Twitter: Dalton Schultz has become Dak's most trusted receiver

conner01

Reaction score
Lamb should go way up in targets and catch 100-120 balls this year. That's what the good teams and best offenses typically do.
His targets will could go up. He had 120 targets last year so he could go up some. But he’s also gonna be covered by the best CB some of the time this year
I hope we move him around to find favorable matchups
But this offense is about spreading the ball around and finding the open guy. I like the idea of spreading it around as opposed to forcing it to one guy myself

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not crying over anything. I just don't see something like this as a reason to pay a meh TE elite money.

I understand why they tagged him for now, but a long term deal? No way.

And please, answer the question.....if Schultz played for another team would they ever CONSIDER giving him a deal in the 4/60 range??

There's a lot to like about the current team, and I'm encouraged accordingly.....but there's massive flaws in the organization overall, and overpaying for players because they drafted them and/or is one of Jerry's buddies is a big part of that.

I'd pay top end money to retain a Kittle or Kelce, not for Schultz. There's a clear skillset difference, and what I'm NOT going to do is offer up some insult that insinuates that you can't see that....because you can.

Take a look at what Tyrone Crawford was paid for being average to below average. Big part of the problem. The philosophy overall is to not pay good players like great ones, but they seem to forget that when it comes to their own.....and more often than not it bites them, and you know that also.

I also don't "hate" Prescott. I think we can win with him if the running game improves, which is tough to do when you're paying top dollar for a TE that can't run block really at all.

I dont dislike Schultz either. I just don't want him here for even half what he is likely to get on the open market because of dump off catch stats. He is kind of guy that will be cut two years into his four year deal. I just don't want that to be us for a few reasons.

I wouldnt pay Shultz top end money either.

quickccc

Reaction score
yeh he probably did became more trusted, most trusted because opposing teams began to throw more and more zone heavy back loaded coverages at Dak, Kellen
and we just could not adjust, and dak was very tentative and over cautious ,.. so zone space and underneath areas was very available to Schultz.

Primary to the zone schemes, we had an effective run game vs the less competitive teams, so play action rollouts worked effective, now it's the dump offs underneath
that Schultz took advantage of ..He's not asked to create separation plays vs man coverage.

erod

Reaction score
Sounds like another qb we know well hmmmmmm
But then the tight ends were often well downfield on seam routes behind the linebackers. Not on 5-yard ins and outs and button hooks most of the time.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
But then the tight ends were often well downfield on seam routes behind the linebackers. Not on 5-yard ins and outs and button hooks most of the time.
Is that why Witten has one of the worst ypc for the great tight ends? Its daks fault huh?

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Of course he is...he is the receiver closest to him other than a RB....i predicted Schultz will have the best year of his career and will stamp his ticket out of here. Having the TE as Dak's most trusted receiver is not a good thing here, the way Dallas uses their TE more as a safety valve...means Dak has given up on the play and the defense is giving him that short pass.
This is true as Dak is not a great passer downfield w/ lack of vision and deep ball accuracy.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-s...ers-of-2021-three-qbs-playing-for-new-teams-i

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Schultz is, no doubt, our most reliable receiver, whether he's destined to become a better blocker or not. I think he deserves far more respect than he gets around here. Let's see if he's able to improve in that function this year. If the FO decides to cut him in another year, it remains to be seen. In the meantime, he'll remain a valuable part of the Dallas offense.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TE tend to be many QB best friend. They are safety net who have the size to work the middle of the field.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
He's, without a doubt, our most reliable receiver, whether he's destined to become a better blocker or not. I think he deserves more respect than he gets around here. Let's see if he's able to improve in that function this year. If the FO decides to cut him in another year, it remains to be seen. In the meantime, he'll remain a valuable part of this offense.
He needs to vastly improve blocking.If we can’t run, we’re not winning.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He needs to vastly improve blocking.If we can’t run, we’re not winning.

You might want to assign much more of that responsibility to the OL before blaming him for their problems. Allow him the time to improve and you may not be quite so inclined to criticize him. He has an active work ethic that might surprise you and many others. He needs to add some bulk, which is something he's working on.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like Schultz ....... but there is nothing special about him ....... and I do not want to pay big money to someone who is not special.

He won't cost you a dime . . . rest assured that Stephen is worrying about that enough for all of us. I think his receiving skills are pretty special, though -- so does Dak, by all appearances.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
You might want to assign much more of that responsibility to the OL before blaming him for their problems. Allow him the time to improve and you may not be quite so inclined to criticize him. He has an active work ethic that might surprise you and many others. He needs to add some bulk, which is something he's working on.
Oline definitely needs to run block better, but DS often whiffed on his run blocking assignments.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Oline definitely needs to run block better, but DS often whiffed on his run blocking assignments.

We can be sure the staff will be working on it and will remind him of it often. He wants to improve by his own admission.

Let's see if it occurs. He'll be feeling the heat from our newby TE, who will be pressuring him at every turn.

Last edited:

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
We can be sure the staff will be working on it and will remind him of it often. He wants to improve by his own admission.

Let's see if it occurs. He'll be feeling the hear from our newby TE who will be pressuring him at every turn.
Let’s hope so.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out what Schultz has done to warrant all of this hate? I mean he can’t block but he’s become a weapon, and that’s from a TE that wasn’t really a receiving TE coming out of Stanford. Do people not remember for years at the end of his career Witt catching a pass only to fall down, and forcing JG’s hand to play 100% of the snaps? Schultz actually gets YAC and has become one of my favorite players.

Mannix

Reaction score
Whoever is the tight end is his most trusted receiver. Dak prefers throws to tight ends much more than receivers.

Because they are stationary, and run routes that end up usually with them facing Dak...WAY less risky for a QB that can't beat a retired David Carr in an accuracy competition. If they pay Schultz 10-11 million per year, that will be the last straw for me...40 million dollar QB's should be able to succeed without everything always needing to be perfect. BTW, he is gonna miss Cedric Wilson...dude was the second best route runner on the team.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Because they are stationary, and run routes that end up usually with them facing Dak...WAY less risky for a QB that can't beat a retired David Carr in an accuracy competition. If they pay Schultz 10-11 million per year, that will be the last straw for me...40 million dollar QB's should be able to succeed without everything always needing to be perfect.
:hammer:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out what Schultz has done to warrant all of this hate? I mean he can’t block but he’s become a weapon, and that’s from a TE that wasn’t really a receiving TE coming out of Stanford. Do people not remember for years at the end of his career Witt catching a pass only to fall down, and forcing JG’s hand to play 100% of the snaps? Schultz actually gets YAC and has become one of my favorite players.

No kidding -- take Schultz out of the offensive lineup and Dak would be lost without him. He'll likely improve on his blocking, although he may never be the cat's meow at it. If he's able to merely get in the way of those he needs to block, it'd be helpful. In the meantime, he's a valuable resource as a receiver.

Aven8

Reaction score
No kidding . . . take Schultz out of the offensive lineup and Dak would be lost without him. He'll likely improve on his blocking, although he may never become the cat's meow at it. If he's able to merely get in the way of those he needs to block, it'd be quite helpful. In the meantime, he's a valuable resource as a receiver.

Right. Remember Beas was his favorite target too and he wasn’t a TE.