Dallas should trade for Clowney

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Clowney is probably worth a 1st.. Here is the problem with their logic.

Clowney wants out and Houston doesn't want him. The only thing that will drive his price up is teams competing for his service. (kinda like how we overpaid for Amari)

Dallas wants Zeke and Zeke wants to play in Dallas. Also, Dallas doesn't have to do anything with Zeke. He can sign a contract or sit out and lose millions.

The situations are different.

Houston doesn't have to do anything with Clowney either. They can just let him sit.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Clowney is probably worth a 1st.. Here is the problem with their logic.

Clowney wants out and Houston doesn't want him. The only thing that will drive his price up is teams competing for his service. (kinda like how we overpaid for Amari)

Dallas wants Zeke and Zeke wants to play in Dallas. Also, Dallas doesn't have to do anything with Zeke. He can sign a contract or sit out and lose millions.

The situations are different.
regardless, not sure if anyone would pay a first for a RB.... no one did for Bell and he was tagged and Pittsburgh was willing to trade him. he sat out. Pittsburgh moved on.

in today's NFL, pass rushing DEs are valued way more than RBs. Lawrence a top 10, pass rusher got 20M. Zeke the arguable top 2 RB wants 15 (not sure if he will get it). bell got 13. teams just don't value RBs as much.

its obvious Zeke, although still under contract, wants a new deal and wants lots of money. so any team signing him is not getting a player with 2 years under his current contract, they have to give him a new contract. no different than Clowney in his last year (which he is playing).

so a 1st and 15 a year for a RB
or a 1st and 22 a year for a DE

not sure anyone would pay a 1st for zeke and hand out 15.

plus Gordon is in the same situation. holding out. and he may cost less, but in draft picks and contract.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hear me out and correct me if I’m wrong...

Clowney is in a contract year right?

If we give up a 2nd round pick for him then wouldn’t we receive a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder back for him?

I think for a 1 year rental having Clowney and DLaw as our D Ends would significantly increase our chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

Even if we need to sweeten the pot with someone like Crawford or whatever I think it’s a deal worth looking at.

Rumors that Philly want him too.

He’s going to be traded so why not go all in with this move?

With Miller hurt your trade sounds even better...Zeke for Clowney, straight up.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Houston doesn't have to do anything with Clowney either. They can just let him sit.

Well they won't get much compensation for him by just letting him sit and they want to trade him.

Clowney is going to come get his money so they'll have to pay him and it sounds like they are done with him.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I never thought I would ever say this but....we like our guys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well they won't get much compensation for him by just letting him sit and they want to trade him.

Clowney is going to come get his money so they'll have to pay him and it sounds like they are done with him.

If he's willing to sit under the franchise tag with Houston, why wouldn't he be willing to sit under the franchise tag with Dallas?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he's willing to sit under the franchise tag with Houston, why wouldn't he be willing to sit under the franchise tag with Dallas?

Because I think he's about as willing as Earl Thomas and almost all of the others to sit until it's time to start losing game checks. Those game checks will usually make guys who talk about sitting stand up.

dckid

Reaction score
Hear me out and correct me if I’m wrong...

Clowney is in a contract year right?

If we give up a 2nd round pick for him then wouldn’t we receive a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder back for him?

I think for a 1 year rental having Clowney and DLaw as our D Ends would significantly increase our chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

Even if we need to sweeten the pot with someone like Crawford or whatever I think it’s a deal worth looking at.

Rumors that Philly want him too.

He’s going to be traded so why not go all in with this move?
From my understanding the Texans need a LT and will trade Clooney for such player. If Skins were smart they would trade their disgruntled LT Trent Williams.
As far as the Cowboys, that is a good move in terms of stacking talent. Do we intend to sign him long term? Is he a trade chip if he has 18 sacks. If we had Sean Mcveigh I would have traded for him already as good teams nowadays stack talent at existing positions.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because I think he's about as willing as Earl Thomas and almost all of the others to sit until it's time to start losing game checks. Those game checks will usually make guys who talk about sitting stand up.

If that's the case, then why wouldn't he report with the Texans?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If that's the case, then why wouldn't he report with the Texans?

He probably will if they don't trade him.

What he is doing is normal.

When they start missing game checks is when you know they are serious. Remember Earl Thomas last year? He wasn't going to show up and then there he was week 1.

I don't think the Texans want him there so he's probably getting moved.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He probably will if they don't trade him.

What he is doing is normal.

When they start missing game checks is when you know they are serious. Remember Earl Thomas last year? He wasn't going to show up and then there he was week 1.

I don't think the Texans want him there so he's probably getting moved.

That may be true, but there best trade partner will be a team willing to give Clowney a long term contract. A team that isn't willing to do that won't give as much value because they won't get long term benefit and run the risk Clowney still won't play under the tag.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That may be true, but there best trade partner will be a team willing to give Clowney a long term contract. A team that isn't willing to do that won't give as much value because they won't get long term benefit and run the risk Clowney still won't play under the tag.

Yeah and i'm out on Clowney long term.

He is the Sean Lee of defensive ends. You'll be paying a lot of money to watch him sit.

For 1 year i'll take the risk but he's a bad long term investment.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
What about Mike Pennel for the beef inside now that the pats released him? He is 334 pounds so not our DC body type.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have a question:

If he's not reporting under the tag to the Texans, why would he play under it for another team?

I think it would have to be a sign-and-trade deal, and I don't see Dallas being interested in that after what it paid to Lawrence.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Some of you guys never want to take a risk to win a title NOW.

Rams went all in and it paid off for them. Yes, they didn't win the Super Bowl but they got there and got much further than they ever had in well over a decade. Plus, the NFL isn't the MLB where you have these long windows of building a team.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Rams went all in and it paid off for them. Yes, they didn't win the Super Bowl but they got there and got much further than they ever had in well over a decade. Plus, the NFL isn't the MLB where you have these long windows of building a team.

The Rams traded a fifth to trade for Talib. The Cowboys already made that kind of deal for Robert Quinn. The Rams traded a 1st for Brandon Cooks but they also re-signed him. Cowboys also made that kind of deal for Amari Cooper (and plan to re-sign him). Rams did not trade a premium pick for a 1-year rental.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The NFL doesn't have to have windows at all. 3-4 years ago fans were saying the window was closing because Romo and Witten were getting older, but with the additions of Dak, Zeke, Jaylon, LVE, Amari Cooper Gallup etc .. the Cowboys are just as capable now as they were then.