Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I think they have been very clear. Dak is their long term future. If Dallas wins this year (which is a mighty big stretch) then Dalton will be our Foles. The chances of us winning it all with this defense is like finding someone saying 2020 has been the best year ever.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
But we also know there is another side of the ball game and that is defense which is outside of the control of Dak or Dalton. If defense can shows some signs of life and start playing much better than they are now then yes I expect Dallas to be able to win games. Cowboys still have weapons on offense and these guys are producing. I fully expect them to continue to produce with Dalton

Exactly if its just wins or losses with the worst defense in the league, no QB will be good.....your not beating good teams with the worste defesne and special teams in the league....

Philmonroe

Reaction score
It's a reality people around here don't want to talk about. Why pay a guy 40m to do a job that a guy making 25m can do. If Dalton bombs Dak gets the big deal but if Dalton shines with this offense the Cowboys won't be so quick to pay Dak the money he wants. At his age if Dalton were to shine this year the Cowboys would get him signed to a 3 year deal for 25-30m per and then another year down the road draft the next guy to take over from Dalton.
Isnt that what basically happened in Tennessee?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
If the offense is successful with Dalton, it absolutely will drive down Daks price. And the reverse is also true. If dalton stinks it up, Dak will look better in everyone's eyes.
I don't think Dalton will stink. I think he will be comparable but not as good as Dak. I'm looking at it on the moneyball level lol. Now if he ends up comparable but not as good as Dak do you pay that extra 10-15 million for the difference in production? I guess we won't know until the end of the season.

basel90

Reaction score
But thats the thing, how many good teams you going to beat with the worste defense in the league..again If the record is a QB stat again then it really isn't fair to Dalton either.....

To me if you've watched this team this year....no QB is winning crucial games with the other phases being this bad....
i agree, with a bad defense there is no hope for a SB or CCG etc. Some lost games were winnable with an elite QB.

starfan1

Reaction score
lol have you all seen this defense? Unless someone other than Dallas cowboys show up in cowboy uniforms I find anything beyond the division and a quick exit dreaming. We are they same team that was here this time last week and weaker at the main position.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Anything's possible. The results will speak for themselves.

I don't think the odds are high for Dalton to perform at a level that makes the organization want to move away from Dak. But then who thought a rookie fourth round pick could make the organization move on from Romo? You truly never know.

I'm certainly rooting for a Foles-like situation where we achieve unprecedented success and the organization is left with a difficult decision on its hands.
Why wouldn't the odds be high? Dalton put up similar numbers in first few years as Dak iirc. Heck I think Dak is Dalton if he was drafted by the Bengals. I've always said them two Cousins and Alex Smith are the same level of QB. They're just good enough to keep the average fan wanting them but you have to pull a KC(and obviously get it right) to truly get better.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
There were Cowboys fans who refused to support Dak and now want everyone to unite behind Dalton. Anti-Dak fans are just as bias in wanting Dalton to be successful so that their hatred of Dak can be justified and so that Dak can be gone.. And some fans take it behind just criticizing him and his play on the field.

Cowboys fans who got upset at Dak receiving any praise or credit whenever he accomplished something or did something well.
Who are these fans who refused to support Dak but unite behind Dalton and or criticize him off the field? People love getting online and mentioning some nebulous "they" with no proof. You can find maybe 1/2 serious posters that fit your claims but the majority just trying to see wins one way or another. They might not like Dak as QB but all this Dalton love I'm not really seeing it outside of the same few people we all know. Don't make the minority of the fans the majority.

Qcard

Reaction score
But we also know there is another side of the ball game and that is defense which is outside of the control of Dak or Dalton. If defense can shows some signs of life and start playing much better than they are now then yes I expect Dallas to be able to win games. Cowboys still have weapons on offense and these guys are producing. I fully expect them to continue to produce with Dalton
Dalton's production in season has never been a problem. Dalton has had much better defenses than Romo, I'd argue.

Dalton always wilts against Winning teams and in the playoffs (0-5).

Though, I agree if Cowboys pull a complete Philly then Dalton is our Foles. I'd tag Dak and sign Dalton and let them compete in camp.

But DiNucci is the wild card. DiNucci is also in play. We won't stick through a Dalton cycle

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
if he takes us to the super bowl and wins, it won't change anything for dak any more than folse's performance did for wentz. dak's our guy. that won't change. and if he does well, we won't be able to afford to keep them both. ergo, dandy andy goes somewhere else and gets big bucks there.

Foles was basically a career backup, Dalton was a 9 year starter not the same thing at all

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Good point but at this point in Dalton's career. If he doesn't pull a Foles then Dalton is a Foles type FA

Dalton took a job as a backup with the Cowboys this year (his choice) now if he takes the team far as Dak's replacement all he is doing is cementing his stature as a starting QB not a backup and if he doesn't do well then you might be correct and he will be relegated to a backup role the rest of his career, but that's all on Dalton

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Dalton's play will not decide anything regarding Dak. He's going to be 33 in a couple of weeks. Dalton is not a long-term solution and I'm damn sure not going to support signing Dalton to anything close to $20M or $25M annually. Guy is currently on a 1-year deal for $3M. Anyone willing to toss a multi-year contract at $20M or $25M for Dalton is out of their mind.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
In context only...I dont think the actual play of the players was the same...I dont think you do either....
I didn't say they were. I said a similar situation happened and that's exactly what I meant. Its obvious that we see Dak differently though. I see him as Dalton level as a QB. I think most of y'all don't because of team bias but around a similar point in their careers(4/5 years playing) they have comparable numbers. I don't think its as much of a slam dunk as you and others think even though I'll even give you Dak is probably a little better but not 10-15 million better.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Dalton took a job as a backup with the Cowboys this year (his choice) now if he takes the team far as Dak's replacement all he is doing is cementing his stature as a starting QB not a backup and if he doesn't do well then you might be correct and he will be relegated to a backup role the rest of his career, but that's all on Dalton

If this team wasn't trying to set records on Defense, and with how many O-lineman can play in a year, I would give him a better shot...Dalton is comming into a horrible spot behind a QB who was playing at a high level...........I'm not sure what other picture can be painted from this..

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dalton's play will not decide anything regarding Dak. He's going to be 33 in a couple of weeks. Dalton is not a long-term solution and I'm damn sure not going to support signing Dalton to anything close to $20M or $25M annually. Guy is currently on a 1-year deal for $3M. Anyone willing to toss a multi-year contract at $20M or $25M for Dalton is out of their mind.
Don't really need him as a long term solution just a stop gap while getting an early rd cheap QB. He's still young enough at that position that a 2/3 year deal would work.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I didn't say they were. I said a similar situation happened and that's exactly what I meant. Its obvious that we see Dak differently though. I see him as Dalton level as a QB. I think most of y'all don't because of team bias but around a similar point in their careers(4/5 years playing) they have comparable numbers. I don't think its as much of a slam dunk as you and others think even though I'll even give you Dak is probably a little better but not 10-15 million better.

I understand the money stance...and I'm all for a winning formula no matter who the QB is, I just need to see that saving money at the QB position is a winning formula.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
According to Jerry and Stephen. Dak is still the guy. Now if Dalton goes out and puts up great numbers close to or better then Dak was doing before injury. Then we might have something to discuss. But in all likely hood we probably will finish 6-10 or 7-9 under Dalton. I still don't think he'll last the whole season if he takes the hits Dak has taken through the years. But on the bright side? 6 and 10 may win this division:facepalm: