Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

Swagger

Reaction score
The only way Dalton even sparks a conversation about not signing Dak is if he gets this team to the Super Bowl. 8-8 and one and done in the playoffs aint gonna get it done. And the only way even winning the wildcard round sparks any conversation is if Dalton throws for like 400 yards and 4 TDs in a losing cause in the divisional. I see this as being very similar to the Wentz/Foles situation. Foles went in and had a nice 7 game hot stretch but the Eagles knew who their future was at QB. Maybe Pederson is smarter than our coaches.. Time will tell.
I disagree.

If we win the division and a play off game then I do not see Dak playing for Dallas again. He might be signed to be traded but he won't be signed to play.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There is only a competition in the minds of some fans, most of whom apparently haven't seen Dalton play a full game since he left TCU.

Jerry and Stephen have made their position on the matter clear, as recently as yesterday, but y'all have at it. :muttley:

Right? Hope posting at its finest. They left out a scenario. Dalton balls out enough to field an insane offer elsewhere ... and takes it. At that point, "what do leverage mean?"

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

Ironically, Prescott has to root against Dallas for his future in Dallas.
I honestly think Dalton is happy to be here and will remain with the Cowboys as our back up, surprising everyone.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Eh, Dak doesn't seem like the type of guy that would be rooting for the Cowboys to lose with Dalton as QB.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Romo was tossed to the curb because his body couldnt handle the NFL anymore. Not even close to the same situation. And paying or not paying Dak wont make this FO suddenly value defense. They had Dak at pennies on the dollar and didnt improve the defense. lol

Everyone assumed Romo was done but he didn’t look done in practice or when he came in for a series and made it look easy. He was the better QB but was kept on the bench and then released.

Dak isn't worth near what he wants. I don’t care what other QBs signed for.

If Dalton shows he can play well and lead the team to wins (something Dak wasn’t doing BTW) than the decision should be quite easy.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

No. No it will not.

conner01

Reaction score

I don’t see anyone signing dalton to a long term deal at 33 when no one sniffed at the idea at 32

remdak

Reaction score
I don't think anything will change. Dak will eventually sign a very lucrative deal. He is young and wants to be a Cowboy.
If anything, Jerry wants to pay him more now. He loves these sappy stories.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Everyone assumed Romo was done but he didn’t look done in practice or when he came in for a series and made it look easy. He was the better QB but was kept on the bench and then released.

Dak isn't worth near what he wants. I don’t care what other QBs signed for.

If Dalton shows he can play well and lead the team to wins (something Dak wasn’t doing BTW) than the decision should be quite easy.
Oh thats right. Another one who blames the QB for losses. Our defense is giving up 30 plus points a game. But its Dak's fault lol.

Proof

Reaction score
I agree and made a similar point on another thread but got shot down for it.

I will go further and add that Prescott fans will be rooting against the team this season as well for the same reason.

I will also add another dimension to your point in that if Dalton plays well and the team wins the division then there must be a strong chance that the front office will take the view of drafting a rookie QB in the first round and ride that contract for 4-5 years for what under $30 million rather than paying Prescott $175-200 million.

We have just seen that whilst their teams are not winning due to issues unrelated to them both Herbert and Burrow are balling out so it's not impossible to draft a high quality QB in the first round as some would have you believe. It's not as if Mahomes, Jackson and Allen were drafted in the first round in recent years...oh hang on they were!

lol. bad takes are bad.

fans won't root against the team, dak sure as hell won't, and no one said you it's impossible to draft a qb in the first round. are you reading the forum on a broken monitor?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

Dalton is probably gonna play all year and should prolly be resigned and extended 1 year for insurance just in case

I don't question his ability to play. He has better touch and accuracy throwing the deep ball. Imo. He's just not that mobile and as strong and durable as dak.

What I do question is our offenses ability to design some quick throws to offset the oline weaknesses. Were treating every passing snap like we have 5-6 seconds to throw the ball. Lol. That's gonna lead to disastrous plays if we dont change the monotony of the formations and personnel.

One thing is for certain. This offense can continue along w these scrub tes being overinvolved in our passing game. Especially in critical down and distances and game winning situations. They have no big play capabilities so they shouldnt be asked to do stuff with skillsets they dont have.

The monotony of the 11-12 formations spell the playcall. These tes dont have the talent to overcome this monotony and the offense gets weakened.

Theres no doubt our 4 best wrs are unstoppable w all that speed and talent wise. But you gotta learn to run the ball in it and stop all of the duck duck goose vanilla 11 and 12 formations because there is no element of surprize.

10+ years of the same monotonous formations leave no element of surprize and these tes are just one less weapon in a passing offense that isnt clutch enough to win games.

If you got only the best 5 Out of 6 sled dogs the worst dog is gonna hold the whole pack back. Thats what these tes do to the wrs. Sit Schultz and go 4 wide on occasion and beat somebody with some firepower on occasion. The defense is gonna back up and you run it and pass it down their throat situationally.

We dont have that Jared Cook like deep threat gamechanging te who can win games and overcome the monotony. Theres so many problems with this offense using the same vanilla scheme over and over in a losing fashion that is not clutch. I dont care about that empty calorie te production if we cant score and win against the good teams.

If we want to stop all the qb fumbling then get some firepower out there and drag the defense on their heels with all of that speed w one less linebacker on the field. The play opens up faster and we got the sauce at wr and rb. But we got the same ole doodoopie using these tes as anchors in our passing game. Js. Got to find some way to get a better skilled player out there even if it means abandoning this ignorant te passing scheme which is hit or miss. Usually missing against the over .500 teams

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
lol. bad takes are bad.

fans won't root against the team, dak sure as hell won't, and no one said you it's impossible to draft a qb in the first round. are you reading the forum on a broken monitor?

I'm sure that some are hoping that Dak is resentful enough to cheer against the team with Dalton as the QB, because it would justify their negative views of him as a QB.

Swagger

Reaction score
lol. bad takes are bad.

Some fans will root against the team because they want Prescott to be the QB of their team for the foreseeable future.

You are naive to think a part of Prescott does not want Dalton to ball out because he has to for this team to make the play offs with this defense. And that's not a knock on Prescott as anyone with a competitive element to their make up would feel the same. You don't want a guy taking your spot. Of course you want the team to win but you hope the guy replacing you doesn't play well. That happens in every team sport at every level.

Reading comments on here over the past year countless posters claimed that it would be highly unlikely (my impossible comment was tongue in cheek as the claims by some on here were ridiculous) that we could draft a good QB in the first round.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Some fans will root against the team because they want Prescott to be the QB of their team for the foreseeable future.

You are naive to think a part of Prescott does not want Dalton to ball out because he has to for this team to make the play offs with this defense. And that's not a knock on Prescott as anyone with a competitive element to their make up would feel the same. You don't want a guy taking your spot. Of course you want the team to win but you hope the guy replacing you doesn't play well. That happens in every team sport at every level.

Reading comments on here over the past year countless posters claimed that it would be highly unlikely (my impossible comment was tongue in cheek as the claims by some on here were ridiculous) that we could draft a good QB in the first round.

There were Cowboys fans who refused to support Dak and now want everyone to unite behind Dalton. Anti-Dak fans are just as bias in wanting Dalton to be successful so that their hatred of Dak can be justified and so that Dak can be gone.. And some fans take it behind just criticizing him and his play on the field.

Cowboys fans who got upset at Dak receiving any praise or credit whenever he accomplished something or did something well.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I am not sure if it the cap goes down. Maybe stays the same which is about the same thing when teams do there cap work.

I think they almost depend on the cap going up.

We should be able to save enough to sign Dak and the way they can play with the money it maybe the only way to keep him cause they can front end load the money so the cap hit is small that year.

If Dalton does a great job then he is gonna want big money also.

We aren’t going to have much money to spend on Defense. Will need a unreal draft.
I am with you on that.

The thing about this entire situation..

The Tag..

the contract

the length of the deal

now the injury and rehab needed

the upfront money

the shrinking cap..

the other player contracts needing money

the FA contracts we will need to sign

this next draft and it's money set aside

Aldon Smith and his new deal..

There is just a lot to figure out.

And where does all the money come from?

I cannot see the cap staying the same.

I suppose the league could allow teams to use this year's cap again and spread the shortfall across multiple years.

That would help insure teams remain competitive. But that surely means a sharp raise in ticket prices and concession stand prices and parking etc.

Advertising costs will rise..even our cable and telephone fees will go up. This all has to be supported by us the fans.

That's the bigger picture.

It all a question mark wrapped in an exclamation point.

I really do not want to pound out too many posts about things until the season is over.

So much is going to ebb and flow.

Yikes.

:huh:

Verdict

Reaction score
No it doesn't. He may not get the deal he had hoped for but I do think he will return as QB regardless of Dalton or the season
Tony Romo says hello. Lol. I agree that’s the most likely scenario, but Tony Romo/Dak situation indicates it can happen.

It’s similar to the Wentz/Foles deal too in a lot of ways.

blueblood70

Reaction score

So Foles takes over and brings a SB to Philly , next season wentz gets his job back, gets hurt again and foles wins another playoff game and nearly beats the saints, he was let go over wentz

so AD no matter how well he plays doesnt necessarily have Daks future in his hands..