Dallas should trade for Clowney

Zordon

Reaction score
What? Dak finished the season completing 71.6% with Cooper in. Now this offense has more depth/speed at wr, Garwin will be improved at TE, and we get Pollard as a weapom to use behind Zeke. Moore as coordinator is the holdback if it falters.
Dude I know what my eyes tell me. You can win with Dak but he's never going to lead an explosive offense here. I don't know to blame him or the coaching but we don't even run RPO's here which is where the league and best offenses are trending.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dude I know what my eyes tell me. You can win with Dak but he's never going to lead an explosive offense here. I don't know to blame him or the coaching but we don't even run RPO's here which is where the league and best offenses are trending.

Yeah you don’t want Dak in a situation where he has to air it out.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Horrible idea. We would be giving up premium draft capital, having to pay him longterm, then losing our own talent as a result. I would rather keep the rollover cap.

Proof

Reaction score
A second round pick for a one year rental? Are you that convinced we're one player away?

In this scenario we’d get a comp pick back after the one ye rental. And this year does feel like a player away year truthfully.
But yes if it were realistically an option I think it would be interesting

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hear me out and correct me if I’m wrong...

Clowney is in a contract year right?

If we give up a 2nd round pick for him then wouldn’t we receive a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder back for him?

I think for a 1 year rental having Clowney and DLaw as our D Ends would significantly increase our chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

Even if we need to sweeten the pot with someone like Crawford or whatever I think it’s a deal worth looking at.

Rumors that Philly want him too.

He’s going to be traded so why not go all in with this move?

The flaw in this is that Clowney is refusing to play under the franchise tag - at least so far he is. If he doesn't change his mind that means the only way the Cowboys could use him this year would be to give him a long term contract - probably at or maybe even above what they agreed to with DeMarcus Lawrence.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Horrible idea. We would be giving up premium draft capital, having to pay him longterm, then losing our own talent as a result. I would rather keep the rollover cap.

If we have to pay him longterm then I don't want the deal.

If we can trade, get him for a year, and get a late 3rd round compensatory pick then sign me up.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hear me out and correct me if I’m wrong...

Clowney is in a contract year right?

If we give up a 2nd round pick for him then wouldn’t we receive a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder back for him?

I think for a 1 year rental having Clowney and DLaw as our D Ends would significantly increase our chance of reaching and winning the Super Bowl.

Even if we need to sweeten the pot with someone like Crawford or whatever I think it’s a deal worth looking at.

Rumors that Philly want him too.

He’s going to be traded so why not go all in with this move?
Trading for Clownley may be contingent on an extension

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The flaw in this is that Clowney is refusing to play under the franchise tag - at least so far he is. If he doesn't change his mind that means the only way the Cowboys could use him this year would be to give him a long term contract - probably at or maybe even above what they agreed to with DeMarcus Lawrence.

He has no guaranteed money this year right? He has to play under the franchise tag or get paid nothing?

Most guys hold out till the last minute and then come back because that is still too much money to walk away from.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He’s not playing for Houston this year.

They are trying their best to get rid of him.

Zeke is worth a first.
that's the point, you go on Houston board and they say pay a second for zeke, he is a head case, and a RB and dallas would be happy to get rid of him and save 15M and they have pollard...and they say clowney is worth a 1st or more
every team's fans tend to over value their own players and under value other teams

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
that's the point, you go on Houston board and they say pay a second for zeke, he is a head case, and a RB and dallas would be happy to get rid of him and save 15M and they have pollard...and they say clowney is worth a 1st or more
every team's fans tend to over value their own players and under value other teams

Clowney is probably worth a 1st.. Here is the problem with their logic.

Clowney wants out and Houston doesn't want him. The only thing that will drive his price up is teams competing for his service. (kinda like how we overpaid for Amari)

Dallas wants Zeke and Zeke wants to play in Dallas. Also, Dallas doesn't have to do anything with Zeke. He can sign a contract or sit out and lose millions.

The situations are different.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has no guaranteed money this year right? He has to play under the franchise tag or get paid nothing?

Most guys hold out till the last minute and then come back because that is still too much money to walk away from.

That's true, so if push comes to shove he likely won't sit out the season. Franchise tag money for a DE is too great to ignore. But it isn't a certainty at this point, and even if he does play under the tag I assume he will be disgruntled. I imagine, at least for now, Clowney will try to force the Texans to either give him a long term deal, or trade him to a team that will.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clowney is probably worth a 1st.. Here is the problem with their logic.

Clowney wants out and Houston doesn't want him. The only thing that will drive his price up is teams competing for his service. (kinda like how we overpaid for Amari)

Dallas wants Zeke and Zeke wants to play in Dallas. Also, Dallas doesn't have to do anything with Zeke. He can sign a contract or sit out and lose millions.

The situations are different.

I don't think we can afford to pay Clowney AND Dlaw............ unless the plan is not to sign Dak.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rumor is they want OL, RB, and WR help.

Right, they need a RB. Trade Zeke for a 1st and 2nd rounder. That will give us a lot of ammo in the next draft to address the QB position and not be hijacked by Daks contract demands. His holdout is coming next year. No way he plays on a tag.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A second round pick for a one year rental? Are you that convinced we're one player away?
I get that thinking but if ever there was a year, it could be this one.

This would be the Charles Haley trade on steroids.

Do we even have the cap room this year to take on on his (franchise tagged) salary?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Don't forget the Texans have a little brother complex with the Cowboys.

No way they're making a trade like that with us an easy one. They'd want us to overpay so they can show the city of Houston they got over on those jerks from Dallas.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That's true, so if push comes to shove he likely won't sit out the season. Franchise tag money for a DE is too great to ignore. But it isn't a certainty at this point, and even if he does play under the tag I assume he will be disgruntled. I imagine, at least for now, Clowney will try to force the Texans to either give him a long term deal, or trade him to a team that will.

I believe the Texans franchised him as a linebacker and not a defensive end, which is a factor as to why he didn't sign his franchise tender. Linebackers get paid less than DE.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe the Texans franchised him as a linebacker and not a defensive end, which is a factor as to why he didn't sign his franchise tender. Linebackers get paid less than DE.

I seem to recall reading the same thing. So that increases the odds that he won't play under the franchise tag.