Twitter: Dallas Still Has $28.56M in Cap space

ultron

Reaction score
$15.2 million in cap space and I don’t think that includes Poe’s contract:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

Based on what I’ve read they can create $6m by making FredBeard a June 1st cut, and another $8m by cutting Crawford. I’m not sure they’ll cut Crawford, but he should take at least a ~50% pay cut. They also may choose not to make Beard a June 1 cut and just swallow the whole 11m this season instead of spreading it into next season because I think they’re done in free agency (until they pick up a piece or two from other teams after June 1).

The only weakness I really see on this team is the secondary & of course they need a slot WR. In my opinion this secondary’s floor is ‘bad’ and the ceiling is ‘mediocre’. Perhaps they’ll draft the CJ Henderson kid from Florida and he’ll be a stud and Awuzie, Brown, and Lewis can play their natural spots - but there is a lot of conflicting opinions on Henderson’s college career and some people feel like he really isn’t that good.

Last edited:

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score

Based on what I’ve read they can create $6m by making FredBeard a June 1st cut, and another $8m by cutting Crawford. I’m not sure they’ll cut Crawford, but he should take at least a ~50% pay cut. They also may choose not to make Beard a June 1 cut and just swallow the whole 11m this season instead of spreading it into next season because I think they’re done in free agency (until they pick up a piece or two from other teams after June 1).

The only weakness I really see on this team is the secondary & of course they need a slot WR. In my opinion this secondary’s floor is really bad and the ceiling is mediocre. Perhaps they’ll draft the CJ Henderson kid from Florida and he’ll be a stud and Awuzie, Brown, and Lewis can play their natural spots - but there is a lot of conflicting opinions on Henderson’s college career and some people feel like he really isn’t that good.

Not the glaring hole in quality DE? Specifically RDE? And if Dallas does cut Crawford, then what?

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Randy Gregory and Crawford will split time at RDE, problem solved.

I do somewhat admire those of y'all and y'alls confidence in Gregory. I respect the faith y'all have in his ability to provide.

Just my opinion, of course, but it makes me feel uneasy that Dallas is hoping he's reinstated and that they can produce pressure.

Of course, there are a ton of unknowns in depth and how the infusion of talent at DT will factor in as well..but the crapshoot is still a bit unsettling.

If Dallas can get good to great pressure from the DLine, it can and will mask the deficiency they probably will have in form of the (unknown) talent the secondary may or may not have.

Again, just a ton of possibilities.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

The only weakness I really see on this team is the secondary & of course they need a slot WR. In my opinion this secondary’s floor is ‘bad’ and the ceiling is ‘mediocre’. Perhaps they’ll draft the CJ Henderson kid from Florida and he’ll be a stud and Awuzie, Brown, and Lewis can play their natural spots - but there is a lot of conflicting opinions on Henderson’s college career and some people feel like he really isn’t that good.

Nothing may happen to Crawford, including a pay cut. He is represented by CAA. Same agency as Dak. Same agent I believe. Crawford should have been gone with his salary a while ago. At the very least, he should have had his salary adjusted but none of that has happened. He's not a 9 mil a year player and yet, he is. Wonder why?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
It’s not as good as it seems. We’ve got some important players coming up on contract years next year, namely a good portion of our defensive backfield. We’ve got to maintain some space for the future and not just go on a spending spree.

ultron

Reaction score
I do somewhat admire those of y'all and y'alls confidence in Gregory. I respect the faith y'all have in his ability to provide.

Just my opinion, of course, but it makes me feel uneasy that Dallas is hoping he's reinstated and that they can produce pressure.

Of course, there are a ton of unknowns in depth and how the infusion of talent at DT will factor in as well..but the crapshoot is still a bit unsettling.

If Dallas can get good to great pressure from the DLine, it can and will mask the deficiency they probably will have in form of the (unknown) talent the secondary may or may not have.

Again, just a ton of possibilities.
I certainly understand the concern, but the kid is immensely talented. I posted a few days ago that I’m very skeptical that Goodell is going to make this a smooth and easy process for Randy G simply because of the high profile the Cowboys have and my personal opinion that Goodell simply either doesn’t like the Cowboys, or uses them to set an example for the rest of the league & media (of course). I honestly think there’s a 60/40 chance Randy gets back in the league, and I really hope I’m wrong because pot is the dumbest thing to be banned for life from the NFL for. Goodell is a flat out weirdo so who knows what will happen.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Nothing may happen to Crawford, including a pay cut. He is represented by CAA. Same agency as Dak. Same agent I believe. Crawford should have been gone with his salary a while ago. At the very least, he should have had his salary adjusted but none of that has happened. He's not a 9 mil a year player and yet, he is. Wonder why?

He has to have pictures or know where the bodies are buried on somebody in the Jones family

Criminal he has been stealing money his whole career... don’t blame him as he is taking what they gave him with a big ole smile

ultron

Reaction score
I agree but I don’t see them keeping Crawford for $9m when you could have Everson Griffen or Golden for probably around $12m & they might really like the Chaisson kid from LSU. Crawford’s situation is way different than Dak’s (even though CAA is a bunch of tool bags), he’s already publicly stated he’d take a pay cut. The Cowboys are doing the right thing by waiting to see what happens with Randy G and the draft before making a decision on Tyrone. There’s really no reason to rush to cut him or restructure him rn.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I have a hunch that our FO may sit back and wait for the draft to end before spending any more of their dough. Bargains can be had then! :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Randy Gregory and Crawford will split time at RDE, problem solved.

I don't think so. I don't see Gregory coming out at the top of his game and at the top of his game, he only had 6 sacks in 14 games played. In three years, he's only started 1 game so I don't know how much we can really expect there.

With Crawford, he's a decent rotational player but he's a bit of a tweener and he's not a guy who is going to really make Offenses pay for doubling DLaw. He's the guy that makes other teams decide it's OK to double him up or triple him up on any given play. He is the kind of player, at LDE who encourages teams to continue that practice. In short, he's OK if you want to spell somebody for a play or two but he's not a guy that we should be looking at as a starting LDE. He's historically a 4 or 5 sack a season guy and last year he registered 1. To me, the idea that these two can solve any problems is overly optimistic.

IMO, this is a huge liability at this point.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree but I don’t see them keeping Crawford for $9m when you could have Everson Griffen or Golden for probably around $12m & they might really like the Chaisson kid from LSU. Crawford’s situation is way different than Dak’s (even though CAA is a bunch of tool bags), he’s already publicly stated he’d take a pay cut. The Cowboys are doing the right thing by waiting to see what happens with Randy G and the draft before making a decision on Tyrone. There’s really no reason to rush to cut him or restructure him rn.

To me, the situations are irrelevant. It's a leverage thing on behalf of CAA. "Keep Crawford with no pay cuts or we will make it up elsewhere" sort of situation. They are exactly the kind of outfit that would play that card, IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He has to have pictures or know where the bodies are buried on somebody in the Jones family

Criminal he has been stealing money his whole career... don’t blame him as he is taking what they gave him with a big ole smile

Seems really weird that he makes so much money and yet, he has so little production behind it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I believe he is one of the team leaders but that don't go far if you aren't producing. And yet, he still banks and he is likely to be the starter if nothing changes between now and the start of the season. It's kinda weird for sure.

ultron

Reaction score
To me, the situations are irrelevant. It's a leverage thing on behalf of CAA. "Keep Crawford with no pay cuts or we will make it up elsewhere" sort of situation. They are exactly the kind of outfit that would play that card, IMO.
lol I don’t think it quite works that way but I understand the philosophy behind that

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
They're dragging their feet w/Clowney. Gonna lose him to the Titans.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
lol I don’t think it quite works that way but I understand the philosophy behind that

Well, I understand what you are saying but I absolutely know that it does work that way in certain situations. However, its just my opinion, as I say. Honestly, I can find no other reason for why we have done what we have done on behalf of Crawford. Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's still hilarious to see people worry about cap space, talk about cap hell and then you see the Eagles who are supposed to be in cap hell sitting there with $27MM in cap space.

ksg811

Reaction score
It's still hilarious to see people worry about cap space, talk about cap hell and then you see the Eagles who are supposed to be in cap hell sitting there with $27MM in cap space.

The Eagles have been in "cap hell" for the last 4 years and continue to sign, re-sign, and trade for players to improve their team. Somehow though, the Cowboys have $15 million in space with a full roster and over $25 million in easily created space and can't do anything but bargain shop. Something doesn't add up...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is no reason Gregory shouldn't be reinstated. Given the way he played in 2018, I have big expectations for him.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I certainly understand the concern, but the kid is immensely talented. I posted a few days ago that I’m very skeptical that Goodell is going to make this a smooth and easy process for Randy G simply because of the high profile the Cowboys have and my personal opinion that Goodell simply either doesn’t like the Cowboys, or uses them to set an example for the rest of the league & media (of course). I honestly think there’s a 60/40 chance Randy gets back in the league, and I really hope I’m wrong because pot is the dumbest thing to be banned for life from the NFL for. Goodell is a flat out weirdo so who knows what will happen.
thought I read that with the new CBA, once a player files for reinstatement that a decision has to be made in 60 days. hope that's true and hopefully RG has filed.