Dallas to host Alfred Morris on Monday

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if they add Alfred Morris, the Dallas Cowboys are still looking to draft a running back.

“You just always want to have options,” Stephen Jones said. “Get somebody in the draft. It takes more than one running back to get through a season most of the time. Very rarely do you pull of a season like DeMarco Murray had two years ago. We got one back and hopefully, Lance is going to get back.”

“It’s still the same, he could be a PUP guy,” Jones said. “But this time last year Morris Claiborne was going to be a PUP guy. Some of these guys work extremely hard, which Lance is one those guys. He is special. Sometimes they get back sooner.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...orner-blog/article67315872.html#storylink=cpy

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Norm saying that a Morris signing indicates that Dallas won't go Rb in 1st 4 rounds and that Dallas must believe that Henry won't last until their pick in the 2nd Rd.

They are covering their bases. Can't believe anyone still listens to Norm.

Norm is a complete idiot.

That said, I don't think we were ever looking for a RB until that third round pick at the earliest. Most likely, it comes in the 4th round.

Last edited:

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Norm is a complete idiot.

That said, I don't think we were ever looking for a BR until that third round pick at the earliest. Most likely, it comes in the 4th round.

Norm is not a complete idiot but his ego is overinflated.

I agree Dallas will target one of the really good backs available in the 3rd round. That leaves QB, safety (if Ramsey is available) and DE as the logical picks at #4.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Emmitt was not a fast RB either, but what he excelled at was Vision, Patience and endurance.
Morris is no Emmitt, but he does share those three traits,, you will see how those three traits translate I can guarantee you.
Morris will out perform Murray behind this OL, you save this post and if Im wrong I will man up and admit I was wrong.
Im not even saying Morris is the final piece for this backfield,,, far from it,, but Morris at least gets this backfield back on track.
DMC is now a complimentary piece, this team hasnt even tapped in to the elite level RB yet,, but Morris is at least heading in the right direction.
We are not done at RB, so enjoy this signing,, and dont think signing Morris excludes this team from drafting that elite back.

robjay04

Reaction score
Emmitt was not a fast RB either, but what he excelled at was Vision, Patience and endurance.
Morris is no Emmitt, but he does share those three traits,, you will see how those three traits translate I can guarantee you.
Morris will out perform Murray behind this OL, you save this post and if Im wrong I will man up and admit I was wrong.
Im not even saying Morris is the final piece for this backfield,,, far from it,, but Morris at least gets this backfield back on track.
DMC is now a complimentary piece, this team hasnt even tapped in to the elite level RB yet,, but Morris is at least heading in the right direction.
We are not done at RB, so enjoy this signing,, and dont think signing Morris excludes this team from drafting that elite back.

Thing is about Morris, he is missing out on one important trait that both Murray and Emmitt excelled in and that is being a pass catcher. He is not a 3 down back. His catching totals are pathetic, hopefully the Skins just didn't want to use him that way. I have a feeling if he was at least an average receiver, he would've made a lot more money in free agency based on his production.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Thing is about Morris, he is missing out on one important trait that both Murray and Emmitt excelled in and that is being a pass catcher. He is not a 3 down back. His catching totals are pathetic, hopefully the Skins just didn't want to use him that way. I have a feeling if he was at least an average receiver, he would've made a lot more money in free agency based on his production.

He can catch the ball. He didnt excell at catching th ball out of the backfield in Washington, because it wasnt a focal point. They made Jordan Reed an elite TE in that system, thats where they threw the ball.
He doesnt have to do that here either, but I bet he does.
We also have a very good TE, and Dunbar, but make no mistake,,, Morris can catch the ball out of the backfield.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Emmitt didn't excel in the passing game. He did have solid hands for the dump offs which is all he did.

CCBoy

Reaction score

This is smart, I agree. As a running pair with different personalities are added to the mix. Then also, Morris has very good knowledge within the NFC East and that will pay off as well.

robjay04

Reaction score
Emmitt didn't excel in the passing game. He did have solid hands for the dump offs which is all he did.

Still the same. Morris has 47 career catches, Emmitt had 47 catches or more six different times in his career.

I don't follow the Skins to know if it is a hands issue or they just don't want him to be a receiver.

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://insidethestar.com/dallas-cowboys-brilliantly-stole-alfred-morris/

When you consider that deal given Alfred’s career you want to do somersaults. In four seasons Alfred has:

• 49 career starts (he missed 15 games due to injury).
  • 868 career carries.
  • 3,806 career yards.
  • 20 career touchdowns.
Oh wait, I’m sorry! Those are Doug Martin’s career statistics! Silly me. Well it’s worth mentioning that Doug himself has put together quite the career in the exact same time span that The Butler has. In fact Doug’s efforts were rewarded two weeks ago with a 5-Year contract worth $35.75M with $15M guaranteed.

My apologies. Here are Alfred’s career numbers:

• 64 career starts (he has never missed a game).
  • 1,078 career carries.
  • 4,713 career yards.
  • 29 career touchdowns.
That’s right. Alfred Morris is better than Doug Martin in every significant statistic, and his deal is a 2-Year contract with a $3.5M base and a chance to earn up to $5.5M.

Let’s look at these numbers next to each other for the full effect, shall we?

Alfred MorrisDoug Martin
Total Starts
Games Missed Due To Injury015
Total Carries1,078868
Total Yards4,7133,806
Total Touchdowns2920
Contract2-Year, $3.5M base.5-Year, $7.15M base/year...