Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Depends on how well the team does with Dalton. Dak on the transition tag would likely illicit some offers, two 1st round picks next year and two the year after (ours and theirs for both years) is a very enticing proposition for the team, we have alot of holes to fill.

Your insults are childish try to have a discussion without them, if your capable of that

Getting a franchise/top 10 QB is the primary goal of every owner when building a team. Hoping that a guy like Jerry is just going to sell one off is pretty laughable. But you can dream about it if you like.

So in all your worldly football wisdom, how do you think the team is going to do going forward? Don't expect 450 yard passing games and 37 points a game under Dalton.

Only hope they have is that they defense gets healthy and the pass rush begins to make the defense at least average. Then of course the schedule is easy with the NFC East.

kskboys

Reaction score
You're confusing to different things. What or how a player spends his money has ZERO to do with if he gets another contract. If people hear of a guy who only makes 30K who is taking care of his immediate family and also helping out some other relatives people say what a great guy he is but if a player does it in a much larger scale then he's not very bright. Like I said if Prescott was spending his money on foolish things like exotic cars and multiple boats and other boggles then I would agree with you, but taking care of his family and relatives, no. If more people did what Prescott does this country would be a better place.
Ah, you missed the point entirely. How someone/anyone spends their paycheck has absolutely nothing to do w/ any future paycheck/salary/contract. It is entirely and completely irrelevant.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Getting a franchise/top 10 QB is the primary goal of every owner when building a team. Hoping that a guy like Jerry is just going to sell one off is pretty laughable. But you can dream about it if you like.

So in all your worldly football wisdom, how do you think the team is going to do going forward? Don't expect 450 yard passing games and 37 points a game under Dalton.

Only hope they have is that they defense gets healthy and the pass rush begins to make the defense at least average. Then of course the schedule is easy with the NFC East.

I would hope that under Dalton we don't fall behind in games 41-14 going into the 4th quarter but if we do i would fully expect him to pick up the same yards as Dak did while other teams sit back on a big lead. And again it is on the D that we gave up those 41 points but it is also on the Offense that we had no response while the D was giving up those points

P.S. Dak only had 266 yards against a good Rams D and he only had 166 yards late in the 3rd against a solid Giants D when he got hurt. Can't play the terrible Atlanta and Seattle D's every week

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would hope that under Dalton we don't fall behind in games 41-14 going into the 4th quarter but if we do i would fully expect him to pick up the same yards as Dak did while other teams sit back on a big lead. And again it is on the D that we gave up those 41 points but it is also on the Offense that we had no response while the D was giving up those points

P.S. Dak only had 266 yards against a good Rams D and he only had 166 yards late in the 3rd against a solid Giants D when he got hurt. Can't play the terrible Atlanta and Seattle D's every week

YOu can hope all you want, but its not going to happen. Your Dalton dreams will be crushed.

Dak broke the record for passing yards through 4 games. Kurt Warners record. Any more dumb comments you want to throw out there?

39 points per game the D has given up. Worst in all time history. What...……………..nothing to nit pick there eh?

Is your hero Dalton going to play D? Im sure he will survive those 300 yard rushing games just fine. Wont fall behind at all. :muttley::muttley::muttley:

So you say the D gave up 41 points in 3 quarters? Wow, what a defense. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Ah, you missed the point entirely. How someone/anyone spends their paycheck has absolutely nothing to do w/ any future paycheck/salary/contract. It is entirely and completely irrelevant.

Here's the order of things. First you said "Someone spending their entire huge paycheck certainly is not why they deserve more." and I replied with "What or how a player spends his money has ZERO to do with if he gets another contract". You then replied the above saying I didn't get it and you then repeated exactly what I said that how a player spends his money has ZERO to do with if he gets another contract. I went on to explain a case that actually was on national news last year although I didn't mention that it was and how most in his community thinks so highly of him for what he was doing on limited income and how when a player does the same thing in a much larger scale people are saying he wasn't very smart to do it. Now who is missing the point entirely?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
YOu can hope all you want, but its not going to happen. Your Dalton dreams will be crushed.

Dak broke the record for passing yards through 4 games. Kurt Warners record. Any more dumb comments you want to throw out there?

39 points per game the D has given up. Worst in all time history. What...……………..nothing to nit pick there eh?

Is your hero Dalton going to play D? Im sure he will survive those 300 yard rushing games just fine. Wont fall behind at all. :muttley::muttley::muttley:

So you say the D gave up 41 points in 3 quarters? Wow, what a defense. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao:

And wow the offense was completly silent and dead while the D gave up 34 unanswered points....Wow what an offense going against a terrible Cleveland D :laugh::laugh::lmao::lmao2:

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's the order of things. First you said "Someone spending their entire huge paycheck certainly is not why they deserve more." and I replied with "What or how a player spends his money has ZERO to do with if he gets another contract". You then replied the above saying I didn't get it and you then repeated exactly what I said that how a player spends his money has ZERO to do with if he gets another contract. I went on to explain a case that actually was on national news last year although I didn't mention that it was and how most in his community thinks so highly of him for what he was doing on limited income and how when a player does the same thing in a much larger scale people are saying he wasn't very smart to do it. Now who is missing the point entirely?
Set for life. That was what the argument about. You argued that he wasn't set for life due to his expenses. My argument is that your argument is invalid, because wasting your money is irrelevent on whether a person is set for life or not.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dalton’s play should be irrelevant to Dak, considering our roster per Dak-stans sucks and we are going to lose anyways.. Dalton will just be a cheaper guy to lose with, while we rebuild the depleted roster that became depleted while this Jason Garrett of QBs in training kept floundering around..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And wow the offense was completly silent and dead while the D gave up 34 unanswered points....Wow what an offense going against a terrible Cleveland D :laugh::laugh::lmao::lmao2:

So lets see...……...Cowboys got out to a 14-7 lead at halftime. Oh well...…...there goes your "Offense always starts out slow" dumb comment.

34 unanswered? They answer it with 24 in the 4th quarter. Try AGAIN troll!!!

Now are you talking about the game where Dak threw for 500 yards and 4 TD's? The one where the offense scored 38 points and lost? Would that be the same game where they defense gave up 300 yards rushing and 49 points?

OUCH!!!!! Cmon, even a pathetic troll like you can do better then that!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
So lets see...……...Cowboys got out to a 14-7 lead at halftime. Oh well...…...there goes your "Offense always starts out slow" dumb comment.

34 unanswered? They answer it with 24 in the 4th quarter. Try AGAIN troll!!!

Now are you talking about the game where Dak threw for 500 yards and 4 TD's? The one where the offense scored 38 points and lost? Would that be the same game where they defense gave up 300 yards rushing and 49 points?

OUCH!!!!! Cmon, even a pathetic troll like you can do better then that!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

I don't have to try again you made my point for me the 34 points went unanswered for 2 quarters while Cleveland built up that big lead then when they sat back in the 4th quarter Dak and the offense piled up a bunch of useless stats.

Again try to have a discussion without the childish insults...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Set for life. That was what the argument about. You argued that he wasn't set for life due to his expenses. My argument is that your argument is invalid, because wasting your money is irrelevent on whether a person is set for life or not.

I've always respected your views on things even if I didn't agree with all of them but you've really got me stumped on this one. If Prescott between taxes both federal and all the state taxes in the states the Cowboys play in, agent fee, a mortgage many many many many times larger than ours, helping out relatives so his money dwindles down to what he actually has after that, remembering he still has bills that are much much much higher than ours and you think he still is set for life. To many people equate that 31 mil as what he has as disposable income and it's not anywhere close to that. If you were struggling and a relative helped you out would still call that help wasting money? Like I've said you're trying to make what Prescott has done by helping relatives as the same thing as buying exotic cars and boats and other boggles wasting money. I remember Emmitt Smith doing the very same thing so did you say he wasted his money too?

If I won a million dollars, yes even after taxes I would be set for life but I'm 39 years older than him and don't have the majority of my life ahead of me. I don't have kids that I'm going to have to pay for or send to college in the future. So if after all of his expenditures he still has a couple million dollars for a 27 year old is by no means saying in today's world that he is now set for life.

We're going to have to say we agree to disagree on this.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

That's a crock. The browns for the past couple of decades has had no offense but the defense the past couple of years has steadily improved and in 2018 the browns had the 4th ranked defense, in 2019 they were the 11th ranked defense so to say the browns have a terrible defense is a crock.

Dre11

Reaction score
This is crazy, Dalton's play will not affect Dak's future. Dak will be the qb of the Dallas Cowboys when he comes back. If Dalton turns out a good performance the rest of the year, he will parlay that into a starting job elsewhere.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
I don't have to try again you made my point for me the 34 points went unanswered for 2 quarters while Cleveland built up that big lead then when they sat back in the 4th quarter Dak and the offense piled up a bunch of useless stats.

How are they "useless stats" when Dak brought us back within 3 points with 6 mins to go in the 4th?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Dak never regains the Dallas starting job:
Dallas has a surprisingly successful season with Dalton at the helm (gets resigned on a much cheaper team-friendly deal than Dak's contract demands/the QB franchise tag); or
Dallas sucks the rest of the season, and hence an opportunity to draft/or slightly trade up for a top-notch cheap young healthy QB in the 1st round on a rookie contract (Justin Fields, for instance.).
It is a business.
It is a business.

Correct.

I think that is what shapes Dak and his decisions.

That and his agent that is who has been pounding Saks ear about playing things just right.

The agent knows Dallas wants to keep Dak. The agent knows Dak wants Dallas.

So the agent has shown Dak how to play the game. You make your an offer beyond what is really what you will take..

And you keep moving the goal posts so the team raises their offer closer to where you will sign. Then you mull that offer and slightly move the goal posts again to watch the response.

That is clearly what is happening.

In the meantime Dak accepts the $32 mil Tag and he has gotten a huge hurdle accomplished. He has now been slotted with the other Top 5 Qbs in the league.

Now the injury fallout. Dak is not playing. He really can't be evaluated over the course of the year. We do not know how he would finish the race for his next contract. We can only look at 5 games.

Now what?

This is the business side rearing its head.

I think despite all the verbal ques we see from Stephen and Jerrah about Dak is our QB..

everybody knows conditions are uncertain going forward.

Dak knows b/w pandemic and Tagging there is a disconnect. His agent knows it too. The landscape has changed. The old negotiations are a wash.

No longer relevant.

I think it has changed so much that Dallas will have to rely on letting Dak be a FA to see what other teams will offer Dak.

This lets all parties evaluate with the same information. The fly in the ointment is that other teams know that unless their offer is magnitudes above Dallas' ability to match an offer..

Dak more than likely returns to Dallas.

Therefore offers from other teams maybe lower than a Dallas offer and that works against Dak. If it's higher than Dallas then Dak has to evaluate if that team has their roster complete enough that in a reasonable amount of time he can be added to their roster with enough to compete for SB rings.

It's a tough decision for Dak especially with little to no history about how he will play post recovery from his ankle injury. Teams won't know.

I really think Dallas will resign him. But for what and how long I could not begin to guess.

But I do know we will all follow this and debate this the whole way.

It's what we do.

:starspin:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
That's a crock. The browns for the past couple of decades has had no offense but the defense the past couple of years has steadily improved and in 2018 the browns had the 4th ranked defense, in 2019 they were the 11th ranked defense so to say the browns have a terrible defense is a crock.

And in 2020 which is the season we are in, after 5 weeks they are the 22nd ranked D in the NFL in yards allowed and the 25th ranked D in points allowed looks like by your numbers they have been getting worse every year since 2018

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
How are they "useless stats" when Dak brought us back within 3 points with 6 mins to go in the 4th?

Where was our offense when the Cleveland D wasn't sitting back in the 2nd and 3rd quarters? When we put up zero points? Only when Cleveland started sitting back in the 4th was our offense able to make a comeback. If our offense had done anything in the 2nd and 3rd quarters we wouldn't have been behind 41-14 going into the 4th...then maybe we might have actually been able to win the game.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

Ironically, Prescott has to root against Dallas for his future in Dallas.

Dalton could win every game and it won’t matter. Dak is our franchise QB today, tomorrow and for the next several years. Dalton is a place holder and nothing more.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

so the defense game up 34 points in one quarter? LOL

Yah, you made the point. The defense sucks.