Dallas restructures Tyron to league minimum

Common Sense

Reaction score
Where are you getting this $3M OVER number from? According to Over the Cap's latest tally, Dallas has $311K in cap room with Dunbar and Jones' tenders INCLUDED. Once they restructure Tyron, they'll have $8.5M. They still have a couple more options to create WELL OVER $20M in cap room.

I think what happened was that Over the Cap updated the overall salary cap figure but hadn't added Dunbar and Jones to the table that includes individual player salaries when I looked at it earlier. They still appear twice in the column that includes free agents on the salary cap calculator page. I was subtracting two RFA tenders from the $312K figure. That's my bad.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We could fit Hardy, Peterson and Suh into the cap this year while reserving 13M for the Franchise Tag.

I know this because of math.

This line of thinking was before Suh's 19m a year, but your point is lost on the masses.

They are convinced that taking a 27m hit on Romo this year is better than taking a 14m now and spreading out the other 13m hit later as the cap goes up. By the time Romo's dead money actually hits the team in 2018 the cap will have gone up over 25m.

Even if the cap only goes up 7m next year and Romo retires early and all the dead money hits at once: 27/143 isn't far off 31/150.

Why take the worst case scenario this year when we have plenty of people to sign???

skinsscalper

Reaction score
The second 7.5m is supposed to guarantee on Friday. That would finish of all guaranteed monies owed to Romo at a total of 55m.
Romo signed a 6 year contract extension with the Cowboys on March 31, 2013. The contract is worth $108,000,000 and contains a $25,000,000 signing bonus. Romo’s 2013 and 2014 base salaries were fully guaranteed upon signing. $15 million of his 2015 salary is guaranteed for injury only with $7.5 million becoming fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2014 League Year. Another $7.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2015 League Year. If Romo fails to participate in 90% of the offseason workout program his salary will de-escalate by $500,000.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be because I'm no expert on this stuff) but just because Romo's contract is guaranteed doesn't mean he can't restructure it even after the 3rd day of the new league year, does it? Didn't Brady restructure the guaranteed portion of his contract late in the season? It's still guaranteed because it's converted to SB anyway, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Thanks in advance.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be because I'm no expert on this stuff) but just because Romo's contract is guaranteed doesn't mean he can't restructure it even after the 3rd day of the new league year, does it? Didn't Brady restructure the guaranteed portion of his contract late in the season? It's still guaranteed because it's converted to SB anyway, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Thanks in advance.

The league year starts on March 10th. Romo's contract guarantees on Thurs March 12th. It can be restructured at any time before the actual season starts in September, but Dallas needs the space now with Free Agency starting.

I'm pretty sure the only way to get space once the season starts is to sign a player to an extension that would lower their cap hit.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
The league year starts on March 10th. Romo's contract guarantees on Thurs March 12th. It can be restructured at any time before the actual season starts in September, but Dallas needs the space now with Free Agency starting.

I'm pretty sure the only way to get space once the season starts is to sign a player to an extension that would lower their cap hit.

I was under the impression that a player could restructure his contract at any point in the league year. Also, Brady didn't extend did he?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I was under the impression that a player could restructure his contract at any point in the league year. Also, Brady didn't extend did he?

The point of a restructure is to convert a large portion of his base salary to a signing bonus and pay it as a lump sum and spread the hit over the remaining years on his deal. This provides the team with more cap room. It is usually down before Free Agency starts. Once the season starts the player has already been getting paid, so a restructure seems redundant. But I guess if the team really needed room they could do so.

As far as Brady goes, his contract was do to become fully guaranteed last December when the regular season ended. In exchange for forgoing the guarantees, the Pats gave him 3m more for 2015-17. I don't recall any restructure.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
@DMN_George: Dallas Cowboys free up $8 million in salary cap space by restructuring LT Tyron Smith's contract | @dallasnews http://t.co/EMzyf2BsTO

Mike fisher posted other day but it is official tonight per machota and George

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Wonder why they did this now. They were not over the cap so no need to do this as FA is beginning unless they have someone in mind to sign pretty quickly.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Wonder why they did this now. They were not over the cap so no need to do this as FA is beginning unless they have someone in mind to sign pretty quickly.

The team needed to create cap space in order to have room for the deals they've already made and will make with free agency starting tomorrow afternoon.

Tyron Smith's base salary was already guaranteed because Dallas intended all along to restructure the contract this year in order to create salary cap room.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
The team needed to create cap space in order to have room for the deals they've already made and will make with free agency starting tomorrow afternoon.

Tyron Smith's base salary was already guaranteed because Dallas intended all along to restructure the contract this year in order to create salary cap room.

Unless overthecap.com was wrong, Cowboys had 300k in cap soace befire the restructure. That is with the tenders and Free contract, so I don't see why it had to be done today. Unless they have a move they want to make very soon there was no need. Timing is just strange if they did it just to do it.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Unless overthecap.com was wrong, Cowboys had 300k in cap soace befire the restructure. That is with the tenders and Free contract, so I don't see why it had to be done today. Unless they have a move they want to make very soon there was no need. Timing is just strange if they did it just to do it.

Dont know what is strange about it, FA begins tomorrow, and without some green backs available, you aint buying much.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Dont know what is strange about it, FA begins tomorrow, and without some green backs available, you aint buying much.

Its not needed to negotiate and could be triggered any time if a deal was agreed to. Why was it done on the eve of FA if not needed immediately?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Its not needed to negotiate and could be triggered any time if a deal was agreed to. Why was it done on the eve of FA if not needed immediately?

They are going to need a lot more than 300k for the rest of the season. They were going to do it since the day they signed the contract. The new league year and FA starts tomorrow, they need the space. They need to Romo or Carr(pay cut) as well