Twitter: Dalton Schultz has become Dak's most trusted receiver

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That exactly what I was thinking but wanted someone else to say it first lol.

This isn't some extraordinary Schultz skill.

The idea that he is his "most trusted receiver" is more of an indictment of Prescott than an endorsement to Schultz.

But, fantasy football is how many internet GMs figure on things. Point per catch!!

Actually a 30 yard pass is a first down and extends the play. Really nothing to get cry baby about.

Nothing happened here for the Cowboys that you should get upset about.

If watching your top 10 QB complete a perfectly thrown 30 yard pass to his TE on the run to avoid pressure makes you upset, then its probably time to find another team to root for.

Why even put yourself through the torture?

conner01

Reaction score
I do not want to pay Schultz top TE money, I am hoping our draft pick can replace him and we can let Schultz walk after this upcoming season.
Ideally you replace everyone except maybe QB and Edge rusher when they are up for a second contract. That should always be the plan unless the guy is an elite player. But plans don’t always workout
TE is extremely important to this offense so if he walks we have to look at TE in the draft fairly early
Ferguson has some nice tools but TE is a position slow to develop so not sure we will know if he’s the answer after year one

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Targets mean he threw more not that he trusts him more. The TE is open much more often and is generally an easy guy to find when things break down
The WR is gonna get more players called where he’s the first read so he likely will get more targets

Not rocket science. You throw the ball the most to who you think is going to catch it. Ceedee also actually caught more passes.

Now you could make a case that who he actually trusts more to get open is the guy who has the most 3rd down catches for a first down. I would be interested in those numbers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Get off the stats page and watch the games. Amari complained about this quite a bit. Garbage stat time never tells the story.
Yeah forget actual stats and facts....no, I should just watch the games even though the target share says Amari and Lamb average more targets per game than Schultz....But no, EROD says otherwise...why? Because he has no idea what the hell he's talking about as usual.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Most QB’s most trusted is their TE
Generally it’s the easiest passes to throw and in most cases covered by a less talented cover guy than their WR
Not even sure why saying such a thing is used as a insult lol. Brady lives off his tight ends lol. Mahomes does as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Actually a 30 yard pass is a first down and extends the play. Really nothing to get cry baby about.

Nothing happened here for the Cowboys that you should get upset about.

If watching your top 10 QB complete a perfectly thrown 30 yard pass to his TE on the run to avoid pressure makes you upset, then its probably time to find another team to root for.

Why even put yourself through the torture?
I really have no idea why you repeatedly attempt to pick fights.

Receivers are taught to follow the QB in that case. It's not at all about some skill Schultz has that's unique.

When your TE is elite, there's no need to defend it or point it out. Ours isn't.

If Schultz played for another team they would NEVER consider signing him to a big money deal. Never.

conner01

Reaction score
Not rocket science. You throw the ball the most to who you think is going to catch it. Ceedee also actually caught more passes.

Now you could make a case that who he actually trusts more to get open is the guy who has the most 3rd down catches for a first down. I would be interested in those numbers.
Lamb had about 10 more first downs though to be fair most of the passes to a WR are first down yardage
Schultz had more first downs per target
I think you always want to hit the guy down field but when that don’t work the next guy becomes the guy you want to hit. The TE is generally the easiest pass because he’s generally running a shorter route and he’s not generally cover by the opponents top of evv cb en second best cover guy. One blocking breaks down the back or TE becomes the guy much of the time just to get rid of it and get some positive yards
Lamb and Schultz do a good job whether they are the most trusted or not. Now I want to see who’s gonna actually stand up and be in the ballpark of targets and receptions with them this year. Early on it’s gonna be Washington and Tolbert by default. Once Gallup is back the best of the two will ten share those targets with Gallup. My hope is that’s Tolbert but he’s gonna have to earn it

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I really have no idea why you repeatedly attempt to pick fights.

Receivers are taught to follow the QB in that case. It's not at all about some skill Schultz has that's unique.

When your TE is elite, there's no need to defend it or point it out. Ours isn't.

If Schultz played for another team they would NEVER consider signing him to a big money deal. Never.

Your the one crying about a perfectly thrown ball to our TE for a first down. Nothing to be upset about here. Great play the QB and the TE. This thread is not about signing Shultz to a big money deal. Do you hate Shultz or Dak or just both?

Personally I think they are both great 4th round picks we nailed. Happy to have them on my team. Glad Dak loves Shultz so much. It allowed us the luxury of trading away the overpaid Cooper.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lamb had about 10 more first downs though to be fair most of the passes to a WR are first down yardage
Schultz had more first downs per target
I think you always want to hit the guy down field but when that don’t work the next guy becomes the guy you want to hit. The TE is generally the easiest pass because he’s generally running a shorter route and he’s not generally cover by the opponents top of evv cb en second best cover guy. One blocking breaks down the back or TE becomes the guy much of the time just to get rid of it and get some positive yards
Lamb and Schultz do a good job whether they are the most trusted or not. Now I want to see who’s gonna actually stand up and be in the ballpark of targets and receptions with them this year. Early on it’s gonna be Washington and Tolbert by default. Once Gallup is back the best of the two will ten share those targets with Gallup. My hope is that’s Tolbert but he’s gonna have to earn it

Lamb should go way up in targets and catch 100-120 balls this year. That's what the good teams and best offenses typically do.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Of course he is...he is the receiver closest to him other than a RB....i predicted Schultz will have the best year of his career and will stamp his ticket out of here. Having the TE as Dak's most trusted receiver is not a good thing here, the way Dallas uses their TE more as a safety valve...means Dak has given up on the play and the defense is giving him that short pass.

cowboyec

Reaction score
they have a chemistry.
no question.
its been fun to watch develop.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Your the one crying about a perfectly thrown ball to our TE for a first down. Nothing to be upset about here. Great play the QB and the TE. This thread is not about signing Shultz to a big money deal. Do you hate Shultz or Dak or just both?

Personally I think they are both great 4th round picks we nailed. Happy to have them on my team. Glad Dak loves Shultz so much. It allowed us the luxury of trading away the overpaid Cooper.
I'm not crying over anything. I just don't see something like this as a reason to pay a meh TE elite money.

I understand why they tagged him for now, but a long term deal? No way.

And please, answer the question.....if Schultz played for another team would they ever CONSIDER giving him a deal in the 4/60 range??

There's a lot to like about the current team, and I'm encouraged accordingly.....but there's massive flaws in the organization overall, and overpaying for players because they drafted them and/or is one of Jerry's buddies is a big part of that.

I'd pay top end money to retain a Kittle or Kelce, not for Schultz. There's a clear skillset difference, and what I'm NOT going to do is offer up some insult that insinuates that you can't see that....because you can.

Take a look at what Tyrone Crawford was paid for being average to below average. Big part of the problem. The philosophy overall is to not pay good players like great ones, but they seem to forget that when it comes to their own.....and more often than not it bites them, and you know that also.

I also don't "hate" Prescott. I think we can win with him if the running game improves, which is tough to do when you're paying top dollar for a TE that can't run block really at all.

I dont dislike Schultz either. I just don't want him here for even half what he is likely to get on the open market because of dump off catch stats. He is kind of guy that will be cut two years into his four year deal. I just don't want that to be us for a few reasons.

Motorola

Reaction score
Dude, what are you Dalton Schultz's agent?
Friday, May 27th - 'Did this dealcset the bar for Schultz?'
Sunday, May 29th, 2:34pm - 'Dalton Schultz has become Dak's most trusted receiver'
Sunday, May 29th, 2:37pm - Projected Contract for Schultz'

----all three threads by J12B