with a year left on the existing contract. Yes, there was an extension option, (his 5th-year option) that did not get activated which was to be done a year before his current contract expires but that's not what you were talking about originally. Words have meaning and your words indicated there was no option for his services to continue beyond his current contract without competing with the rest of the league. I'm just showing how that's not true by introducing the option of franchise tag to the conversation and expressly added to only do so if he has balled out this year and thus shown he's worthy of such a deal. Now you are expressing reluctance to ever tag a player because the resulting negotiated contact ends up being too expensive. That's what happens when a player plays well and you want to keep them. You complain about Byron being lost because we did not pay the man, well make up your mind.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
An informed source is just like an unnamed source which is nothing but a sportswriter's license to make up stuff to get clicks. If the info was real and they had an actual source they would use it. The Cowboys didn't offer the 5th year option so if teams are really interested in trading for a player with an injury history playing on his last year of his rookie contract they would be listening to all real actual offers.

No journalist reveal their source, what are you talking about? Also, see all the comments about comp picks and why is makes sense to reject lowball offers.

Flamma

Reaction score
Now you want to play word gymnastics with what you are saying. What does "extend" mean? There is nothing in that definition about it being done with a year left on the existing contract. Yes, there was an extension option, (his 5th-year option) that did not get activated which was to be done a year before his current contract expires but that's not what you were talking about originally. Words have meaning and your words indicated there was no option for his services to continue beyond his current contract without competing with the rest of the league. I'm just showing how that's not true by introducing the option of franchise tag to the conversation and expressly added to only do so if he has balled out this year and thus shown he's worthy of such a deal. Now you are expressing reluctance to ever tag a player because the resulting negotiated contact ends up being too expensive. That's what happens when a player plays well and you want to keep them. You complain about Byron being lost because we did not pay the man, well make up your mind.

Yes. I admit I did not enter in the possibility of a tag. I didn't do it because in my own head it wasn't needed. My mind was just on the money angle. I also agree that words mean something. You can't extend something that doesn't exist. In NFL terms, an extension requires at least one year left on a contract. By definition an extension adds to an existing contract. Like a hair extension. You have to have hair for an extension. But that's not even the point. Yes. You brought up an alternative with a tag. But one that really makes no difference when it comes to money. Sometimes even an extension doesn't make a difference. Sometimes we know a player is going to be asking for a ton of money regardless. I'm just saying LVE would be much cheaper now than if he kills it in 2021.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yes. I admit I did not enter in the possibility of a tag. I didn't do it because in my own head it wasn't needed. My mind was just on the money angle. I also agree that words mean something. You can't extend something that doesn't exist. In NFL terms, an extension requires at least one year left on a contract. By definition an extension adds to an existing contract. Like a hair extension. You have to have hair for an extension. But that's not even the point. Yes. You brought up an alternative with a tag. But one that really makes no difference when it comes to money. Sometimes even an extension doesn't make a difference. Sometimes we know a player is going to be asking for a ton of money regardless. I'm just saying LVE would be much cheaper now than if he kills it in 2021.
Let's end this. We all know LVE's 5th-year option was denied for good reason. There was no reason for you to talk to us like children by making a statement to convey there is no option to extend, it's a given and we aren't stupid. What I think you meant to say was we should sign him now on the cheap because by the end of the season his new contract could be much more costly and there is no guarantee the highest bid for his services will be by our team. You did not even think of the franchise tag option.

What I think the Cowboys are doing is taking a gamble. IMO, they are prepared to let him walk if he does not prove himself however, in the event he does very well, they are prepared to tag their former 1st round pick and negotiate a nice payday for him to stay for several more seasons.

We have different takes on what to do with LVE. We shall see which of us is correct. ;)

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
To an elite number 1 not a number 2.

Steelers got a 3 for Martavis Bryant, Detroit got a 3 for golden tate, Brandon Cooks has gone for a 1 three separate times in his career year despite being about the same statistically as Gallup in his 1 full season as a starter with Dak. Heck Oakland even got a 1 for Amari

Absolutely you could do better than whats likely a 4th round compensation pick in the 140+’s. And that’s if you don’t ever sign anyone to negate it

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I wonder what was offered. If it were a first rounder I would have taken that in heartbeat.

Yeah, it's hard to judge this when we don't even know what was offered. I agree with you. I would have gone with a 1st. I'd doubt that was offered.

Flamma

Reaction score
Let's end this. We all know LVE's 5th-year option was denied for good reason. There was no reason for you to talk to us like children by making a statement to convey there is no option to extend, it's a given and we aren't stupid. What I think you meant to say was we should sign him now on the cheap because by the end of the season his new contract could be much more costly and there is no guarantee the highest bid for his services will be by our team. You did not even think of the franchise tag option.

What I think the Cowboys are doing is taking a gamble. IMO, they are prepared to let him walk if he does not prove himself however, in the event he does very well, they are prepared to tag their former 1st round pick and negotiate a nice payday for him to stay for several more seasons.

We have different takes on what to do with LVE. We shall see which of us is correct. ;)

You pretty much got it right. All except the part about not thinking of the FT option. I've had this conversation before, and every time someone brings up the franchise tag option. Kind of hard to forget it. But your right for the most part. I just hate prove it years.

SSoup

Reaction score
They decline his 5th year deal to refuse the trade him? Maybe an extension is imminent
I wouldn't mind hanging onto him for the year.

We've got rookies who will need time before they're ready to not look like rookies, and one of them took the entire 2020 season off. I like both of them but if you put a gun to my head and tell me to bet if either of them is likely to be a stud for 17 games this season, I bet no.

And Keanu Neal is transitioning to LB. And Jaylon is supposedly looking worse than normal in OTAs.

Even if he's not in our long-term plans, I could easily see a scenario where LVE is our best linebacker for a month or two early this season while we're waiting for the rookies and the guy changing positions to find their groove.

Also, I can't imagine anyone is offering a decent draft pick right now anyway. His neck issues and his bad play cratered his stock, I think. If LVE avoids any neck injuries for the season and looks pretty good, he might be in line to land a contract that would fetch us a better comp pick than whatever conditional 6th or 7th rounder someone is willing to throw at us today while his stock is still so low.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No journalist reveal their source, what are you talking about? Also, see all the comments about comp picks and why is makes sense to reject lowball offers.

First off we hear all the time when there is an actual source that a sportswriter or analyst will say something like I spoke to (name) and he told me (what they are reporting). We've also been told by a couple of retired reporters that they hear a rumor from someone not directly involved with whatever is being reported and says something and the sportswriter uses "a source" and people think it is someone directly involved in whatever it is. Second in my comment you obviously missed the word IF as in "if teams are really interested in trading for a player with an injury history playing on his last year of his rookie contract they would be listening to all real actual offers". Now since there's just Slater's tweet using "informed source" wink wink but didn't specify what the trade offers were so where did you get any informed info on what exactly the offers were and that they were low ball offers? Now if you want to believe EVERYTHING EVERY sportswriter puts out and make your ASSUMPTIONS from those sportswriters that's fine with me, but don't expect everyone to believe in click bait as gospel truth.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Steelers got a 3 for Martavis Bryant, Detroit got a 3 for golden tate, Brandon Cooks has gone for a 1 three separate times in his career year despite being about the same statistically as Gallup in his 1 full season as a starter with Dak. Heck Oakland even got a 1 for Amari

Absolutely you could do better than whats likely a 4th round compensation pick in the 140+’s. And that’s if you don’t ever sign anyone to negate it
Again, nobody's giving up a 2nd rounder if they did he'd prob be gone. The best you'll get is a 3rd rounder and I'd rather just keep him for this year and get the 3rd to 4th round comp pick a year down the road same as what the front office is thinking.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Again, nobody's giving up a 2nd rounder if they did he'd prob be gone. The best you'll get is a 3rd rounder and I'd rather just keep him for this year and get the 3rd to 4th round comp pick a year down the road same as what the front office is thinking.

Here's the problem with that thinking. Not every team with a player who leaves in free agency gets a comp pick. There are several factors that goes into determining what teams get what picks based on which free agents leave AND what free agents that team signs from other teams. Right now it is not a sure fire written in stone thing that the Cowboys would get any comp pick if LVE leaves as a free agent. The other thing is if LVE is traded this off season that pick would be for the 2022 draft but if in fact the Cowboys would get a comp pick for LVE it wouldn't be until the 2023 draft. Sometimes I do prefer to wait for a possible comp pick but with LVE and his injury history I'd rather take the sure thing of a trade rather than hope for a comp pick that might not come. Oh please tell us when Jerry and Stephen personally told you their plans for LVE and comp picks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I get the feeling the Cowboys are hoping the LVE stays healthy this year. Then they plan to have a LB crew of LVE, Parsons and Neal, with Cox ready to replace Neal in 2023.
You Jaylon Smith haters crack me up. The Cowboys are only worried about 2021. The only linebackers that are in the long term plans are Parsons and Cox. It looks like Parsons is the only linebacker that will be on the field for the majority of the snaps because he seems to be getting reps at multiple linebackers positions. LVE and Neal will share the Will while Jaylon plays the Sam and Mike. This should benefit them all because their snaps will be closer to 50% instead of 90%. I want them all to succeed. We should worry about 2022 next season.

Batman1980

Reaction score
You Jaylon Smith haters crack me up. The Cowboys are only worried about 2021. The only linebackers that are in the long term plans are Parsons and Cox. It looks like Parsons is the only linebacker that will be on the field for the majority of the snaps because he seems to be getting reps at multiple linebackers positions. LVE and Neal will share the Will while Jaylon plays the Sam and Mike. This should benefit them all because their snaps will be closer to 50% instead of 90%. I want them all to succeed. We should worry about 2022 next season.

Taking Tony Romo's number is only going to amplify the criticism this season if he doesn't play well.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Here's the problem with that thinking. Not every team with a player who leaves in free agency gets a comp pick. There are several factors that goes into determining what teams get what picks based on which free agents leave AND what free agents that team signs from other teams. Right now it is not a sure fire written in stone thing that the Cowboys would get any comp pick if LVE leaves as a free agent. The other thing is if LVE is traded this off season that pick would be for the 2022 draft but if in fact the Cowboys would get a comp pick for LVE it wouldn't be until the 2023 draft. Sometimes I do prefer to wait for a possible comp pick but with LVE and his injury history I'd rather take the sure thing of a trade rather than hope for a comp pick that might not come. Oh please tell us when Jerry and Stephen personally told you their plans for LVE and comp picks.
Went from Gallup to LVE for whatever reason. Of course there are factors but incase you haven't noticed we have been leaning on the side of letting guys walk for comp picks and signing second tier FA or guys who were cut so they won't count against the comp picks. It is exactly what I said it is, nobody is giving up a 2 for Gallup or anyone else scheduled to become a FA next year. A guy like Gallup will almost certainly get a big contract worthy of a 3rd round comp or a 4th at worst. LVE is in a different boat, I think we will try to resign him at a modest deal unless he has a pro bowl season in which case someone will over pay and we will land a 3rd or 4th.

nobody

Reaction score

Jaylon has proven over the past two seasons that 2018 was either a fluke or he's all about business decisions. He either has terrible instincts and is out of position for making good plays and has to catch up from behind or intentionally avoids contact and lets runners have lots of extra yards so he doesn't get hit and tackles from behind. So he's not a playmaker. I hope he changes and succeeds because it's good for the Cowboys. I don't see it given just how lost he looked out there last season (and the previous season too.)

He's like the defensive version of Dez. Relying way too much on athleticism and not taking the rest of it seriously enough (For Dez it was running routes. For Jaylon, I doubt he spends much time studying or just doesn't get it.)

I do believe he'll look a bit better this year since the D-line has been addressed more. Hopefully with other LBers out there who are hungry he'll feel motivated to actually have a clue.