Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

CorpusChristiCowboy

Reaction score
Even with the taxes, 31 mil is more than any of us will ever make in our lives. Texas also has less income tax than a lot of states.
Just admit it that you only want him to be rich because you like seeing good things happen to your favorite athletes.

plymkr

Reaction score
You are in cloud cookoo land my friend if you think this team finishes 3-13 in this division. We still have 5 divisional games so that's worst case scenario 3 wins straight off the hip there, more likely 4.

You are MASSIVELY overrating the drop off from Prescott to Dalton.

We will win 7, 8 or 9 games and the division - as we would have done with Prescott.

It could be argued that Andy Dalton is currently the best QB in the NFC East.
I respectfully disagree. At home against the 0-5 falcons and at home against the Giants are our 2 wins. And they were barely wins if not for pure stupidity on the falcons ST and Gallup making a great catch. The horrible Giants offense dropped 34 on our defense and that was with the refs helping us for once. I agree with you that we are the best team in the NFC east but we'll have to play a lot better to beat Washington and Philly. The Giants took us to the last second before we beat them and they are the worst team in the nfc east. So as of right now we're only 3 points better than the worst in the nfc east and that was a home game. If the Giants can drop 34 on us with their horrible QB and bad oline then we'll be lucky to split the rest of the division games. Hence my 3-13 or so prediction. JMO tho and hopefully you're right and I'm massively misjudging the rest of our schedule. We'll see how it plays out. I know one thing, it's always interesting.

plymkr

Reaction score
Get ready to shocked then. We are winning the NFCE. This team will get better as time goes on.
I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Don't worry, if we win the division I will publicly state I was wrong. I'm a man of my word. I think anything is possible so I'm hoping for the best but preparing for worst.

I do think Andy will play well tho and it's going to be our defense that ruins us.

CorpusChristiCowboy

Reaction score
If we win the NFCE with like 7-9/8-8ish I hope that we get a beastquake game considering the home field advantage we get from winning this trash division.
Remember the 11-ish seahawks going to visit the 9-7 iggles? :laugh:

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak's my guy but if Dalton wins the superbowl (not happening) then Dalton is my guy.

jnday

Reaction score
Um what blowouts ? This team has lost by 3, 7 and 11. Unless the definition of "blowout" has changed they have yet to suffer one. Dak has thrown 4 INTs and had what? 2 fumbles. He has thrown 9 TDs, run for 3 and caught 1. So he has accounted for 13 against 6. Seems like he's more than made up for the turnovers. Also if I'm not mistaken after his pick six on Sunday didn't Dak lead the team on 3 consecutive TD drives? What more would you have liked for him to do to "make up for the turnover?"
Opposing offenses have blown out the Cowboys in every game except for the Giants. Just because they allow garbage time scoring doesn’t change anything. I keep hearing Dak lovers talk about these comebacks, but with the exception of Atlanta game, the Cowboys have been blown out and the game was over by halftime. The final score is an illusion.

jnday

Reaction score
I dont think so man, Daks the guy I'm pretty sure. They will pick the younger guy who's better . Dalton is who he is at this point. Dak has improved yearly
Dak’s stats have improved yearly, but it has not helped with winning. The more stats he racks up, the fewer wins the team has. Those stats are usually an indication of the team being behind and running a very unbalanced offense.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Don't worry, if we win the division I will publicly state I was wrong. I'm a man of my word. I think anything is possible so I'm hoping for the best but preparing for worst.

I do think Andy will play well tho and it's going to be our defense that ruins us.

Our defense ruin's us this year, and the foreseeable future, regardless of which QB leads the offense, unless something drastic is done and winning a very weak division is a worthless achievement.

If Dak only wants a 2 year contract (based on the rumored 3 years he wanted going into this season), he will get $45.85m on the Tag, so there's no point in there being any negotiation as there are no variables.

Now if that happens, and Dak's believes (as a lot on here advocate) he should then become the highest paid QB....what stops him from hitting free agency and just take the highest offer?

If that's the case we'll need to take into account that, (even with the new TV deals and increased CAP), in 2022 - LAST in CAP, 2023 - 31st in CAP Space.

$91.7m for a QB with our Defense is a waste. Reset over the next 2 years, build Defense, let bad contracts diminish and sign a franchise QB (maybe Dak as he'd hit fa) in 2023 when our finances and draft resources have improved.

CorpusChristiCowboy

Reaction score

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Someone spending their entire huge paycheck certainly is not why they deserve more.

You're confusing to different things. What or how a player spends his money has ZERO to do with if he gets another contract. If people hear of a guy who only makes 30K who is taking care of his immediate family and also helping out some other relatives people say what a great guy he is but if a player does it in a much larger scale then he's not very bright. Like I said if Prescott was spending his money on foolish things like exotic cars and multiple boats and other boggles then I would agree with you, but taking care of his family and relatives, no. If more people did what Prescott does this country would be a better place.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
How much Andy Dalton's success affects Dak's career remains to be seen. I think it's very likely to help Andy's career re-emerge significantly from where it had been before Dak's unfortunate injury. Let's first see how things develop, as Andy carries on from where Dak left off. Whatever is to come from him should produce an interesting tale, to say the least.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I agree different scenarios but I think the scenarios are being viewed incorrectly. Romo was already under contract. We knew Romo was a top 10 QB but his injuries b/w 2013-2016 freaked us out. Dak was an unproven rookie who was playing lights out behind the best arguably one of best offensive lines in our franchises history, a top 3 RB , and a legit receiving arsenal.

Romo also still counted 10.7 million and 8.9 million against the Salary cap in 2017 and 2018. Even though we paid Dak peanuts, we were still paying ~ 10 million to the QB position. Did we make the right decision?

Our situation is that we know what Prescott is...he is a good to great QB that can win your NFC east division but is mediocre against playoff caliber defenses and teams. We know what Dalton is...another good 3rd tier QB.

If 40 million vs 15 million only nets you 1 more win while the extra 25 million could be spent on an elite corner back and and a good/great DT or S such as Jalen Ramsey and Cameron Heyward or Simmons. It's a no brainer to spend the salary cap dollars to bring more wins.

You say some truthful things but a couple things in particular wasn't true. In 2016 Prescott had one of the best offensive lines in Cowboys history but that line started to dwindle in 2017 and every year after until now if they could get to be average it would be an improvement. The implication that Dalton even with the help of a couple of defensive players would take the Cowboys further than a Prescott led team is foolishness. Dalton is WINLESS in 5 tries in the playoffs. Prescott already has more playoff wins than Dalton. Some people, think if a team, the Cowboys, settle for a 3rd tier QB and add a couple of defensive players that the good times will roll in. In order for that to happen the defense would have to transform itself into a 2012 raven defense of a 1985 bears defense and that's not going to happen with just adding one or two players.

Now for you suggestion on Ramsey. He just signed a 5 year extension so the only way to get him would mean using draft picks that would cripple the teams chances for more defensive help, getting a GOOD young QB and getting a GOOD tackle to replace sooner than later an injury prone Smith.

You can count on one hand the teams with a 3rd tier QB that won a Super Bowl and they did it with historic defenses. Your idea only works in fantasy football, not the NFL.

Loso86

Reaction score
Dak’s stats have improved yearly, but it has not helped with winning. The more stats he racks up, the fewer wins the team has. Those stats are usually an indication of the team being behind and running a very unbalanced offense.
You realize its because our defense sucks. Same thing was happening to Tony. They overstocked the O but ignored the D and this is what u get.

Proof

Reaction score
You're crazy if you don't think a good chunk of this board would rather be right about Dak, DLaw, Zeke, McCarthy, whoever than win games.

call me crazy then. i'm sure there are some that could tolerate losing since they could justify their point. but have a very hard time believing that anyone (or a good chunk) would prefer to lose to be right. guess i'm just a romantic.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
There is only a competition in the minds of some fans, most of whom apparently haven't seen Dalton play a full game since he left TCU.

Jerry and Stephen have made their position on the matter clear, as recently as yesterday, but y'all have at it. :muttley:
And we all know the Jones boys always tell the truth. Do you really think they would say anything different after what just happened?

Truth is, none of us know what they think of Dak, we can probably say they like him 35 million-ish, but beyond that none of us know what they are thinking now.

ghst187

Reaction score
They keep saying Dak is our future from Jerry and Stephen but they said a deal would get several times and it has not. It could happen again as Dak doesn’t have to sign. At that point then what? Another tag? Then what? I think if you can’t get a deal done you have to move on. I like Dak quite well but not at top 3 QB money.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I would normally agree but Dalton has already earned well in excess of $100 million. Part of the reason why he signed for the Cowboys was to come home with his family. Is he really going to up sticks for another $8-10 million a year or would he take a home town discount?

I think there's a good chance of him signing for circa $20 million a year at this stage of his career and being back home.
He's earned $101m, for the record.

I think there is 0 chance that he signs for $20m if he plays well enough to be a starter, when the going rate is $30m. I don't even know if hte NFLPA would allow it lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

Ironically, Prescott has to root against Dallas for his future in Dallas.

Dalton has nothing to do with Dak's future, but you can pretend it does. :muttley:

Dak will be signed long term regardless. You can bet that whatever success Dalton has, Jones will rightfully be thinking that it would have been even more with the much better Dak at the helm.