Dalton Schultz in Houston

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Oh my gosh the AM radio people in Houston are GUSHING about how big of a pick up Schultz is! They talked about it for a whole segment this morning. None of the talking people are critical thinkers and actually look depper into the numbers. They aren't addressing that Schultz was Dak's primary dump off guy for years.

3rd and 20 - BOOM Dalton Schultz 6 yard curl
3rd and 10 - BAM 3 yard out to Schultz

For the Cowboys this will be a massive addition by subtraction. Who knows who Dak's new pacifier will be? But who ever it is they'll have more athleticism than Schultz did to avoid a tackle. He reminded me of Witten his last two years. No still arm, no hurdle, no spins. Just let the nearset defender take you to the ground with no 1-3 yard forward lean. Houston fans are in for a treat. Maybe he'll be Bryce Young's binky too.
You are so off on Schultz. If all he did is get dump offs, wy doesnt every team have at the MINIMUM, a TE with Schultz type numbers? I would not have kept Schultz, but only because we have a salary cap and we have 2 young TEs who I think can play very similar.

Stop bashing a guy who was extremely productive for us.

kskboys

Reaction score
From someone in Houston describing what the radio guys and fans are saying??? Point it out please. Thanks hall monitor.
Sorry, didn't realize you had problems comprehending common courtesies. Thanks, Impolite Igor.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hopefully, this will force Dakota "WENTZ 2.0" Prescot to look beyond his first read!!!!!!!!!!! The dude has an insane case of tunnel vision and refuses to locate receivers and TEs who are OPEN 20 to 30 yards down field!
Not refuses, is incapable of.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dalton Schultz is a solid player, but hes the Blake Jarwin story 2.0....minus the injuries. The Dallas offense for about as long as I can remember has been very TE friendly. I was always for locking up Jason Witten to new deals because event hough he ran the same 3 routes over and over during his prime he could block as well as he could catch. Schultz doesnt bring that element of blocking that top TEs tend to do, and he isnt on a Kelce type of level as a receiver. He's a sure handed TE who does a great job of finding space underneath. The Kellen Moore vertical scheme helped open that up as well.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Oh my gosh the AM radio people in Houston are GUSHING about how big of a pick up Schultz is! They talked about it for a whole segment this morning. None of the talking people are critical thinkers and actually look depper into the numbers. They aren't addressing that Schultz was Dak's primary dump off guy for years.

Looking at the numbers, Schultz averaged over 10 yards per reception each of the last two seasons. :huh:

I like the two guys Dallas brought in last year, but pretending all Schultz did was catch 3 and 6 yard passes is not accurate.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For the Cowboys this will be a massive addition by subtraction. Who knows who Dak's new pacifier will be? But who ever it is they'll have more athleticism than Schultz did to avoid a tackle. He reminded me of Witten his last two years. No still arm, no hurdle, no spins. Just let the nearset defender take you to the ground with no 1-3 yard forward lean. Houston fans are in for a treat. Maybe he'll be Bryce Young's binky too.
These posts don't make sense. It's as if people think 10+ yards per reception and 800 yards in a season can be built off 3-5 yard catches.

Of course there are some of those, and sometimes maybe too many, but those aren't the source of the numbers. To average 10+ yards, a 3-5 yard reception would have to be offset by a 15-17 yard reception. Of course, that's an oversimplification because there are a lot more than 2 catches that factor in, but it does highlight the fact that the production isn't based off the short yardage dump offs.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He's a good fit in Houston. A safe pair of hands for their rookie QB to dump off to.

The risk for Schultz is that his rookie QB is Darnold-level garbage, and he gets trapped in a totally non-functional passing offense. With a 1 year deal, he is obviously angling another shot at FA next year, and a 40 catch, 360 yard kind of season would tank the hell out of those ambitions. But I think his usual 55/600/6 kind of stat line is possible with even OK quarterback play.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Did Schultz go backward in salary because he was hobbled last season ? He went from 10 and a franchise tag on a marquee franchise to 9 Million playing on an oil spill in the Gulf .

:facepalm:

kskboys

Reaction score
Looking at the numbers, Schultz averaged over 10 yards per reception each of the last two seasons. :huh:

I like the two guys Dallas brought in last year, but pretending all Schultz did was catch 3 and 6 yard passes is not accurate.
The hate for Schultz is beyond unreasonable. People are just so dumb.

kskboys

Reaction score
Did Schultz go backward in salary because he was hobbled last season ? He went from 10 and a franchise tag on a marquee franchise to 9 Million playing on an oil spill in the Gulf .

:facepalm:
No, he went backward because he made a monstrous mistake in evaluating himself. Teams notice stuff like this.

kskboys

Reaction score
He's a good fit in Houston. A safe pair of hands for their rookie QB to dump off to.

The risk for Schultz is that his rookie QB is Darnold-level garbage, and he gets trapped in a totally non-functional passing offense. With a 1 year deal, he is obviously angling another shot at FA next year, and a 40 catch, 360 yard kind of season would tank the hell out of those ambitions. But I think his usual 55/600/6 kind of stat line is possible with even OK quarterback play.
Yeah, but w/ the high quality WRs Houston has(that is sarcasm), dude might catch 110 passes in HTown!!!!

RonWashington

Reaction score
No, he went backward because he made a monstrous mistake in evaluating himself. Teams notice stuff like this.

He was out part of the season but how does he catch big fish next season catching passes from either a rookie QB or Davis Mills .

Chuck 54

Reaction score

I think a lot of fans forget how many seam passes Shultz caught. He wasn’t just a 5-10 yard guy. He wasn’t shifty, but the dude got downfield and produced. We will hopefully be fine, but it’s a huge reach to assume Ferguson or Hendershot will produce as much as he did this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
He was out part of the season but how does he catch big fish next season catching passes from either a rookie QB or Davis Mills .
He was offered big fish and turned it down. 3 yrs 36 mil is huge.

Schultz is a very nice player. If he could just get that 15 mil crapp out of his head and sign a contract commensurate w/ his ability, there would be no problem.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think a lot of fans forget how many seam passes Shultz caught. He wasn’t just a 5-10 yard guy. He wasn’t shifty, but the dude got downfield and produced. We will hopefully be fine, but it’s a huge reach to assume Ferguson or Hendershot will produce as much as he did this year.
He was also a very nice YAC guy. Don't know how so many fans missed on his evaluation, quite puzzling.