Dallas restructures Tyron to league minimum

endersdragon

Reaction score
And We'll be complaining come September when the pass rush looks exactly like it did in 2014.

So what is the most you will be willing to pay for Hardy? I mean according to a lot of you he is the only one who could help our defense, and I can assure you other teams are saying the same thing, so $15 million sound good?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Tyron will see every dollar of his contract, that's why the structure was so great for him.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Honestly I think we do make a move in free agency, and we might push at least some of Romo's money back for that very reason, but it won't be the kind of move that some people in here are hoping for. In other words it will be closer to the Melton move than the Carr move, there are about 7 really good FA DEs available who would easily improve this defense, we will go for one of them I bet, but I also bet it won't be Hardy.

Common Sense

Reaction score
We could fit Hardy, Peterson and Suh into the cap this year while reserving 13M for the Franchise Tag.

I know this because of math.

I'm sorry, but that's complete and utter nonsense. But by all means, show that math and how it fits into the five-year window that teams use to plan for the salary cap. If the cap didn't matter, it wouldn't exist. The Commanders wouldn't suck as much. Demarcus Ware would still be a Cowboy. You see where I'm going with this.

endersdragon

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that's complete and utter nonsense. But by all means, show that math and how it fits into the five-year window that teams use to plan for the salary cap. If the cap didn't matter, it wouldn't exist, the Commanders wouldn't suck as much, and Demarcus Ware would still be a Cowboy.

I am pretty sure he was joking... some of you need to learn what that is lol.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Let's breakdown that math.

Restructure Romo. Get Carr to take a pay cut or June 1st or restructure. Including Tyron's restructure we'd have 32M in cap space. Some of that is now eaten up with the Beasely and Free deals. But still plenty to fit in 1st year cap holds for the guys I mentioned. They could also free up more money with other restructures.

This is cap 101.

Would it be prudent? No. That's why they aren't doing it.

But the point remains the same. Dez isn't keeping the team from doing what they want to do.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I don't know. I see this repeated in earnest time and time again on here. It's become part of the local groupthink. I partially blame Blogging the Boys.

You see it repeated because the math is pretty straightforward.

But again the point is that Dez isn't holding us up from doing what we want to do.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Restructure Romo. Get Carr to take a pay cut or June 1st or restructure. Including Tyron's restructure we'd have 32M in cap space. Some of that is now eaten up with the Beasely and Free deals. But still plenty to fit in 1st year cap holds for the guys I mentioned. They could also free up more money with other restructures.

This is cap 101.

Restructuring Romo saves about 13 million.
Brandon Carr being a June 1st cut doesn't go into effect until June. So unless he takes a huge paycut, you're missing the math there too.
Tyron Smith brings that to 21 million.

Suh alone is 19 million. And as you have admitted you aren't accounting for Beasley or Free's contracts, but you have us signing Peterson and Hardy too?

Common Sense

Reaction score

This is cap 101.

As it stands now, the team has about $5.5 million in salary cap room, maybe a little less. That's going to sign your rookie draft class and give you the usual salary cap cushion going into the season. Making Carr a June 1st cut doesn't free up money to sign free agents who will be long gone before then. Let's not be silly.

Restructuring Romo to the full amount would give you an extra $15 million or so at the most. With that $15 million, you're going to sign a DT who just inked a $19M/year average contract along with two other blue chip players and still find a starting RB, LB (or two), punt returner, etc.? That's the kind of math that gets you fired as a GM.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
As it stands now, the team has about $5.5 million in salary cap room, maybe a little less. That's going to sign your rookie draft class and give you the usual salary cap cushion going into the season. Making Carr a June 1st cut doesn't free up money to sign free agents who will be long gone before then. Let's not be silly.

Restructuring Romo to the full amount would give you an extra $15 million or so at the most. With that $15 million, you're going to sign a DT who just inked a $19M/year average contract along with two other blue chip players and still find a starting RB, LB (or two), punt returner, etc.? That's the kind of math that gets you fired as a GM.

You wouldn't need to account for the rookie pool until after June 1 so cutting Carr would more than take care of that.

Common Sense

Reaction score
You wouldn't need to account for the rookie pool until after June 1 so cutting Carr would more than take care of that.

Yeah, that's true, but the team doesn't want to actually have to cut Carr. If they used all their money on hypothetical blue chip free agents, that would tip their hand and Carr's agent wouldn't have to budge as much on a pay cut if he thought there was a team interested in paying him more later in free agency. It's in the team's advantage to not rely on cutting Carr to fund the draft.

Also, the savings for cutting Carr this year are minimal over the span of five years, which is what the team generally uses to manage the cap, so you're still at a net loss after factoring in his replacement, even if it gives you relief for a brief window in the summer of 2015.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Suh will receive $55 million in the first 3 years. Do you really think his first year cap hit is going to be a couple million or something?

That includes a very large signing bonus whose cap hit will be spread over 5 years. His 2nd year salary could be large and his first year salary small.

These things happen all the time.

But again.... Which is how this conversation began.... Dez isn't impacting what we want to do.

Common Sense

Reaction score
That includes a very large signing bonus whose cap hit will be spread over 5 years. His 2nd year salary could be large and his first year salary small.

These things happen all the time.

But again.... Which is how this conversation began.... Dez isn't impacting what we want to do.

Oh, I'm with you on the Dez thing. I just disagree about being able to hypothetically sign those three guys without making some drastic moves. Even if we were to assume that Suh's first year salary is the veteran minimum, his bonus money must be disgusting to get to that number.