Dallas should trade for Clowney

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We have 5 of them already but sure let’s get one more...

I should have been more specific - pass rushing 3Ts. How many of them do you see signed to our roster for next year?

I see Crawford and Hill.

Ky31

Reaction score
I think it would have to be a sign-and-trade deal, and I don't see Dallas being interested in that after what it paid to Lawrence.
Clowney has no choice but to play under the tag this yr if he wants to play...even if he’s traded he cannot negotiate a new contract until after the season...the franchise tag deadline was July 15th, after this date no contract can be negotiated even in the event of a trade!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Hear me out and correct me if I’m wrong...

Clowney is in a contract year right?

If we give up a 2nd round pick for him then wouldn’t we receive a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder back for him?

I think for a 1 year rental having Clowney and DLaw as our D Ends would significantly increase our chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

Even if we need to sweeten the pot with someone like Crawford or whatever I think it’s a deal worth looking at.

Rumors that Philly want him too.

He’s going to be traded so why not go all in with this move?

If this was the scenario presented to me, yes, I would do this in a heart beat. Problem is that this is not the scenario we are dealing with here.

The entire reason Clowney is holding out is because the Texans franchised him as a LB with is around 12-14 mill if I remember correctly. Clowney says he is a DE and as we know from DLAW, the tag for a DE is $20 mill. That is why Clowney did not sign the tag and report with Houston.

So, now we know why he is holding out. Trading a pick for him does not eliminate this problem, Clowney will expect his new team to pay him as a DE, ergo $20 million. Clowney is not going to play under the LB tag for Dallas or any other team in the league, so you have to know this before you trade for him. So you are going to trade a 2nd rounder, probably higher, and have to pay him pretty much the same as DLAW. That is the real scenario we are looking at here fellas.

We still have Zeke, Dak, and Cooper to sign. You trade for Clowney and pay him DLaw money, how we going to afford to pay our triplets? Answer is we cant, at least not all of them. So who you willing to give up for Clowney? Dak, Zeke, or Cooper?

DanA

Reaction score
The Bears dolled out a 2019 1st, 2020 1st + 2019 3rd for Khalil Mack. Clowney won’t cost quite that much but the ball park is a 1st and then some more.

J-man

Reaction score
I hear they are seeking an OT in a trade for him. But the $ will be too much to keep him here.

Praxit

Reaction score
..you have 3 players who will eat most of the pie. With another half dozen on last year contracts. I dont think Dallas is smart enough to even get it right the first time. Clowney idea sounds fun, but not likely.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I get that thinking but if ever there was a year, it could be this one.

This would be the Charles Haley trade on steroids.

Do we even have the cap room this year to take on on his (franchise tagged) salary?
no it wouldn't you only get the guy for 1yr and hes a full FA, he has the power to veto the trade by simply not signing the FT , you cant trade guy without him under contract. so he chooses where he goes, he wont go without an new extension so what you pay this guy 20mil and wont pay your Actual Superstar home grown elite RB 15? just BAD ADVICE..bad trade at this point..we have Tank and Quinn plus DST By Committee cant have two rushers that cost that much when you cant even pay Zeke LMAO.. Haley was instant and stayed for 4 yrs or so and for sure didnt cost 20mil even with inflation..

SO BIG FAT NO..

How about we trade Dak to the colts., they need a QB...sure why not makes sese Dak wants more then offered.. so(shrug) Meh

thank god you guys arent real GMs

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hear me out and correct me if I’m wrong...

Clowney is in a contract year right?

If we give up a 2nd round pick for him then wouldn’t we receive a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder back for him?

I think for a 1 year rental having Clowney and DLaw as our D Ends would significantly increase our chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

Even if we need to sweeten the pot with someone like Crawford or whatever I think it’s a deal worth looking at.

Rumors that Philly want him too.

He’s going to be traded so why not go all in with this move?

If you can trade a Off-lineman for him and a mid pick go for it. The cap hit will be off -set from the monies we're already paying some of our off-lineman......like Rocky said...Go for it!!!!

Maybe we can win a Ravens 2000 type Superbowl???

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I just heard that dude on ESPN connecting Texans And Eagles as potential trade partners for. I hope that doesn't happen.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
no it wouldn't you only get the guy for 1yr and hes a full FA, he has the power to veto the trade by simply not signing the FT , you cant trade guy without him under contract. so he chooses where he goes, he wont go without an new extension so what you pay this guy 20mil and wont pay your Actual Superstar home grown elite RB 15? just BAD ADVICE..bad trade at this point..we have Tank and Quinn plus DST By Committee cant have two rushers that cost that much when you cant even pay Zeke LMAO.. Haley was instant and stayed for 4 yrs or so and for sure didnt cost 20mil even with inflation..

SO BIG FAT NO..

How about we trade Dak to the colts., they need a QB...sure why not makes sese Dak wants more then offered.. so(shrug) Meh

thank god you guys arent real GMs

I was responding to the poster who asked if we were one player away.

Calm down. Your "counterarguments" are ridiculous.

Players under the Franchise Tag are traded all the time. Now, a tagged player can make himself difficult to trade by telling teams he will not sign, thus making the new team reluctant to want to give up any compensation for him. But his rights belong to the team and thus, they can trade his rights. Your whole "u cant trade guy without him under contract " argument isn't English nor is it relevant, because of the Franchise Tag rules.

At no point did I suggest trading Dak, nor did I say I would give up a ton to get Clowney. Take your Fan Boy angst elsewhere.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If this was the scenario presented to me, yes, I would do this in a heart beat. Problem is that this is not the scenario we are dealing with here.

The entire reason Clowney is holding out is because the Texans franchised him as a LB with is around 12-14 mill if I remember correctly. Clowney says he is a DE and as we know from DLAW, the tag for a DE is $20 mill. That is why Clowney did not sign the tag and report with Houston.

So, now we know why he is holding out. Trading a pick for him does not eliminate this problem, Clowney will expect his new team to pay him as a DE, ergo $20 million. Clowney is not going to play under the LB tag for Dallas or any other team in the league, so you have to know this before you trade for him. So you are going to trade a 2nd rounder, probably higher, and have to pay him pretty much the same as DLAW. That is the real scenario we are looking at here fellas.

We still have Zeke, Dak, and Cooper to sign. You trade for Clowney and pay him DLaw money, how we going to afford to pay our triplets? Answer is we cant, at least not all of them. So who you willing to give up for Clowney? Dak, Zeke, or Cooper?

No team can/is paying him this year once trading for him.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
He said he wants to go to a contender, but he didn't say he wanted to go to us?

Does he see something we don't?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I was responding to the poster who asked if we were one player away.

Calm down. Your "counterarguments" are ridiculous.

Players under the Franchise Tag are traded all the time. Now, a tagged player can make himself difficult to trade by telling teams he will not sign, thus making the new team reluctant to want to give up any compensation for him. But his rights belong to the team and thus, they can trade his rights. Your whole "u cant trade guy without him under contract " argument isn't English nor is it relevant, because of the Franchise Tag rules.

At no point did I suggest trading Dak, nor did I say I would give up a ton to get Clowney. Take your Fan Boy angst elsewhere.

NO, until he signs the tag HES UNTRADEABLE..they can not trade a player who has yet to sign the tag unless he agrees, essentially its ano trade clause..

its ok maybe you werent paying attention..take your lack of knowledge and move on.. eat crow and thank me later..it would be a dumb trade..haleys was not one year rental who can do as he wishes when the years up and that it would take 19 mil or so to get him..

Sign Zeke lets move on..

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
NO, until he signs the tag HES UNTRADEABLE..they can not trade a player who has yet to sign the tag unless he agrees, essentially its ano trade clause..

its ok maybe you werent paying attention..take your lack of knowledge and move on.. eat crow and thank me later..it would be a dumb trade..haleys was not one year rental who can do as he wishes when the years up and that it would take 19 mil or so to get him..

Sign Zeke lets move on..

The player does have to sign the tag before that team can do anything. If he doesn't then he can do what Bell did last year.