Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

12+88=7

Reaction score
Just because a deal was offered doesn't matter.

Things are not static, things change. Different scenarios appear that were not there when negotiations were last held.

For those that believe that success by Dalton and the team will not affect future negotiations, are thinking like a fan and not a team. Always think like a team.

The Dallas front office has shown on more than one occasion that this is a business deal and will be treated like one.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Apples to oranges. If the reports are true then Dallas offered Dak a good deal multiple times this offseason and he turned it down. After factoring in the injury Dak will certainly sign a reasonable deal, and the Cowboys will certainly offer one. Assuming it won't happen because we thought it would for a number of years is asinine. Having Dalton on a year that he needs to show his best to play is great, but unless a miracle happens there is pretty much 0 chance this defense can get us further than the divisional round. Dak was putting up historical numbers so there's no way Dalton out plays him. Maybe Dalton starting will coincide with the team stopping the turnovers and getting some help back on defense but I just don't see the upside of signing Dalton long term even if we make the playoffs.
I do not see it quite like that.

If everything was pre-virus maybe your scenario works out.

But not with the changes in the sport.

The cap crashes next year. Players that are swimming in cash are going to voluntarily take payouts or be released.

In a real world..this is coming.

Recently Dallas has been reworking deals to roll cap savings into next year to help off set the coming recession in the sport of empty stadiums.

We all have to wait and see what happens.

Dak too.

jnday

Reaction score
There were post that Prescott was going to be extended in 2018. Didn't happen.

Prescott was going to sign a long term deal last year. Didn't happen.

Deadlines make deals. July 15th nothing.

Now Prescott is out for the year. And what I'm hearing is that no matter what success Dalton and the team have Prescott will be the quarterback next year, no doubt. It's these absolutes that I question because there are always options.

Stop thinking as a fan and think like a team. It's business.
If Dalton puts up a lot of wins, it would be great for the fans and team if winning is the team and fan’s goal as it should be.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

Ironically, Prescott has to root against Dallas for his future in Dallas.

Keeping it simple it is what the Yellow Jacket man says it is....

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

After seeing the reaction of players and fans from around the NFL, it would not be good for business to let Dak go for nothing. Tagging Dak will happen. There are teams that would trade at least a 1st round pick for him. I believe Dak will sign a long term deal. He would be stupid to play another season under the tag.

jnday

Reaction score
Just because a deal was offered doesn't matter.

Things are not static, things change. Different scenarios appear that were not there when negotiations were last held.

For those that believe that success by Dalton and the team will not affect future negotiations, are thinking like a fan and not a team. Always think like a team.

The Dallas front office has shown on more than one occasion that this is a business deal and will be treated like one.
Winning should be the top priority for this team and it will make the business side of things much better. If Dalton turns this team around and gets to the playoffs, it absolutely should give more leverage to the team. Dalton could reach the Super Bowl and the Jones family would still find a way to screw it up.

Swagger

Reaction score

I agree and made a similar point on another thread but got shot down for it.

I will go further and add that Prescott fans will be rooting against the team this season as well for the same reason.

I will also add another dimension to your point in that if Dalton plays well and the team wins the division then there must be a strong chance that the front office will take the view of drafting a rookie QB in the first round and ride that contract for 4-5 years for what under $30 million rather than paying Prescott $175-200 million.

We have just seen that whilst their teams are not winning due to issues unrelated to them both Herbert and Burrow are balling out so it's not impossible to draft a high quality QB in the first round as some would have you believe. It's not as if Mahomes, Jackson and Allen were drafted in the first round in recent years...oh hang on they were!

phildadon86

Reaction score
Romo was tossed to the curb by this FO what makes you think they won’t do the same to Dak if Dalton ends up leading the team to a division title while playing well? Why would you want to pay Dak a ridiculous contract that will hamper the team’s ability to improve other areas if you don’t have to?

Those who assume Dak will be back next year are fooling themselves. This is a business and signing Dak to 40/per would be a bad business decision.
Romo was tossed to the curb because his body couldnt handle the NFL anymore. Not even close to the same situation. And paying or not paying Dak wont make this FO suddenly value defense. They had Dak at pennies on the dollar and didnt improve the defense. lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Now Prescott is out for the year. And what I'm hearing is that no matter what success Dalton and the team have Prescott will be the quarterback next year, no doubt. It's these absolutes that I question because there are always options.

There is an option he likely will not get the contract he wanted prior to the injury. I don't think the Cowboys have the distaste for Dak as some fans, I do believe they view Dak as a top QB and will bring him back. I guess I could say the same thing stop thinking as a fan whose view of Dak is less than that of the team

InTheZone

Reaction score
I don't see why people want us to go the way of the Eagles after they won their Super Bowl. How's life been for them since?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

There is only a competition in the minds of some fans, most of whom apparently haven't seen Dalton play a full game since he left TCU.

Jerry and Stephen have made their position on the matter clear, as recently as yesterday, but y'all have at it. :muttley:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I do not see it quite like that.

If everything was pre-virus maybe your scenario works out.

But not with the changes in the sport.

The cap crashes next year. Players that are swimming in cash are going to voluntarily take payouts or be released.

In a real world..this is coming.

Recently Dallas has been reworking deals to roll cap savings into next year to help off set the coming recession in the sport of empty stadiums.

We all have to wait and see what happens.

Dak too.
I am not sure if it the cap goes down. Maybe stays the same which is about the same thing when teams do there cap work.

I think they almost depend on the cap going up.

We should be able to save enough to sign Dak and the way they can play with the money it maybe the only way to keep him cause they can front end load the money so the cap hit is small that year.

If Dalton does a great job then he is gonna want big money also.

We aren’t going to have much money to spend on Defense. Will need a unreal draft.

csirl

Reaction score
The majority of predictions about Dak's contract made on CZ in recent years have been very wrong. Too many people fall for the teams PR statements, the purpose of which is to generate ticket, jersey sales etc. The PR world is not real.

Cowboys didnt sign a fully healthy Dak to a long term contract - which was predictable when the scenario is looked at via front office eyes.

There is no chance they will sign a player - who they only gave a 1 yr rental to - coming off a serious, possibly limiting, injury to anything resembling a franchise QB deal.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes just seen this. That's basically the scenario isn't it.
Dalton dictates the future of Dak in Dallas

It's a reality people around here don't want to talk about. Why pay a guy 40m to do a job that a guy making 25m can do. If Dalton bombs Dak gets the big deal but if Dalton shines with this offense the Cowboys won't be so quick to pay Dak the money he wants. At his age if Dalton were to shine this year the Cowboys would get him signed to a 3 year deal for 25-30m per and then another year down the road draft the next guy to take over from Dalton.

Last edited:

12+88=7

Reaction score
There is only a competition in the minds of some fans, most of whom apparently haven't seen Dalton play a full game since he left TCU.

Jerry and Stephen have made their position on the matter clear, as recently as yesterday, but y'all have at it. :muttley:

The front office have said words before that meant nothing in the end.

A scenario where Dalton and the team having success will not alter the negotiations between Prescott and the team are only fooling themselves.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score

I can't help thinking like a fan....I am one from the 60's. The best business decision is to keep Dak if he can still play and that is what will happen as long as he is able.

Maybe you need to stop thinking like a Dallas Cowboys Fanzone troll.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
If the offense is successful with Dalton, it absolutely will drive down Daks price. And the reverse is also true. If dalton stinks it up, Dak will look better in everyone's eyes.

Swagger

Reaction score
It's a reality people around here don't want to talk about. Why pay a guy 40m to do a job that a guy making 25m can do. If Dalton bombs Dak gets the big deal but if Dalton shines with this offense the Cowboys won't be so quick to pay Dak the money he wants. At his age if Dalton were to shine this year the Cowboys would get him signed to a 3 year deal for 25-30m per and then another year down the road draft the next guy to take over from Dalton.
Yes very similar to Tannehill at the Titans especially in terms of how they play on offense with Henry.

Bennie

Reaction score
Lol. Dak's the franchise quarterback for years to come. Hypothetically speaking, should Dalton take this team to the promised land, he'll just be another Foles.

Dak isn't a franchise caliber QB. Why sign him long term? He isn't special and can be easily replaced for a lesser cap hit with the same results. After 4 years tell me what he does on the field that is so special? How's his arm talent? How's his mechanics, or pocket presence? Does he make a difference and does he make it easier on those around him? The answer is no!!!