Dalton's play will decide Prescott's future

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tony Romo says hello. Lol. I agree that’s the most likely scenario, but Tony Romo/Dak situation indicates it can happen.

It’s similar to the Wentz/Foles deal too in a lot of ways.

Yeah and Romo was a much older QB, when Romo had his 1st back surgery did Dallas bring him back? sure but as Romo got older just as when Aikman got older and injuries were becoming more and more of a factor then the ball club moved on. Dak has no history of injury and is still a young player so I think that is one big difference. Dallas is not going to build around Dalton I think most level headed people would agree to that.

Proof

Reaction score
Some fans will root against the team because they want Prescott to be the QB of their team for the foreseeable future.

You are naive to think a part of Prescott does not want Dalton to ball out because he has to for this team to make the play offs with this defense. And that's not a knock on Prescott as anyone with a competitive element to their make up would feel the same. You don't want a guy taking your spot. Of course you want the team to win but you hope the guy replacing you doesn't play well. That happens in every team sport at every level.

Reading comments on here over the past year countless posters claimed that it would be highly unlikely (my impossible comment was tongue in cheek as the claims by some on here were ridiculous) that we could draft a good QB in the first round.

it is difficult to draft a good qb period. bust rates are high, trade ups are astronomically priced, and you have to be very, VERY bad to have good odds. that's a far cry from "it's highly unlikely we could draft a good qb in the first round". That's just strawmanning and semantics. For every Josh Allen, Lamar, Mahomes, or Herbert (potentially) there's a johnny manziel, a josh rosen, a haskins and many many more. . Nothing is guaranteed, and it's a far safer bet to overpay for a bird in hand, than to play qb roulette in general.

not wanting to lose your job out of competitive nature, and actively rooting for your team to lose are wholly different things.

12+88=7

Reaction score
So Foles takes over and brings a SB to Philly , next season wentz gets his job back, gets hurt again and foles wins another playoff game and nearly beats the saints, he was let go over wentz

so AD no matter how well he plays doesnt necessarily have Daks future in his hands..

Just because the scenario is similar, the players are different(Dallas front office vs Philadelphia).

Philadelphia stepped up immediately. Dallas on the other hand has dragged the process out for 2 plus years.

The actions or inactions of the front office has shown that there are no absolutes that Prescott will return.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Tony Romo says hello. Lol. I agree that’s the most likely scenario, but Tony Romo/Dak situation indicates it can happen.

It’s similar to the Wentz/Foles deal too in a lot of ways.
Not the same situation in either example. Dalton has played one quarter and nearly lost.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just because the scenario is similar, the players are different(Dallas front office vs Philadelphia).

Philadelphia stepped up immediately. Dallas on the other hand has dragged the process out for 2 plus years.

The actions or inactions of the front office has shown that there are no absolutes that Prescott will return.
doesnt mean the opposite either.

is philly thinking they made mistake at this point? maybe..does jerry see this? maybe a lot of maybe o_O:rolleyes:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah and Romo was a much older QB, when Romo had his 1st back surgery did Dallas bring him back? sure but as Romo got older just as when Aikman got older and injuries were becoming more and more of a factor then the ball club moved on. Dak has no history of injury and is still a young player so I think that is one big difference. Dallas is not going to build around Dalton I think most level headed people would agree to that.
If there were ever a year I was forced to pick Prescott sitting out, 2020 would be it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The only way Dalton even sparks a conversation about not signing Dak is if he gets this team to the Super Bowl. 8-8 and one and done in the playoffs aint gonna get it done.
And the only way even winning the wildcard round sparks any conversation is if Dalton throws for like 400 yards and 4 TDs in a losing cause in the divisional. I see this as being very similar to the Wentz/Foles situation. Foles went in and had a nice 7 game hot stretch but the Eagles knew who their future was at QB. Maybe Pederson is smarter than our coaches.. Time will tell.

100%

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Dalton getting the team to a Superbowl would be the only possible way that the Cowboys might choose to keep him over Dak. If Dalton is one and done, then that wouldn't be enough considering that it would just add to his total career playoff losses due to his playoff loss record with the Bengals. And looking at the bigger picture might come into play with the decision making. I don't know if that would be enough for the Joneses to be convince that Dalton can get it done, considering that he couldn't get it done with the Bengals and now wouldn't be able to get it done with a team that people are saying is more talented than anything the Bengals had with Dalton under center.

Dalton being one and done really wouldn't be able to prove that he is that much better than Dak, since Dak would have at last one playoff win. IMO it would take not just winning the division but Dalton going on a Foles type of performance throughout the playoffs while leading the Cowboys to a Superbowl appearance. Or getting the team to an NFC Championship game might be enough considering that the franchise hasn't been there in a long time.

Swagger

Reaction score
it is difficult to draft a good qb period. bust rates are high, trade ups are astronomically priced, and you have to be very, VERY bad to have good odds. that's a far cry from "it's highly unlikely we could draft a good qb in the first round". That's just strawmanning and semantics. For every Josh Allen, Lamar, Mahomes, or Herbert (potentially) there's a johnny manziel, a josh rosen, a haskins and many many more. . Nothing is guaranteed, and it's a far safer bet to overpay for a bird in hand, than to play qb roulette in general.

not wanting to lose your job out of competitive nature, and actively rooting for your team to lose are wholly different things.
I still disagree not with you but the general consensus of it's really difficult to draft a good quarterback with a premium pick. I liked Allen, Mahomes, Herbert before they were drafted and I didn't like Manziel (character), Haskens (overrated due to college environment), Mayfield (character and overrated). Classic after-timing but it was the case. I also think Josh Rosen would do well with a team that suits his skill set. He must have played on some of the worst offensive lines in the league every time he got a chance! Granted a more mobile quarterback would have done better but he has never really been given a fair shake. Whilst it's not easy I don't think it's just pot luck to research, analyse and draft a QB. For example, the Bills invested a huge amount of resources to assess and scout Josh Allen. They were all over him. They were sold on his character and that his raw ability would be harnessed over time. Last season some people were laughing at him but I always believed that he would come good and stated the same on here on numerous threads.

I still think Daniel Jones would do well at the Giants if he had a better offensive line. It has improved but people have already written him after mostly playing behind a horrid offensive line. Eli looked even worse and whilst yes he was getting on and he was always a bit Mr Magoo...he still won two Superbowl MVPs so there's obviously some issue with their offense. Any way I digress...

But not wanting to lose your job out of competitive nature is indirectly linked to rooting against your own team to win. Everyone knows how it works. Most people on here will have played team sports and know what it's like when you get injured playing for a good team. You should want the team to win and a good % of your general self will, however you will not want the guy filling in for you to do well and take your spot plus there would be a small % of your make up that will not want the team to win so that they value you higher upon your return.

CWR

Reaction score
I used to believe this was possible.

Until it became impossible to argue Dak was a product if the offense.

How can your success be tied into an offensive line that struggles to block and a stagnant run game?

As this year went on it started to look clear Dak is the engine that drives this team now.

Its not Zeke and its certainly not this mash unit of an oline.

Proof

Reaction score
I still disagree not with you but the general consensus of it's really difficult to draft a good quarterback with a premium pick. I liked Allen, Mahomes, Herbert before they were drafted and I didn't like Manziel (character), Haskens (overrated due to college environment), Mayfield (character and overrated). Classic after-timing but it was the case. I also think Josh Rosen would do well with a team that suits his skill set. He must have played on some of the worst offensive lines in the league every time he got a chance! Granted a more mobile quarterback would have done better but he has never really been given a fair shake. Whilst it's not easy I don't think it's just pot luck to research, analyse and draft a QB. For example, the Bills invested a huge amount of resources to assess and scout Josh Allen. They were all over him. They were sold on his character and that his raw ability would be harnessed over time. Last season some people were laughing at him but I always believed that he would come good and stated the same on here on numerous threads.

I still think Daniel Jones would do well at the Giants if he had a better offensive line. It has improved but people have already written him after mostly playing behind a horrid offensive line. Eli looked even worse and whilst yes he was getting on and he was always a bit Mr Magoo...he still won two Superbowl MVPs so there's obviously some issue with their offense. Any way I digress...

But not wanting to lose your job out of competitive nature is indirectly linked to rooting against your own team to win. Everyone knows how it works. Most people on here will have played team sports and know what it's like when you get injured playing for a good team. You should want the team to win and a good % of your general self will, however you will not want the guy filling in for you to do well and take your spot plus there would be a small % of your make up that will not want the team to win so that they value you higher upon your return.

fair enough. but i must have the last word

aikemirv

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

Ironically, Prescott has to root against Dallas for his future in Dallas.

It's simple, Daltons play should decide Dak's future with the Cowboys. If a QB who has struggled with his past team for the last few years comes in and does well it just shows that the team is bigger than the player at the QB position.

I don't know how else you could interpret a good result from Dalton. Otherwise you just have to admit Dalton is better than Dak....if that happens of course and I am not saying it will.

basel90

Reaction score
if dalton takes this team to the playoffs, his value goes up and dak has to compromise on his demands.
if dalton wins a playoff game , dak has to take a serious pay cut to allow dallas to keep both. ManyFans will be clamouring for dalton to stay especially if he plays well. Remember , this is why dak took romo's starting position , he played well.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
if dalton takes this team to the playoffs, his value goes up and dak has to compromise on his demands.
if dalton wins a playoff game , dak has to take a serious pay cut to allow dallas to keep both. ManyFans will be clamouring for dalton to stay especially if he plays well. Remember , this is why dak took romo's starting position , he played well.

Here is the thing, with this team right now, Dalton can play good and we can still go 5-11, unless Dalton shows something he has never done before..(mind you Dak was on pace to shatter the nfl passing record)..there really won't be any judging against Dak..I do however believe he will get tagged next year as he was probably getting tagged before the injury. I'm pretty sure both parties want to get a clearer picture of the agreement that is comming. Now what i pray happens is Dalton balls out we have a good year and he earns himself a good contract and starting position on a team that needs him....

basel90

Reaction score
Here is the thing, with this team right now, Dalton can play good and we can still go 5-11, unless Dalton shows something he has never done before..(mind you Dak was on pace to shatter the nfl passing record)..there really won't be any judging against Dak..I do however believe he will get tagged next year as he was probably getting tagged before the injury. I'm pretty sure both parties want to get a clearer picture of the agreement that is comming. Now what i pray happens is Dalton balls out we have a good year and he earns himself a good contract and starting position on a team that needs him....

the argument with dak is whether he can win the difficult games . which so far his record indicates he cannot . if dalton shows up and wins some crucial games , i don't see how dallas lets him walk for a dak who wants 37 -40 mil. PC aside . Keeping dalton would be the optimal decision. Stats alone will not get it done . Jameis winston had more yards than dak and he is jobless. Few people want to discuss this , but this reality is out there and this game is unforgiving to teams that forget it is all about the W andL .

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
the argument with dak is whether he can win the difficult games . which so far his record indicates he cannot . if dalton shows up and wins some crucial games , i don't see how dallas lets him walk for a dak who wants 37 -40 mil. PC aside . Keeping dalton would be the optimal decision. Stats alone will not get it done . Jameis winston had more yards than dak and he is jobless. Few people want to discuss this , but this reality is out there and this game is unforgiving to teams that forget it is all about the W andL .

But thats the thing, how many good teams you going to beat with the worste defense in the league..again If the record is a QB stat again then it really isn't fair to Dalton either.....

To me if you've watched this team this year....no QB is winning crucial games with the other phases being this bad....

Qcard

Reaction score
I have seen multiple threads of how Prescott should or shouldn't get paid next year.

The incredible twist now is how Andy Dalton and the team does the rest of the year will go a long ways to deciding his future and Prescott's with Dallas.

Scenario 1: Dallas doesn't win division or make playoffs. I think Dalton doesn't return and Prescott is franchised or signed long term.

Scenario 2: Dallas wins the division, but loses in wildcard round. I think Dalton is used as leverage against Prescott. If Prescott doesn't sign a team friendly deal, Dallas then signs Dalton to a 2 to 3 year deal at 20 million per(like Bridgewater) till the next quarterback is found. Prescott is exclusively tagged. If there are no takers before free agency the tag is rescinded and Prescott becomes free agent(should net 3rd round pick).

Scenario 3: Dallas wins divison and wins more than one playoff game. Dallas is now between a rock and a hard place. Dalton gets resigned, but his asking price just went up north of 25 million per. Dallas uses exclusive tag on Prescott, but if there are no takers, hits free agency. Same as scenario 3.

Scenario 4: Dallas wins SB. Dalton is signed to a long term deal(four years)and Prescott is done in Dallas.

The only scenario I see that Prescott comes back is Dallas not having a successful 2020. The more success Dallas has, the chances Prescott comes back drops with each victory.

Ironically, Prescott has to root against Dallas for his future in Dallas.
I disagree with the Prescott rooting against Dallas for his own benefit. The implications of a losing season are more than just his job.....others heads will roll too not just Dak.

But, in principal you are correct, IF Andy Dalton pulls a Lazarus and does something he's never done "beat winning and Play-offs teams"...YES Jones could get suckered into letting Dak walk.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
After seeing the reaction of players and fans from around the NFL, it would not be good for business to let Dak go for nothing. Tagging Dak will happen. There are teams that would trade at least a 1st round pick for him. I believe Dak will sign a long term deal. He would be stupid to play another season under the tag.
What teams are trading a first rd pick for Dak? At least 3 are probably going to get a QB in the first with that pick so what teams are left that would realistically do this?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I disagree with the Prescott rooting against Dallas for his own benefit. The implications of a losing season are more than just his job.....others heads will roll too not just Dak.

But, in principal you are correct, IF Andy Dalton pulls a Lazarus and does something he's never done "beat winning and Play-offs teams"...YES Jones could get suckered into letting Dak walk.

Dak isn't rooting for the team to lose, if Dalton does take the team to the superbowl....odds are the rest of the team made a even more miraculous turn around than Dalton could've ( i mean whats he going to do throw for more passing stats than Dak had going?) everyone will see it and we should absolutley be behind Dalton. that doesnt mean Dak is gone he is still the better younger QB and as long as he heals right he will be QB 1 next year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

But we also know there is another side of the ball game and that is defense which is outside of the control of Dak or Dalton. If defense can shows some signs of life and start playing much better than they are now then yes I expect Dallas to be able to win games. Cowboys still have weapons on offense and these guys are producing. I fully expect them to continue to produce with Dalton