Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dalton has nothing to do with Dak's future, but you can pretend it does. :muttley:

Dak will be signed long term regardless. You can bet that whatever success Dalton has, Jones will rightfully be thinking that it would have been even more with the much better Dak at the helm.

Cowboys tried for almost 2 years to get a deal done and couldn't, the only way a deal gets done now (after the injury) is if it's a team friendly deal that would allow the Cowboys to get out of it should Dak continue to have issues with the ankle after he returns or if he just isn't the same player (football is a business and the Cowboys know that). Dak may get the exclusive tag next year again but even that is a bit of a long shot if the cap goes down (as reported) to approx 175m, i think Dak (unless he signs a team friendly deal) gets the transition tag next year and the Cowboys will see what offers he may get and go from there, if they want to match great and if not they will take the picks

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cowboys tried for almost 2 years to get a deal done and couldn't, the only way a deal gets done now (after the injury) is if it's a team friendly deal that would allow the Cowboys to get out of it should Dak continue to have issues with the ankle after he returns or if he just isn't the same player (football is a business and the Cowboys know that). Dak may get the exclusive tag next year again but even that is a bit of a long shot if the cap goes down (as reported) to approx 175m, i think Dak (unless he signs a team friendly deal) gets the transition tag next year and the Cowboys will see what offers he may get and go from there, if they want to match great and if not they will take the picks
That makes no sense. So they tried to sign him two years straight but now the only way a deal gets done is if its team friendly?Huh?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
That makes no sense. So they tried to sign him two years straight but now the only way a deal gets done is if its team friendly?Huh?

I guess we will see, but i'm willing to bet a case of beer (if you drink beer) that Dak gets the transition tag next season :D

John813

Reaction score
I honestly doubt it will unless Dalton pulls off a miracle SB run and he says he'll play on a honest offer.

I do believe they are sold on Dak, but SJ is more nitpicky on contract terms than Jerry is.

Maybe the injury makes Dak fire France and hire a friendly agent to the Jones. Or maybe he tells France not to stretch it out this time and get it done.

Point is, while I'm not a Dak 4 life guy, I just can't see this team simply move on from him. Mainly cause he is a good QB and they have favorites. And, it's not easy to find another QB every year. Especially with the Joneses at the helm.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I honestly doubt it will unless Dalton pulls off a miracle SB run and he says he'll play on a honest offer.

I do believe they are sold on Dak, but SJ is more nitpicky on contract terms than Jerry is.

Maybe the injury makes Dak fire France and hire a friendly agent to the Jones. Or maybe he tells France not to stretch it out this time and get it done.

Point is, while I'm not a Dak 4 life guy, I just can't see this team simply move on from him. Mainly cause he is a good QB and they have favorites. And, it's not easy to find another QB every year. Especially with the Joneses at the helm.

Imagine Dalton having a decent run and Dak getting the transition tag and getting an offer? Cowboys decide to take the 2 1st round picks (instead of mathcing) plus their own and have 2 1st round picks for next season and 2 the season after, you could set up the future nicely with that kind of capital (if you draft wisely). Everything will depend on what Dalton does this year. If Dalton tanks Dak gets his deal if Dalton shines then everything i said will be on the table for the Cowboys

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You can dream, but Dak isn't going anywhere. Dak getting hurt actually makes it more likely as his demands will probably less now.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
You can dream, but Dak isn't going anywhere. Dak getting hurt actually makes it more likely as his demands will probably less now.

Didn't i say that exact same thing in my post? Taking less would be a team friendly deal!. I just don't think Dak will lower his demands so i think he gets the transition tag

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh I think that is a possibility. Either tag honestly.

If the cap goes down to the reported 175m next season i think the only reasonable tag he can get is the transition tag, it won't be alot less than the exclusive tag (maybe 4-5m) but every penny will count if the cap does go down that much

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Didn't i say that exact same thing in my post? Taking less would be a team friendly deal!. I just don't think Dak will lower his demands so i think he gets the transition tag

Tag or long term deal, Dak isn't going anywhere. Jerry is a fool, but he isn't as dumb as some posters on here.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Tag or long term deal, Dak isn't going anywhere. Jerry is a fool, but he isn't as dumb as some posters on here.

Depends on how well the team does with Dalton. Dak on the transition tag would likely illicit some offers, two 1st round picks next year and two the year after (ours and theirs for both years) is a very enticing proposition for the team, we have alot of holes to fill.

Your insults are childish try to have a discussion without them, if your capable of that

Chuck 54

Reaction score
As In Philly, Dalton could win a SB, and it would not impact Dak’s future.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
As In Philly, Dalton could win a SB, and it would not impact Dak’s future.

That Philly team was 11-3 with Wentz when he got hurt and (and Foles took over) plus he was probably going to win league MVP, and he was only in the 2nd year of his rookie deal, not at all the same situation or scenario

Chuck 54

Reaction score
That Philly team was 11-3 with Wentz when he got hurt and (and Foles took over) plus he was probably going to win league MVP, and he was only in the 2nd year of his rookie deal, not at all the same situation or scenario
My opinion still stands. Dalton will have zero impact on Dak’s status. He will be signed this offseason. Jerry’s plan hasn’t changed.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
My opinion still stands. Dalton will have zero impact on Dak’s status. He will be signed this offseason. Jerry’s plan hasn’t changed.

I respect your opinion, i just disagree with it, i think what will happen with Dak (either in money the Cowboys decide to offer or whether to move on) depends largely on what happens with Dalton and how the team performs under him. The Cowboys would have to look hard at paying Dak the kind of money he wants if the team performs just as well under Dalton. (not saying the team will that remains to be seen) But it will make the Cowboys think twice if it does

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with op-ed. If Dalton succeeds here and is putting up numbers on par with Dak, then why pay Dak? Dalton's got 3 years left in him and he can be signed for half of what Dak wants.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think how Dalton plays impacts Dak whatsoever....unless you mean the exact same numbers.
That will not happen for many reasons.

That won't happen because even Dak would not have put the same numbers he was in the 3 games vs the 3 worst pass defense in the league. We only play them once each this year.

Against good or average pass D's (Rans, Giants) Dak was back to putting up more normal numbers .
Expect that from Dalton going forward.

I hope he plays well for the Cowboy's sake, but that's about it.

John813

Reaction score
Imagine Dalton having a decent run and Dak getting the transition tag and getting an offer? Cowboys decide to take the 2 1st round picks (instead of mathcing) plus their own and have 2 1st round picks for next season and 2 the season after, you could set up the future nicely with that kind of capital (if you draft wisely). Everything will depend on what Dalton does this year. If Dalton tanks Dak gets his deal if Dalton shines then everything i said will be on the table for the Cowboys

You mean franchise tag. Transition tag is match or walkaway. Hey, if some team wants to do it, I would be fine with it. Just got to hope they hit on the next QB sooner than later.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
You mean franchise tag. Transition tag is match or walkaway. Hey, if some team wants to do it, I would be fine with it. Just got to hope they hit on the next QB sooner than later.

It's only a match or walkaway if he gets an offer. If he doesn't get an offer then the transition tag amount comes into play for the season and the transition tag is always less money than the franchise/exlusive tag amount